Looking for some TV/console/home cinema audio connection advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, first post and looking for some advice. Just upgraded my home cinema setup by selling my Tosh 32" CRT and buying a new Panasonic 32" LCD. Looks lovely, very pleased with it indeed and it has an optical digital out. Now with the Tosh my DVD player was connected using component video and I ran a separate coaxial digital cable from the DVD player to my receiver. My PS2 and XBox also had separate digital audio connections to my receiver but I've now bought an XBox 360 Pro with HDMI but it has no digital out. Does this mean that once I've connected the 360 to the TV with HDMI I should then connect the TV to my receiver via the optical out? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've never had to connect things up like this! What's a good optical digital cable around the £30-50 mark? Thanks everyone

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The Xbox 360 with HDMI does have an optical out. Have a look in the box and you should find an adaptor that you put in-between the AV-out port and the HDMI cable. It stumped me at first... until I read the manual.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys, will have another look when I get home tonight, still not had time to set up the 360 despite buying it on Sunday...

A

Anonymous

Guys, just checked and I don't have that cable. Perhaps only the Elite has that cable, as I definitely don't. I have the HD Component cable which does have optical out, but it's not an HDMI cable. Looks like I'll have to use the TV's optical out after all...

A

Anonymous

Right, I've worked it out now, though it's slightly convoluted. If any cares, because my 360 is the Pro and the Elite, it doesn't come with an HDMI cable and doesn't have the adapter shown above, What it does have is the HD-Component cable, and the plug for this has an optical socket, so I'll have to plug that in and run an optical cable from that for the sound and use my HDMI lead for the video. Job done!

A

Anonymous

Right, scratch that, I can't. The HD-Component plug is so fat that if I plug it in, I can't physically fit the HDMI lead beneath it, so back to sqaure one...

TRENDING THREADS