Looking for a hi-fi music system for cafe.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am opening a new cafe this March. And I am looking for a budget hi-fi solution for the cafe. I want to use the hi-fi system with our computer rather than an independent player. The main hall is 20m X 8m and there is a balcony of 15m X 4m. So I am thinking of 3 wall mounted speakers in the hall and 1 in the balcony. Kindly suggest a solution best for my situation. Thanks in advance.

Abhay

John Duncan

Hi there and welcome. What's your budget rivoud?

You should note that having three spekers in 1 place and 1 somewhere else isn't impossible, but could have slightly odd consequences since in some places you'll only get half the stereo sound, and a single speaker, even from the highest of high end systems, can sound rubbish...

A

Anonymous

Hi John, thanks for the suggestion. My budget is 500 pounds. And as you said about the speaker arrangement, two of them in the hall and two in the balcony should work then. Would I be requiring any other piece of equipment other than my pc to setup the speaker system. thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I did run a network player in my pub (Squeez and sonus) which seem to work well if you only have 1 zone, however if you have more rooms with thick brick walls this isn't the best solution.

I currently using Brennan JB7 Music player (one in each room), the amp is powerful enough (I am using, hard to drive, Acoustic Energy AE1), for the price it's a very good product.

John Duncan

rivoud said:
Hi John, thanks for the suggestion. My budget is 500 pounds. And as you said about the speaker arrangement, two of them in the hall and two in the balcony should work then. Would I be requiring any other piece of equipment other than my pc to setup the speaker system. thanks

No other than some cabling. I suspect you might need a lot of it so a 100m roll of two core electrical might be your best bet :)

Personally, with a big space to fill and two sets of speakers to run, I'd get a second hand AV amp (their depreciation is vertiginous) and a couple of pais of £100 speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s can still be had for that), which leaves you plenty spare for cable and brackets.

A quick hunt on eBay and I'd buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DSP-AX620-Hi-fi-Home-sound-Stereo-Integrated-Amp-Amplifier-Separate-/120866194517?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1c242fc455

I actually think it's a bit dear (£70 is nearer the mark) but it should work well for you.

If you want to buy new (as you may do), I'd get a Cambridge Audio 650a for £250 from Richer Sounds and the same speakers, though you then start to run out of budget. I'd choose the Cambridge over the otherwise quite similar Marantz PM6004 because it has a bit more power, which you'll need for two pairs of speakers.

A

Anonymous

I heard a system in a cafe that was using the diminutive Wharfdale 9.1s and it sounded quite beguiling. Not too detailed, quite a warm bass and well suited to the environment, i.e. not really distracting.

A

Anonymous

No other than some cabling. I suspect you might need a lot of it so a 100m roll of two core electrical might be your best bet

Personally, with a big space to fill and two sets of speakers to run, I'd get a second hand AV amp (their depreciation is vertiginous) and a couple of pais of £100 speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s can still be had for that), which leaves you plenty spare for cable and brackets.

A quick hunt on eBay and I'd buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DSP-AX620-Hi-fi-Home-sound-Stereo-Integ...

I actually think it's a bit dear (£70 is nearer the mark) but it should work well for you.

If you want to buy new (as you may do), I'd get a Cambridge Audio 650a for £250 from Richer Sounds and the same speakers, though you then start to run out of budget. I'd choose the Cambridge over the otherwise quite similar Marantz PM6004 because it has a bit more power, which you'll need for two pairs of speakers.

Hi John, I liked Wharfdale 9.1 you suggested and they are quite a value for money from what I read on the internet. I liked Cambridge Audio 650a but as you said it will cross my budget limit. Is there any other amp you can suggest that will compliment 2 set of wharfdale speakers best without pushing my budget limits. Thanks you have been a great help.

T

the record spot

I'll throw in Onkyo's TX-8050 to the mix - can run two sets of speakers, has network capability, it'll deliver 100wpc and has a lovely composed sound, on the neutral side but your speaker choice will see you right there if that's not your bag. I've no complaints with it and it'll go loud without distorting in a hurry. If you add in the firmware upgrade from just before Christmas, it'll give you Spotify as well as internet radio, Napster and DLNA connectivity too. There's an onboard DAC which'll take an additional four digital inputs (two coax, two optical) and a front facing USB input which will take hard drives, iPods/iPhones and the like.

All this for £250-299 depending on where you buy and a very neat solution into the bargain.

A

Anonymous

Are Wharfdale diamond 9.1s good for wall mounting ? As I am planning to mount them 1 feet away from the back wall and 1.6 feet away from side wall and toeing at a 30 degree angle. Will that work ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts