Looking for a better TV (not the best though)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Paul. said:
Yep, thats the one.

I really love it, glad I didn't bother saving up for the ST! It doesn't go super black like the Panasonic's go, although black levels are still good. I found some calibration settings online (link below) which were spot on, made a huge difference to the stock movie preset. It has full 10 point calibration that you don't get on the ST. Motion is better than the Panasonic's in my opinion, it occasionally gets a smidge choppy on 24p slow pans (Cinema Smooth seems to sort it out, with none of the weird processing that seems to go on with the Panasonic when you witch the processing on). From reading online they seem to be a lot less flakey than the Panasonic's, nice and reliable, and much better at resisting IR. Finally, the Smart Hub is a tonne better on the Samsung, and the Dual Core processor is pretty snappy :) Redbull TV, College Humour and Crunchy Roll are highlights for me, Hollie is pretty excited about the Digital Theatre app. May even give Spotify a go since its there.

Things that were the biggest surprise to me, is day time performance. Buying a Plasma I was expecting it to be quite dim and reflective. Its contrasty in daytime with the curtains open so the black pro thingamibob filter is doing its job fine with reflections.

So far watched the latest Spiderman, Episode 4, 5 and 6 of Star Wars and the Dark Knight. All looked Grand. The Dark Knight especially, blacks and colours looked outstanding, plenty of shadow detail.

3D to be fair is pretty poor, I get uncomfortable quickly watching it so I wouldn't buy it on the basis of its 3D. Its the only thing I can really fault at this price.

http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-pn51e6500-picturesettings.html

Got pics in my system thread :)

I bought one of the Samsung PS51E6500's last night through Amazon, expected delivery is Friday or Saturday ... can't wait :bounce:

The settings that you posted Paul.... I just set the new tv to them and leave it set on them until around the 200 hour mark ?

Paul.

I used those settings, bumped the cell from 16 to 17, dropped the red green ballance from 51-49 back to 50-50, and switched cinema smooth on. I personally didn't bother adjusting for IR. it picked up some faint IR in the first 5 hours but it sorted itself out within 5 minutes of normal viewing. Not seem anything since.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Paul. said:
I used those settings, bumped the cell from 16 to 17, dropped the red green ballance from 51-49 back to 50-50, and switched cinema smooth on. I personally didn't bother adjusting for IR. it picked up some faint IR in the first 5 hours but it sorted itself out within 5 minutes of normal viewing. Not seem anything since.

Hey again Paul (not stalking you, promise ..lol)

My Sammy arrieved today which was amazingly quick :dance: I've set the settings and was wondering this; is it right that the contrast is set to 100, just that it seems high ?

I did the same settings above as you added as well but I don't have cinema smooth to turn it on though I do have 'movie' (as well as three others), is it the same thing ?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Paul. said:

Hey again Paul (not stalking you, promise ..lol)

My Sammy arrieved today which was amazingly quick :dance: I've set the settings and was wondering this; is it right that the contrast is set to 100, just that it seems high ?

I did the same settings above as you added as well but I don't have cinema smooth to turn it on though I do have 'movie' (as well as three others), is it the same thing ?

I don't know if or when Paul may be on.... does anyone have any idea about the question .... going by the setting... should the contrast indeed be set at 100 when 'running-in' the tv picture ?

Excuse my ignorance on this matter as I have no idea tbh and am a wee bit scared given that I have my new tv the Samsung PS51E6500 set with the settings a few posts above.

like this : http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-pn51e6500-picturesettings.html

Paul.

In picture settings menu there is a setting called film mode, auto 1 and auto 2 is greyed out with a 24p source, and cinema smooth is available. It smooths out judder on pans with a smidge of black level lost. I prefer it, you may not.

I did indeed have my contrast set to max and it looks fine, no IR problems to report. If you bought on line rather than having John Lewis returns policy you may want to be a bit less caviller! Dial the contrast back as far as you can tolerate for a few weeks if you worry, but it should be fine.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Paul. said:
Happy? How you finding it?

My goodness.............. Yeah What a lovely looking tv AND the picture is quite brilliant with these settings Paul.

I don't yet have anything 3D so that can wait.... but oh my, what a brill picture and the blacks are way better than I had on my Pana PX70.... so amazed tbh..... thx mate for pointing me in this direction... kudos :)

Even SD footy looks real nice, can';t wait to see the HD footy now :)

Paul, these settings as are.... there for the first 200 hours or so yes ? Then you change them to suit I mean ? Though, with these settings... brill... and the SD on a lot of channels that we watch... (thumbs-up)

My wife , she didn't know anything about my ordering it and it arrived waay early yesterday morning... man was she surprised...lol

She too loves it though, a brilliant tv.

Paul.

Sorry, missed this one :) Glad you are happy with it, its a shame its discontinued. The 51E550 is £749, no wifi, no awesome black filter thingimibob, no free sat, no dual core, so the 6500 is a bargain! With the amount of GT50 pain threads going on, I am wondering why there was so little chatter about this TV?

If you want to give 3D a go without buying disks, there is a free app in the app store called Explore 3D you can try out. I personally am not a fan of any 3D, passive or active, but good luck to you if you do!

Those settings are full fat, so dial it back if you are concerned about IR, but I have noticed no ill effect.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I downloaded that Explore 3D app you mentioned Paul and there was a superb piece with some fella doing magic.... WOW ! There were brilliant images coming out of my screen into the living-room..... most funny at times. :rofl:

I'm not daft about 3D as such but some things Did look really good I thought.

I love the picture on this tv and it IS good with SD content as well. Connection to the net is fast too.I'm going to try and find out what keyboards maybe work with it.

I'm most chuffed tbh :bounce: So a Big thx to you for suggesting it :clap:

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
This is some tv Paul... I watched Promethius in 3D last night... what a picture and the SD picture is so clear not to mention the HD picture... wow, what a tv yet tbh there was not much of a write-up about this one... wonder why ?

It even has it's web browser... superb I

erby

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I recently upgraded to the ps51e6500 from a ps51d550 and the difference in picture quality is incredible.

Even my wife commented on how much better it is and she normally just says nods and says "yes dear" when I talk to her about tv's, amps and speakers.

I got the disney WOW blu ray for christmas, can't wait to have a fiddle with the settings :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've read an excelent review of this tv, only problems it said were a mild banding in "movie" mode, and frame skipping in 3D mode. Have you guys seen any evidence of this at all?

I have just bought the GT50, but I do have one or two issues with it. Firstly, there is the vertical banding during football and other sports, it's faint, but if you look for it, it's there. There is also the worry of image retention, though I haven't seen any evidence of this, the review I saw of the 6500 says it is fantastic in this regard.

I'll be ringing John Lewis later to discuss the banding problem, I'm prepared to live with it until it's properly run in, and I can have the settings I want, but if it's still there then, then it'll have to go back and be replaced.

The reason I'm saying this here is that I think the 6500 could be a good alternative, should the replacement GT have the same problem. It seems strange that there aren't many reviews of the 6500 out there, but the one I saw (HDTV Test), is a fantastic review, and I trust those guys reviews more than any others.

If I eventually do get the 6500, I have to get over the biggest hurdle of all, getting a Korean tv in to the house past a Japanese wife. Might be one hurdle too far.
shifty.gif

Paul.

I haven't seen any banding in movie mode, but I think 3D performance does let the TV down a bit. I would put it on a par with the ST50 for 3D, but if 3D is important you may want to persevere with your GT50.

Aparently I had John Lewis's last 6500, they have deleted it now. You may struggle to find one!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I haven't noticed any banding bbb and having watched Promethius in 3D there was no skipping frames either ...fingers crossed I'd hope that this is always the case. John Lewis didn't have any so I just paid the extra and bought it through Amazon.

Looked an Amazon there and there was a link to PC World and costs £50.00 less than I paid.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ps51e6500-full-hd-51-plasma-3d-tv-12338366-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~priceRoom~TV%2c+DVD+%26+Audio~12338366&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=limaptxw&istBid=t

and Currys:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ps51e6500-full-hd-51-plasma-3d-tv-12338366-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~priceRoom~TV%2c+DVD+%26+Blu-ray~12338366&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=limaimmi&istBid=t

It looks now like it is getting more difficult to find this tv.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Watched a good few movies in 3D now and WOW!.... I recon that they look fantastic on this tv.

Green Hornet wasn't such a great movie but the 3D was real nice as was the 3D picture with The Avengers.

The Lion King also seems good in 3D.

As does Avatar., :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts