Long Overdue Upgrade

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I have an Arcam Alpha+ CD player, Arcam Alpha 3 amplifier and Linn Index speakers, all bought in the early 1990s.

Where do I start to finally (!!) upgrade?

I've been told that I should upgrade the speakers first. If this is correct advice, what would be a good match for my Arcam CD/Amp? I'm looking at a budget of around £500 as I feel that my equipment may not do justice to more expensive speakers. Is this fair comment? Are there any other compatibility issues (both technical and sonic) with my system being almost 20 years old?

Is there also an argument for replacing the whole system? If so, what combinations should I consider at c.£1,500?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I would definitely recommend replacing the whole system if you have 1500. I've found doing it bit by bit in the past, brings nothing but endless disappointment. I also used to own those Linn speakers. Contact some HIFI shops in your local area and see what systems they can put together and then go a nd listen and see how much of an improvement they are over your current set-up.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if you were to buy a pair of speakers first your problem would be that they would have to match what you have now and what you upgrade to. if you like what you have now try listening to the modern arcam kit with the modern speakers of your choice. hopefully you like something and this should bode well with your current amp and cd player. i would be tempted to listen to all the other brands also and buy new speakers to match future kit, i can see its tricky tho

A

Anonymous

would you consider second hand if so you could find a good arcam cd192 and arcam a85 for about £700 and then spend the rest £800 on a set of new speakers

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Cat amongst the pigeons time......

Thinking about it logically, an amp is an amp and speakers are speakers. Technology may have inproved things but I warrant there are old items out there that can match or beat new gear.

CD players on the other hand have changed a lot in the last 20 years so I would start there. (That is assuming you want to stick to CD's as a source).

A

Anonymous

DavieCee:
Cat amongst the pigeons time......

Thinking about it logically, an amp is an amp and speakers are speakers. Technology may have inproved things but I warrant there are old items out there that can match or beat new gear.

CD players on the other hand have changed a lot in the last 20 years so I would start there. (That is assuming you want to stick to CD's as a source).

I agree. There are lots of great players at around 500 GBP. Rega Apollo, Arcam CD17, Exposure 2010s2, etc. The improvement in sound quality from a new, high quality CD player is surprising. Whichever CD player is chosen gives you a very simply choice on the amp, as you can buy the matching amp from the same manufacturer. You don't have to go that route of course, but it makes things easier if that's what the OP wants.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts