Looking for advice on decent stereo setup...

laurensv

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here and looking for advice :) I'm specifically looking for a decent stereo setup to listen to mainly music (and the occasional movie). The only component I'm currently sure of is the Marantz AV8801 (without built in amp).

So, I'm still looking for a decent amp and stereo speakers. I'm only interested in bookshelf speakers (possible with a separate sub).

The kind of music I'm listening to are mostly rock (70s-80s), electronic music & metal. The max. price per speaker is under €1000. I have no idea about the amp yet...

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I notice that you are talking in Euro, would you mind telling us where you are located? This would help in recommending local stuff where possible.

Another thing, what kind of size (in centimeters or inches) are you looking for regarding the bookshelf speakers? Would you need front-ported ones?

Up to 1,000€ per speaker will give you quite a lot of possibilities, you could also go for actives and connect them directly to your AV8801 as you don't have an amp yet.

J

jcbrum

Actives would seem the obvious choice.

Consider AVI DM5 speakers at less than £400 each. They do subs too.

JC

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can live with the looks.

A pair of Event Opals.

No amp required, fabulously detailed, extremely powerful, handle all music well.

You could also look at the larger Genelecs or Focals.

laurensv

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Why the Marantz AV8801 if you're only going to use it for stereo?

For all ports. I do not need 11.2, but I do want Airplay, Spotify etc... I also rather have different separate components then 1 box which does everything.

EvPa said:
I notice that you are talking in Euro, would you mind telling us where you are located? This would help in recommending local stuff where possible.

Another thing, what kind of size (in centimeters or inches) are you looking for regarding the bookshelf speakers? Would you need front-ported ones?

Up to 1,000€ per speaker will give you quite a lot of possibilities, you could also go for actives and connect them directly to your AV8801 as you don't have an amp yet.

I'm from the Benelux. Front-ported would be the best :)

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
You do know that even a 20 year old yamaha stereo amp would sound better then that A/V receiver right?

If you are going for stereo then get a stereo amp. The av receiver that. Does everything and makes u pancakes on top does not belong.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
laurensv said:
I'm from the Benelux. Front-ported would be the best :)

Ok, since you are from Belgium/Luxemburg/Netherlands and if you do not mind the looks of studio stuff, definitely take a look at Musikhaus Thomann's website, shipping to Benelux is free if your order is over 199€ (8€ otherwise) .

As Thomann sells a HUGE quantity of all sorts of music gear all over the world they usually have pretty good discounts.

For example they have Event Opals (as recommended by mpapo) at 1,333€ per speaker, they currently have one B-Stock at 1,195€).

They are a bit over-budget but remember that you don't have to buy a separate amp if you go with actives.

Also worth considering are:

- ADAM A8X (655€/speaker, some B-Stock at 545€)

- ADAM S1X (888€/speaker)

- Genelec M040 (595€/speaker, they have some B-Stock at 553€)

- Genelec 8240 (1,290€/speaker) this one is not front-ported though.

(this is obviously a non-exhaustive list, just some stuff on the top of my head)

ADAM also sells the ARTist range, basically a more "home-friendly" version of their A*X series, they are back-ported but have room controls.

I had to remove all links, otherwise the forum would not let me post. Just go to Thomann's website (a quick Google search will get you there) and look for what I listed.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Probably your best bet is to head down to a hifi dealer and do some serious listening. Speakers, in particular, you should NEVER buy without listening first..

Active speakers are one choice but passives are more flexible, and far more common. They're also designed for a domestic environment, whereas most actives are designed for nearfield listening.

For amplifiers, if you buy something containing the letters NAIM you won't go too far wrong.

As others have said, why do you need an AV amp? I use a standard integrated amp that takes my CD player, DAC, TV and Playstation.

J

jcbrum

I would guess that AV 11.2 pre-amp would out-perform anything sold by Naim, particularly with regard to price, and performance too.

You could connect any number of active AVI DM5s to it if you wanted, and even a couple of subs too, and have full control of as many channels as you desired. I reckon that combination would easily out-perform a Naim sterero amp and passive speakers. IMO.

JC

p.s. I suppose you're speaking as a Naim dealer, Spiny (David).

J

jcbrum

No, I don't think he's a shill, - just wrong.

He can do what he likes with his commercial activities. It's a free country.

JC

J

jcbrum

Actually, JD, your question has woken me up.

For some reason, probably distraction with other matters, I thought the post was from Spiny Norman, not Al Lemon.

I now realise my mistake. I owe you an apology lemon for my confusing you with Spiny. - Sorry.

However, my opinion of Naim with respect to the OP's AV pre-amp, and AVI DM5's still stands. I did say, IMO.

Sorry all, carry on as you were, I'll try harder.

JC

J

jcbrum

You have to read a different forum to find that out.

Who is lemon ?

J

jcbrum

I just got an email from Max, revealing his suspicions about Spiny's real id. :O

J

jcbrum

HaHa, perhaps your wishful thinking, marou, but hardly reality.

I'm just one of the many happy AVI customers, but they do seem to be doing splendidly well, atm.

Happy Christmas
smiley-smile.gif

JC

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
jcbrum said:
HaHa, perhaps your wishful thinking, marou, but hardly reality.

I'm just one of the many happy AVI customers, but they do seem to be doing splendidly well, atm.

Happy Christmas
smiley-smile.gif

JC

and yet you never come across as happy, JC - I wonder why

J

jcbrum

I thought he was banned on here ?

Is that not the case ?

Has JD recanted ?

jc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts