Looking for CD stereo system

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
I currently have the Bose Wave System IV, but it has issues. It will randomly skip, make clicking noises, and sometimes not read discs.

I've had this for 8+ years, I don't really want another one! So I'm looking for a replacement.

This is for a bedroom.

I was told a CD player with amp and speakers would be overkill for a bedroom.

What do you think would be the best choice, in this situation?

Thanks!!

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Was looking at CD players + bookshelf speakers.

I should also mention, I want this to sound even better than the Bose Wave System IV.

You might be able to fix the Bose with a laser lens cleaner. Allsop make the most popular one.

CD players are like hen’s teeth now in all in one systems - cars don’t have them either. However a nice little Denon system with two speakers plays CD and will sound much better than an all-in-one, unless you buy a Naim Muso for a grand.

https://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m41dab/review

Gray

I too used to think the little Denons looked like a good choice - enough to make my brother buy a DAB40.
However, several users have commented on the mechanical noise from the CD players. Indeed my brother's was never really right and is now unusable.
There have been quite a few issues with the electronics on the new 41 model too.
True, you can hear the odd horror story about anything but, despite its best-buy reviews, if I was buying it would not be a DAB 41.

Reactions: spirit90
All the above suggestions are great. The ma-in-law has a little Denon system. Sounds good.

I would also suggest Marantz M-CR 612, which is a small all-in-one amp, CDplayer, Bluetooth, AirPlay, DAB tuner. Match that with some Neat Iota speakers. That would my ideal choice for a compact bedroom set-up.

Tinman1952

+1 for the excellent Marantz M-CR 612 or you could look at the little Yamaha CRX- N470D. You can buy it with or without the Yamaha speakers.....👍

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all the great responses.

My budget is about $1,500 Canadian, so about $1,200 US.

I did try cleaning my Bose with a disc cleaner. I've also had it repaired a few times. So, I'm looking for something different.

Do I just need a CD player + speakers? Or do I need a receiver or amp? Again, this is just for a bedroom, but I also want to have great quality.

Tinman1952

Thanks for all the great responses.

My budget is about $1,500 Canadian, so about $1,200 US.

I did try cleaning my Bose with a disc cleaner. I've also had it repaired a few times. So, I'm looking for something different.

Do I just need a CD player + speakers? Or do I need a receiver or amp? Again, this is just for a bedroom, but I also want to have great quality.
If you just get a CD player then you will need to connect it to an amp or receiver to drive your speakers. However the suggestions above have an amplifier built in so....just add speakers.

rainsoothe

Hi. If you're not 100 percent invested in CD and use a streaming service, you might get away with a Sonos One and a Sonos one SL.

If it's CD playback you want, though, I'd look at either Marantz CD5005 + Marantz PM6007 (or any PM6003 onwards, to be honest, if you don't mind SH), or a Cambridge Audio AXC25 and AXA35 for electronics, and Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 or Dali Spektor 2 speakers.

Try before you buy if you can, and let your ears decide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts