Question Looking for a new (valve) amplifier

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Dear friends

I introduce myself - I am Jordi Vives, from Belgium. I post my first question as i need a bit of advice.

My current stereo system, particularly the amplifier, is on its last legs after many years of service. I have "small system" adequate to my room - a Marantz PM4001 2 x 30 watts amplifier, a Marantz CD5001 CD player and a pair of Mourdant Short Avant 902i speakers with a recommended amplifier rating 15 - 100W. The ampli is, as I said, about to give up the ghost, because the tone defeat is faulty and it only runs with it on, and the sound has random interruptions now and then (I have verified all the connections, etc but no luck). So it is time for a change.

Given my preferences, which center on classical music including the recordings from the great conductors of the mono era, I want to try a valve (tube) amplifier this time as I like the warm sound it produces. So the question:

I want to keep the same CD player and speakers, which to me sound great - so what tube amplifier would fit the bill, which would equal or surpass the Marantz PM4001 in quality, neither over nor under powered (I do not listen to music super-loud), and not breaking the bank, sort of a nice entry level valve amp that would have a cost around 600 to 700 Eur absolute max (with the valves), available in the EU? I want clean balanced sound, no inflated bass, good rendering of classical instruments and voices.

Remote control not a big issue for me, if it had a mono on/off switch it would be great but not essential.

Lastly, as a "bonus question", to couple my turntable, what kind of economical but decent phono preamp would be needed?

Thank you very much for any advice

Kindest regards

Dear friends

I introduce myself - I am Jordi Vives, from Belgium. I post my first question as i need a bit of advice.

My current stereo system, particularly the amplifier, is on its last legs after many years of service. I have "small system" adequate to my room - a Marantz PM4001 2 x 30 watts amplifier, a Marantz CD5001 CD player and a pair of Mourdant Short Avant 902i speakers with a recommended amplifier rating 15 - 100W. The ampli is, as I said, about to give up the ghost, because the tone defeat is faulty and it only runs with it on, and the sound has random interruptions now and then (I have verified all the connections, etc but no luck). So it is time for a change.

Given my preferences, which center on classical music including the recordings from the great conductors of the mono era, I want to try a valve (tube) amplifier this time as I like the warm sound it produces. So the question:

I want to keep the same CD player and speakers, which to me sound great - so what tube amplifier would fit the bill, which would equal or surpass the Marantz PM4001 in quality, neither over nor under powered (I do not listen to music super-loud), and not breaking the bank, sort of a nice entry level valve amp that would have a cost around 600 to 700 Eur absolute max (with the valves), available in the EU? I want clean balanced sound, no inflated bass, good rendering of classical instruments and voices.

Remote control not a big issue for me, if it had a mono on/off switch it would be great but not essential.

Lastly, as a "bonus question", to couple my turntable, what kind of economical but decent phono preamp would be needed?

Thank you very much for any advice

Kindest regards
Details of your turntable / cartridge might help along with budget for phono preamp, should one be required.

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Would a Yaqin MC 13S fit the bill? I have been reading a lot of reviews, and this model seems to be acceptable and within budget and seems to approximately fit with the impedance and power of my speakers...

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
The next challenge will be to find one in Belgium. I feel very nervous about buying such a thing online and it arriving bashed by the post handlers. Any suggestions about possible places in Belgium or Netherlands?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts