Looking for something with a massive soundstage...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been having a look about at amps recently to replace my NAD C326BEE. It's powering a pair of Mission 782's and a REL Storm III (Only comes on when I watch movies or listen to electronic stuff). Sources range from my computer to a Marantz CD63-KI Signiature.

I love the 'Musical Fidelity' sound. That is, very rich, warm, solid bottom end and a very thorough midrange. Nothing too sharp up high, but plenty of attack. Most importantly an almost limitless soundstage, the NAD seems to fill between the speakers, but not outwith. I've been looking specifically at the likes of the A5.5, but I have no way to demo the amp.

So basically i'm looking for something which has that 'Musical Fidelity' sound (The best sounding amp for this, I have heard, was a P270). The characteristics are semi-important, it is mainly the soundstage I want, as I am moving out in the summer (Yay for being a student!) and I want the entire house to be revolving around the sound in the main living room.

Preferably something about the £750 mark, pre/power is fine, buying used (and older kit) is also fine. Thoughts, recommendations?

T

the record spot

Well, if you can get one, anything like my Sansui AU-717 will work very well with Mission. I use mine with a pair of Mission 752s and the scale is incredible. Rated at 85wpc, it's apparently nearer 100. Excellent build, dual mono construction...there's a fair bit on it on the web, so do have a search. Best thing, you should get one for less than £250, you might be able to find one in the US if not the UK, so allow a further £100 to have one shipped.

EDIT: But you should be able to get a MF 305 amp (or similar) for about £400?

A

Anonymous

Hmmm

MF XA-2 and some XA50 power amps would suit very well IMO

But if you like the MF sound then dont discount NAD or Rotel either
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979:
Hmmm

MF XA-2 and some XA50 power amps would suit very well IMO

But if you like the MF sound then dont discount NAD or Rotel either
emotion-5.gif

The C326 has put me off NAD slightly, my dad had a C270 prior to his MF P270 and the difference was just unbelievable. Rotel have put me off with the very low current output on some of their amps, though I would like to try some of them in bridged mode.

XA50 could be a good bet, but it's a nightmare trying to find a pair of the darn things, rare as hens teeth. I'd probably pair those with an X-Pre (dad had one of those aswell, loved it).

@the record spot- Musical Fidelity don't make a 305? Unless you meant 300 or 308, but those sell for quite a bit over my budget as far as I know?

T

the record spot

Monstrous:@the record spot- Musical Fidelity don't make a 305? Unless you meant 300 or 308, but those sell for quite a bit over my budget as far as I know?

Typo on my part - I meant the 3.5 - incidentally, the 717 I mentioned is getting on for 34 years old, so when you mentioned older kit, that might be too long in the tooth for you. I'd probably seek out a MF to be honest, particularly if you like that sound. The difference in quality between it and the NAD (who's current roster appears to be off the pecking order compared to its previous efforts) will likely be substantial.

A

Anonymous

Have you actually spent time setting up your system in the room to try and expand the soundstage? I would suggest that moving yourself and speakers around may well help and is probably the biggest benefit you can bring to any system.

Have a read of this for a start@

http://www.immediasound.com/Speaker%20set-up%202009.pdf

TRENDING THREADS