Looking for amp recommendations.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You can get the Nad C 388 (350W/4Ω 250W/8Ω) and power both. It is a Class D amp with an SMPS which means well-controlled bass and low power bills. From the official product page:
NAD has moved away from the old-fashioned power-hungry linear power supplies and Class AB output stages that waste nearly half of the energy consumed and produce heat rather than sound. Instead, we have developed even better performing circuits based on switch mode power supplies and Class D output stages.
You will need to use an equalizer though to account for the 8db in sensitivity difference. Unless you preffer a 8db bass boost in the range 48 Hz - 120 Hz.

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Maybe some clarifications are needed. The NAD C 388 has two pairs of binding posts. Using both pairs means the amplifier sees half the impendance, so in this case the 2 pairs of 8ohm loads are seen as a single pair of 4ohm loads. The 350W/4Ω per channel are split between the pair of the JBL control 25 AV and the JBL SB210. The subwoofer accepts two channel input and so takes the sum of the delivered power, which in this case is 350W. The figures are IHF, not continuous power.

Danny G

Jan 18, 2023
Visit site
We might need a little bit more information than that I am afraid.
Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you & everyone for your speedy responses.

Budget is not an issue though keeping it on a similar level of what the speakers run would be ideal.

The space is roughly 50m2 or roughly 538ft2 designed for Flamenco performances (dance, voice, guitar, winds...)

We intend on streaming through a zoom live trap L 12 & an atem mini extreme.

New or used... doesn't matter.

The room is treated acoustically, tile floors, 37% of wall surfaces covered in panels, membrane bass traps in all corners, perforated ceiling tiles with 140kg/m3 foam above them.

Thanks again!

Danny G

Jan 18, 2023
Visit site
You can get the Nad C 388 (350W/4Ω 250W/8Ω) and power both. It is a Class D amp with an SMPS which means well-controlled bass and low power bills. From the official product page:

You will need to use an equalizer though to account for the 8db in sensitivity difference. Unless you preffer a 8db bass boost in the range 48 Hz - 120 Hz.

8db difference could be nice with the Flamenco Guitar especially when tuning down to D and C.
Thank you npxavar, I truly appreciate it.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Err... this is the "What Hi-Fi" forum, we are supposed to give Hi-Fi recommedations. Flamenco is acoustic music and would benefit greatly from such a choice.

That being said, given the dimensions of the room you definately need to overprovision. The Nad M22 V2 700W/4Ω 400W/8Ω is an SMPS/Class D power amplifier. It obviously does not have an integrated DAC, but you probably already have one so that shouldn't be a problem.

Err... this is the "What Hi-Fi" forum, we are supposed to give Hi-Fi recommedations. Flamenco is acoustic music and would benefit greatly from such a choice.

That being said, given the dimensions of the room you definately need to overprovision. The Nad M22 V2 700W/4Ω 400W/8Ω is an SMPS/Class D power amplifier. It obviously does not have an integrated DAC, but you probably already have one so that shouldn't be a problem.
It sure is WHF, but that doesn’t prevent a new member inadvertently asking an inappropriate question. Did you actually read the specs I posted a link to in #5 above? That’s not a Hifi speaker. It has transformer taps for heavens sake!

Last edited:

Danny G

Jan 18, 2023
Visit site
It sure is WHF, but that doesn’t prevent a new member inadvertently asking an inappropriate question. Did you actually read the specs I posted a link to in #5 above? That’s not a Hifi speaker. It has transformer taps for heavens sake!
Yes, my mistake. I'm in the wrong forum but if anyone can help out... I bought these because they're good for both indoor and outdoor so I can take them from the venue to outdoor events. I just don't know what amp to get to power the 3 without having to complicate things.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
There is also an 8ohm bypass which can be connected to a regular amp. The difference between a Hi-Fi SMPS/Class D amp and a PA amp is a fan for extra heat dissipation, so far as heavy duty use is concerned. Unless he plays them at movie theater levels for hours on end he should be fine with the M22. Worst case is that protection systems kick in and then lowering by 3db will do the trick. Class D amps have 85+% efficiency for most of their range including the max output. Class A/B is another story ofcourse and that would indeed be disasterous.

Crown and Behringer make good PA amps anyway, for a fraction of the M22's cost. Dual binding posts are not really necessary since you do not need to selectively activate the main speakers and the subwoofer. You just connect all cables to the same pair.

Yes, my mistake. I'm in the wrong forum but if anyone can help out... I bought these because they're good for both indoor and outdoor so I can take them from the venue to outdoor events. I just don't know what amp to get to power the 3 without having to complicate things.
No criticism intended towards you, but I was concerned you were getting suggestions for domestic hifi kit rather than something more along the lines of heavy-duty PA applications.

Is there a studio/music shop you can approach for suggestions?

Something like this UK store…

Last edited:

Danny G

Jan 18, 2023
Visit site
No criticism intended towards you, but I was concerned you were getting suggestions for domestic hifi kit rather than something more along the lines of heavy-duty PA applications.

Is there a studio/music shop you can approach for suggestions?

Something like this UK store…

Yeah, there's a shop in Seville. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

Would something like this suffice to power all 3?
ref=sr_1_37
I for one don’t know. It looks more like the sort of kit you need than any Hi-Fi product, that’s for sure. There are several things you need to clarify with a dealer though, including:-
1. Exactly how do you connect each speaker, which terminals, what cable etc.
2. How do you balance the subs versus the mains
3. Do the sources you want to use have the appropriate inputs on the amp.

Bon chance!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts