Also looked at the bdi range just a bit expensive for me

Search the web only thing is the blok which are expensive again

Needs to be wife friendly she hates cleaning the glass shelves

So it needs to be sort of closed

Thanks colin

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Entirely closed may not be a good idea with hot av kit. I had similar concerns to you, and decided to go for a custom cabinet. See the link to my av kit in my signature if interested. This has advantages of cost, size and aesthetics. Different woods and finishes can be used. I used stump furniture, chunky monkey also makes a lot of cabinets, both are worth googling.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Even if an open cabinet I would use one or two fans (I recommend QuietPC for excellent service as described in one of my links). Bif fan of fans me! Coooool. Gumtree for a second hand stand? I had trouble finding one to take my centre speaker but light oak furniture can be sourced very easily.

Good luck:cheers:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Even if an open cabinet I would use one or two fans (I recommend QuietPC for excellent service as described in one of my links). Bif fan of fans me! Coooool. Gumtree for a second hand stand? I had trouble finding one to take my centre speaker but light oak furniture can be sourced very easily.

Good luck:cheers:

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't find a cabinet at a sensible price that matched my requirements:

1. glass doors (so remotes would work, btw "IR Glass" doesn't exist, it's just "glass"!);

2. central section to hold centre speaker (open);

3. open at the back to allow cables in, and air to cool amp.

Couldn't find anything that would accommodate my needs anywhere. And I looked practically everywhere. In the end, had an AV unit amd a matching cabinet to hold DVDs/BDs made in India from untreated Sheesham/mango tree hardwood. It's the same stuff as the John Lewis Batamba range. It cost me £670 for both pieces and they match our nest of tables and dining table too!

I would post a picture, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so unless I first upload to a web album, which my Work PC won't let me do...!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You didn't say what budget you're working with.

I have a BLOK cabinet (it's the older version of their AVEOS Trio design), though I appreciate it's rather pricey. I saw the cabinet as an investment that could house future AV kit, which helped justify the outlay. I also bought the cabinet ex-display and refurbished (which is essentially like new) from BLOK's ebay store, for quite a bit less than the RRP.

It's roomy and entirely open at the back, so I've had no problems with ventilation. The cabinet also allows for vertical siting of a centre speaker behind a cloth housing. I was concerned this might negatively affect speaker integration, but with a slight upward tilt of the centre speaker, which remains nicely hidden away inside the cabinet, there are no problems with integration at all.

I spent a huge amount of time trying to find the right cabinet and this offered the right blend of style and performance. The downside is that you have to pay, whether that's for a custom design or an expensive cabinet like the AVEOS Trio. The BLOK website is worth a look, if you're not put off by the expense...

colin563

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies

I will look into a custom unit from stump

And I will Have to have a ride out to Chris sharps furniture

I would like to see a picture of your unit you got from India big aura

I'm still looking so if anybody got any other ideas

Thanks colin

TRENDING THREADS