looking for an MM cartridge for Rega Planar 6

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi ! about to buy a new P6 with the RB330 . so time to get to find the perfect match for it , an MM cartridge NOT by Rega . Options are Goldring 1042 MM (love its sound) , Nagaoka MP200 (havent listened to it but read many good comments here) , or a second hand JVC Z1S (a friend of mine offers it for about €150 , incl a new Jico SAS hyperelliptical Stylus , i also love its sound) . what you think ? first , do ALL three work fine (their compliances being compatible with the armboard ?) , and also what about vta add-on rings ? are their heights fine for the RB330 or not ?

which one would you choose and why ??? price limit is 350GBP . thank you

indietronic said:
Hi ! about to buy a new P6 with the RB330 . so time to get to find the perfect match for it , an MM cartridge NOT by Rega . Options are Goldring 1042 MM (love its sound) , Nagaoka MP200 (havent listened to it but read many good comments here) , or a second hand JVC Z1S (a friend of mine offers it for about €150 , incl a new Jico SAS hyperelliptical Stylus , i also love its sound) . what you think ? first , do ALL three work fine (their compliances being compatible with the armboard ?) , and also what about vta add-on rings ? are their heights fine for the RB330 or not ?

which one would you choose and why ??? price limit is 350GBP . thank you

Your budget is just shy of the Audio Technica cartridge I would recommend (the 750SH) however it would buy the VM740ML. The problem here is that the Goldring 1042 is available cheaper at £275 so this is the one you should go for in my opinion.

You might be able to find the MP200 for around your maximum budget but it is no longer the bargain it used to be.

I am not too sure of the dimensions of the Ania cartridge that normally comes fitted to the Planar 6 but would doubt you would need any shims.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm no cartridge expert, far from it, but I know what I like. I've been using Nagaoka cartridges for years, slowly working my way up the range, when funds allowed. The sound really suits me and my listening tastes, which are pretty eclectic. Got an MP200 in my Origin Live tweaked RB300, really happy with it.

6and8 said:
I'm no cartridge expert, far from it, but I know what I like. I've been using Nagaoka cartridges for years, slowly working my way up the range, when funds allowed. The sound really suits me and my listening tastes, which are pretty eclectic. Got an MP200 in my Origin Live tweaked RB300, really happy with it.

I think the sound produced by the MP200 would suit a lot of people however it's elliptical stylus has been surpassed by others fineline and Shibata types. The price hikes a few years ago pushed it down the ratings in sound per pound, in my opinion. Unless you can find it cheaper by importing direct from Japan where it would make more sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts