Looking for a Hi-Fi Setup for a bedroom

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
I'm looking for a hi-fi setup for my bedroom. It will be for playing CDs.

The CD player must run CDs silently, or at least extremely quietly.

I've had a Bose Wave IV, but it stopped working. I also have Panasonic PMX800. The sound is good, but a bunch of my discs produce noise like whirring or clicking.

I'm very new to hi-fi setups, so I'm not sure exactly what I would need.

Thank you!

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Could be just an issue with certain CDs, most players make some noise when the disc is first inserted, reading the contents etc. I noticed you've only had the PMX800 for a couple of years, is it still under warranty?

Always an issue with all in ones is when a part of it fails. I notice the PMX has a digital in so just a CD transport would work or a full CDP. Plenty of both around, depends on your budget, but Marantz are highly regarded.

Reactions: Gray

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Could be just an issue with certain CDs, most players make some noise when the disc is first inserted, reading the contents etc. I noticed you've only had the PMX800 for a couple of years, is it still under warranty?

Always an issue with all in ones is when a part of it fails. I notice the PMX has a digital in so just a CD transport would work or a full CDP. Plenty of both around, depends on your budget, but Marantz are highly regarded.
Unfortunately is out of warranty.

At first I thought it might be the CDs. I have about 12 that aren't working out of many. But the thing is, half of these are bought-new, in great condition, and professionally pressed by a record label.

So I'm not sure if I should repurchase those CDs for $300, or get a new hi-fi system instead.

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
I should also mention I have about 640 CDs.

That would mean only 1.8% have this problem.

But I talked with a guy who has 4000+ CDs and he never experienced noise.

Reactions: DougK1

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
The noise I mean is either a whirring or clicking sound for up to 8 seconds after the music starts. You can't notice it if the music is loud, but during quiet music, it's noticeable.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Unfortunately is out of warranty.

At first I thought it might be the CDs. I have about 12 that aren't working out of many. But the thing is, half of these are bought-new, in great condition, and professionally pressed by a record label.

So I'm not sure if I should repurchase those CDs for $300, or get a new hi-fi system instead.
I doubt purchasing them again would make much difference. The only issues I've ever had is with used CDs, but these have generally ripped okay. I wouldn't ditch the PMX as it is an amplifier and a DAC, plus you like how it sounds. Go for a CD transport or a full CDP is where I'd personally be looking, maybe at a later date add an amplifier of the same make.

Fandango Andy

I've had a Bose Wave IV, but it stopped working. I also have Panasonic PMX800. The sound is good, but a bunch of my discs produce noise like whirring or clicking.

Thank you!
How much do you want to spend? What are the limitations on size and positioning?

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I'll have to figure this out.

But there are CD players that are silent? I wasn't sure if it was the CDs or the player but now it sounds like the player is the problem.
After the player has read the CD it should be silent whilst playing unless you put your ear close to it. It shouldn't be making strange noises during playback.

There is another cheap way of doing this...do you have a spare PC or a laptop? If so rip your CD collection and using a media player playback via the PC/laptop to the PMX. Personally I think I would rip these problem CDs first to see if there is an inherent issue with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Witterings

Think you want to find out what the problem actually is before making any decisions ...

I'd take a mix of the "problem" CD's and some that are OK to a shop and get a demo with a couple of different systems .... similar form factor is the Marantz Melody X MCR612 but I'd also try just a CD transport and see how they compare.

Other cost effective analytics is pick the worst CD and buy a new copy (rather than replacing all the bad ones) and see if it does the same, or if you have the equipment RIP a copy to a writable CD and see what it does ...... at least you'll know where the problem lies.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Thank you!
CD players tend to make whirling sound. Some of the costlier models have better tray mechanism that may result in more silent operations.
If you don't mind me asking; have you considered Streamer/DAC where you can copy all your CD's on to a USB or SSD drive and play your music via the Streamer? 100% silent :)

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Witterings

All 640 of them??
Crack on!

If it was a direction I wanted to take I'd happily do that, granted I sit behind a computer all day for work but you can very easily do 5 a day without breaking a sweat, it's not like you need them all done at once.
He could start with the ones that are making the noise and just slowly do it bit by bit with the ability to play all the others that aren't making a noise on the CD player in the meantime and then proritise the most wanted ones first.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Witterings

I've just recently added a 4tb drive to my Nvidia Shield and have embarked upon ripping all my live music concert DVD's to it, for each one I want the chapters named so I don't need the cover to be able to find / skip to teh tracks I want so am going in and entering every one manually.
Often there's an intro at the beginning or something else that gets thrown in somewhere so the included playlist isn't always right, you have to play the DVD clicking forward for each chapter and compare to what's on the playlist making sure they're all right .... now this is a comeplete PITA .... in comparison ripping CD's is a stroll in the park.

Reactions: Jasonovich

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Other cost effective analytics is pick the worst CD and buy a new copy (rather than replacing all the bad ones) and see if it does the same, or if you have the equipment RIP a copy to a writable CD and see what it does ...... at least you'll know where the problem lies.

I'm going to replace 1 CD for cheap. Should I go with the same pressing, or try a different one?

Witterings

What software do you use? I have used Handbrake in the past, but is there anything better these days?

I've been using a mix of mainly MakeMKV and sometimes Handbrake .... MakeMKV is a LOT quicker to rip them and you can emter the chapters as well, it does an exact copy ..... Handbrake is slower but compresses so say a 7gb DVD will come out at between 1.5 to 3 gb so it really depnds what you priority is.
I don't think Hanbrake loses much if any video quality but I'm more interested in the music anyway. so doesn't really matter if it does
I do use Handbrake for the few Blu Rays I have as otherwise they're about 35gb which is an awful lot of data to store.

Reactions: jjbomber

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Go for a CD transport or a full CDP is where I'd personally be looking, maybe at a later date add an amplifier of the same make.
So I would plug the CD transport or CD player into the main unit, and then use the same speakers?

I'm not sure how the CD player would even be connected to the unit.

I'm a newbie.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
"The CD player must run CDs silently, or at least extremely quietly." Is this so that you can get to sleep?
Streaming services have over 100 million songs and they play silently but are obviously noisy if you turn the volume up.
You could put the CD player in the next room, up against the closest wall and operate it through the wall with the remote.
Drill a little hole in the wall to route the wires through to the amp.

Last edited:

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
"The CD player must run CDs silently, or at least extremely quietly." Is this so that you can get to sleep?
Streaming services have over 100 million songs and they play silently but are obviously noisy if you turn the volume up.
You could put the CD player in the next room, up against the closest wall and operate it through the wall with the remote.
Drill a little hole in the wall to route the wires through to the amp.
No, I just meant a CD player that doesn't make noise during music. Certain CDs on my PMX 800 make clicking and whirring sounds during music.

Last edited:

Witterings

So I would plug the CD transport or CD player into the main unit, and then use the same speakers?

I'm not sure how the CD player would even be connected to the unit.

I'm a newbie.

1723185300036.png

The back of the unit will look like this, at the top right ot says audio in and the CD may have a lead coming out of it with 2 plugs that will go into there or there may be an optical out on the CD player and you can see the optical in (opt in) marked in the picture as well see use either of those 2 methods.
There'll then be a button on the unit / remote to switch your source.

I would check the CD's at a store 1st or you may buy a CD player, unpack it all and find it makes no difference then you'll have to package it back up and return.

Last edited:

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
View attachment 7216

The back of the unit will look like this, at the top right ot says audio in and the CD may have a lead coming out of it with 2 plugs that will go into there or there may be an optical out on the CD player and you can see the optical in (opt in) marked in the picture as well see use either of those 2 methods.
There'll then be a button on the unit / remote to switch your source.

I would check the CD's at a store 1st or you may buy a CD player, unpack it all and find it makes no difference then you'll have to package it back up and return.
Thank you!

Just to make sure, the whirring and clicking sounds are coming from the CD player, not the amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts