Looking for a new subwoofer for 2 channel music

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

im after a new subwoofer for my 2 channel setup, looking to spend £500, dont mind going second hand if i can pick up a bargain.

The 2 subs im looking at atm are SVS SB-1000 and BK Electronics P12 300-SB-FF.

Now in terms of connection the SVS sub has high level connections which i like as i can use speaker cable directly to my power amps so i dont have to use a splitter on my preamp.

I actually prefer the BK Sub but it doesnt have high level connections. Is there another way i could connect this sub to my Preamp without having to use a splitter into the pre outs?

My preamp is musical fidelity A5 and power amps are the 550K from Musical fidelity also.

any other recommended subs i should be looking at?

TrevC

krish123 said:
Hi guys,

im after a new subwoofer for my 2 channel setup, looking to spend £500, dont mind going second hand if i can pick up a bargain.

The 2 subs im looking at atm are SVS SB-1000 and BK Electronics P12 300-SB-FF.

Now in terms of connection the SVS sub has high level connections which i like as i can use speaker cable directly to my power amps so i dont have to use a splitter on my preamp.

I actually prefer the BK Sub but it doesnt have high level connections. Is there another way i could connect this sub to my Preamp without having to use a splitter into the pre outs?

My preamp is musical fidelity A5 and power amps are the 550K from Musical fidelity also.

any other recommended subs i should be looking at?

The BK does have high level connections and as a BK owner I would recommend them. I would also recommend buying an antimode 8033 and use a preamp splitter at low level to connect if you want the best possible bass.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
i just had a look at the rear of the BK sub and it does have some sort of high level connection but they are not speaker terminals, some sort of other connections. How do you go about connecting it up this way? what sort of cable would you need?

is it better generally to use low level connections then ? i just thought splitting the signal between the front speakers could compromise the sound coming out of the fronts? Iv connected it up this way before and it appears that the fronts do seem to lose a bit of signal and it comes through in the sound slightly hence why im not keen on connecting it up this way.

TrevC

krish123 said:
i just had a look at the rear of the BK sub and it does have some sort of high level connection but they are not speaker terminals, some sort of other connections. How do you go about connecting it up this way? what sort of cable would you need?

is it better generally to use low level connections then ? i just thought splitting the signal between the front speakers could compromise the sound coming out of the fronts? Iv connected it up this way before and it appears that the fronts do seem to lose a bit of signal and it comes through in the sound slightly hence why im not keen on connecting it up this way.

If you use the antimode you will need to use a line level input, if not you can use speaker level. There's no quality difference. I use a home made attenuator made with resistors connected to the speakers on my set up. The high level inputs use a special Neutrik comnnector because it needs to be airtight. The connecting plug and lead is supplied with the sub.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
all BK subs got both high and low level connections, they also provide all necessary cabling.. even the cheapest gemini II is a cracking sub.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It is very difficult to integrate a sub into a two channel system. If all you are looking for is some 'boom' to go with your 'tish' then fair enough, but if things like a flat frequency response and reasonable phase behaviour matter to you then I would put the cost of the sub toward a better pair of speakers.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
hi andy,

I already have a decent pair of fronts, the Dali Opticon 8's, im just after that fuller more even bass response across the room.

So not just big bass for sure.

Im actually in the process in acoustically treating my room, so far i have treated the side walls and rear wall with good results.

I need to finish this with adding bass traps to the front corners and maybe even treat the ceiling with more absorption.

Once this is done i think the sound will be on point. But iv heard that subwoofers can smooth out the bass response especially by using 2 of them which i plan to do.

At the moment i just have a cheap old sub so not really up to the task tbh thats why i think a good sub is required.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
It is very difficult to integrate a sub into a two channel system. If all you are looking for is some 'boom' to go with your 'tish' then fair enough, but if things like a flat frequency response and reasonable phase behaviour matter to you then I would put the cost of the sub toward a better pair of speakers.

it was the easiest task in my set up to integrate sub with monitors.. possibly, high quality monitors and not worse sub are needed to achieve good results? if the main speakers drivers have all sort of problems and are not crossed over properly ( quite likely boomy) the sub will mess the sound even more.. speakers like zensor 3 or kef q300 integrate with sub terribly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts