london grammar

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Andrewjvt said:
DougK said:
I'll do a deal with you Andrew, I'll purchase London Grammar's last or current album if you purchase a CD from my list of female artists. One condition... I get to choose the artist and the album*bomb* *biggrin*

Tell you what. Im up for anything but am i allowed to first taste on youtube?

Please no gospel i beg you

Well as I've already sampled LG on Spotify I guess I can't ban you from a YT preview *biggrin* You have the same choice as I gave Infiniteloop for artists; hell I'll even give you a link to the Donna trailer for the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCbL6n2bdR0&index=2&list=RDWkBPq-p5JC4

For Lara you'll have to do your own search on YT, you can get a track list off Amazon. The album might be available on Spotify, if you use it.

D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:
Okay: Buy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-Kate-Rusby/dp/B0096FHS6E/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_...

Blimey, Infinite, I give you nice cheap single CD offerings and you revert with a double album *shok* That's just isn't cricket *biggrin* I should make you buy the Donna concert DVD too!

To both of you, consider it a done deal. I will be purchasing London Grammar's debut album and Kate Rusby's DOUBLE ALBUM tomorrow off Amazon. If you want to see the receipt, just ask *biggrin*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Robin Trower never gets a mention but was /is a fantastic guitarist.

Good shout, but he was not on our radar in 1971. Bridge of Sighs a couple of years later is one of my favourite alltime albums. I went to see him last year, and at 70+ he's still got it in spades.

Funnily enough I was reading about Mike Bloomfield a couple of weeks ago on The Music Aficionado blog site and I listened to some of his stuff on Spotify as a consequence. Right up my alley too.

Absolutely agree, I was there too .*good*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Electro said:
DougK said:
I'm not in awe... My exposure to music is from the decades where singers could actually sing and my taste in music is mostly black female american singers whose roots are in gospel. My music collection and interest starts around the mid 60's through to the early 90's. Purely my personal preference.

Fairy muff, there is no law that says you have to like London Grammar but you surely can't be saying that Hanna Reid can't sing ...

I think it'd be fair comment to say that Hanna Reid can't sing as well as - for example - Nina Simone.

But Nina Simone fantastic singer as she is has never made an emotional tear run down my cheek.

Hanna Reid does almost every time I listen to this track, 'If you wait ' .

This song touches my soul deeply, my whole body shakes with the deep emotions of pleasure and pain.

Anything that can do that is very special indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZOvfvS-ao

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:
I'll do a deal with you Andrew, I'll purchase London Grammar's last or current album if you purchase a CD from my list of female artists. One condition... I get to choose the artist and the album*bomb* *biggrin* 

If he won't, I will. - If I haven't got it already! *biggrin*

I admire a man who likes a challenge *biggrin*. I'll give you a choice:

1. Donna Summer, live recording: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/VH1-Presents-Donna-Summer-Live-More-Encore/B0000258VF/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487288431&sr=1-2&keywords=donna+summer+encore

or

2. Lara Fabian, studio recording: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lara-Fabian/dp/B00004XQMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487288916&sr=1-1&keywords=lara+fabian

Or get both and I'll purchase another CD and artist of your choosing *smile*

Ive sampled both and if i had to chose would be Lara Fabian over the donna summer.

My favourite band is korn so
I tell you what i forfiet and let me just send you my copy of london grammar. I really could not listen to that style. Maybe in an open concert while on holiday in italy perhaps as a one off.

Female singers i like are lana del rey, katie melua, florence, skin, norah jones, amy lee and lg. Some of katies and norahs are not that good, others very good. All my own opinion.

D

Deleted member 108165

Andrewjvt said:
Ive sampled both and if i had to chose would be Lara Fabian over the donna summer.

My favourite band is korn so I tell you what i forfiet and let me just send you my copy of london grammar. I really could not listen to that style. Maybe in an open concert while on holiday in italy perhaps as a one off.

Female singers i like are lana del rey, katie melua, florence, skin, norah jones, amy lee and lg. Some of katies and norahs are not that good, others very good. All my own opinion.

Bah, chicken, you're just not into pop Andrew *smile* You'd have trouble seeing Donna on stage now... sadly, she passed away in 2012.

I 've just ordered "If You Wait" from Amazon, when it arrives I'll live with it for a few weeks and give you my opinion. Kate Rusby purchase is pending...

It takes all sorts Andrew, one mans junk is another mans treasure. This has been good fun mate *good*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
But Nina Simone fantastic singer as she is has never made an emotional tear run down my cheek.

This song touches my soul deeply, my whole body shakes with the deep emotions of pleasure and pain.

Plain Gold Ring doesn't do it for you?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Andrewjvt said:

My favourite band is korn so I tell you what i forfiet and let me just send you my copy of london grammar. I really could not listen to that style. Maybe in an open concert while on holiday in italy perhaps as a one off.

Bah, chicken, you're just not into pop Andrew *smile* You'd have trouble seeing Donna on stage now... sadly, she passed away in 2012.

I 've just ordered "If You Wait" from Amazon, when it arrives I'll live with it for a few weeks and give you my opinion. Kate Rusby purchase is pending...

It takes all sorts Andrew, one mans junk is another mans treasure. This has been good fun mate *good*

One of my friends loves your style music and when she visits, she always says to me, to turn my **** off. Haha

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Electro said:

Plain Gold Ring doesn't do it for you?

Yes it does but in a different way.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:
Now that lady could sing.

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though. Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument. Given time though LG could progress and improve.

Dont forget - respect people's musical preferences - I'm all in favour of giving other styles/types of music a listen too. As most of us do on this site.

cheers tonky

I love Florence's voice and writing skills, but it's totally ruined by all her work being massively loud. I can listen to her in the car, but sadly it's all way too much on either of my systems.

Also love florence and know what you mean about the albums on good system.

Try forence unplugged lp

Easier on the system imo. Oh and is a great cd.

Purchased a moment ago.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's  - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though.  Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument.  Given time though LG could progress and improve.

Dont forget - respect people's musical preferences - I'm all in favour of giving other styles/types of music a listen too. As most of us do on this site. 

cheers tonky

I love Florence's voice and writing skills, but it's totally ruined by all her work being massively loud. I can listen to her in the car, but sadly it's all way too much on either of my systems.

Try forence unplugged lp

Purchased a moment ago.

You'll love it i promise.
I'd imagine how big it sounds on yours also. Very jealous right now.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though. Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument. Given time though LG could progress and improve.

cheers tonky

Try forence unplugged lp

Purchased a moment ago.

You'll love it i promise. I'd imagine how big it sounds on yours also. Very jealous right now.

You are more than welcome to come and have a listen. Ellisdj is coming on Tuesday!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's  - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though.  Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument.  Given time though LG could progress and improve.

cheers tonky

Try forence unplugged lp

Purchased a moment ago.

You'll love it i promise. I'd imagine how big it sounds on yours also. Very jealous right now.

You are more than welcome to come and have a listen. Ellisdj is coming on Tuesday!

Id love to one day. I may just take you up on that some day when im near london.

Id also like to hear ellis' sound during a movie.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:
Okay: Buy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-Kate-Rusby/dp/B0096FHS6E/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_...

Blimey, Infinite, I give you nice cheap single CD offerings and you revert with a double album *shok* That's just isn't cricket *biggrin* I should make you buy the Donna concert DVD too!

To both of you, consider it a done deal. I will be purchasing London Grammar's debut album and Kate Rusby's DOUBLE ALBUM tomorrow off Amazon. If you want to see the receipt, just ask *biggrin*

Just placed my order on Amazon.

Oh, and trust me, you'll thank me for the Kate Rusby.......

By the way, it's available on eBay for £7.99.

*drinks*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

cheers tonky

Try forence unplugged lp

Purchased a moment ago.

Same here!

D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:

*drinks*

Did you order both? I do hope so as the Donna live performance is excellent considering she was nearly 50 when it was recorded. Her studio albums are more polished but this CD demonstates to me she was a very accomplished live performer. I really do consider her a seriously underrated talent.

I'm eyeing up a copy of 20 on eBay at the moment and will pull the trigger this weekend. I'm really hoping that we are going to thank eachother for this as these artists are out of our usual musical genre comfort zones... I'm always up for having my musical horizon expanded.

*drinks*

D

Deleted member 108165

Andrewjvt said:
One of my friends loves your style music and when she visits, she always says to me, to turn my **** off. Haha

Bl**dy brilliant! *ROFL* Can't beat a bit of pop music to brighten ya day up. Just previewed a few snippits of Korn on Amazon... your friend is right! I can now see why my music taste wouldn't interest you at all! *biggrin*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:

*drinks*

Did you order both? I do hope so as the Donna live performance is excellent considering she was nearly 50 when it was recorded. Her studio albums are more polished but this CD demonstates to me she was a very accomplished live performer. I really do consider her a seriously underrated talent.

I'm eyeing up a copy of 20 on eBay at the moment and will pull the trigger this weekend. I'm really hoping that we are going to thank eachother for this as these artists are out of our usual musical genre comfort zones... I'm always up for having my musical horizon expanded.

*drinks*

Indeed I did order both. 'I feel love' is one of my all time top favourite songs. It helped to spawn an entirely new music genre.

Kate Rusby has a voice and a way with a song to reduce grown men to tears. I have a friend who cannot go to see her live as he ends up crying in public (I've seen her three times). I just think she has a way of linking us to the past that is very strong, authentic and beautiful. Her self-penned song 'The Lark' is sublimely beautiful. - There are many other gems on '20'.

D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:
Indeed I did order both. 'I feel love' is one of my all time top favourite songs. It helped to spawn an entirely new music genre.

Kate Rusby has a voice and a way with a song to reduce grown men to tears. I have a friend who cannot go to see her live as he ends up crying in public (I've seen her three times). I just think she has a way of linking us to the past that is very strong, authentic and beautiful. Her self-penned song 'The Lark' is sublimely beautiful. - There are many other gems on '20'.

Excellent! Ditto regarding "I Feel Love", a truly iconic track. I am at an age to have been around in clubs when this track originally broke, and it is still as captivating today as it was in '77, a game-changer. On the Live CD the arrangement does not quite capture the magic of the original studio performance.

I'm not a huge fan of live performances but this is where real singers shine through. There aren't many who can perform live as well as they do in a studio, where they can easily disguise vocal deficiencies. Hence, I guess, why so many of them lip-synch in live performances these days. And no I am not pointing at Kate Rusby here.

I'm really looking forward to Kate's album, so much so that I've just ordered it!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:

Excellent! Ditto regarding "I Feel Love", a truly iconic track. I am at an age to have been around in clubs when this track originally broke, and it is still as captivating today as it was in '77, a game-changer. On the Live CD the arrangement does not quite capture the magic of the original studio performance.

I'm not a huge fan of live performances but this is where real singers shine through. There aren't many who can perform live as well as they do in a studio, where they can easily disguise vocal deficiencies. Hence, I guess, why so many of them lip-synch in live performances these days. And no I am not pointing at Kate Rusby here.

I'm really looking forward to Kate's album, so much so that I've just ordered it!

Good man. It's very laid back and introspective. I really hope you enjoy it.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This is a great thread. I am a huge fan of LG and I can't wait for the second album.

Also took note of the Kate Rusby recommendation and wow what a wonderful voice. I will listen to a few of her albums later today on Spotify and then definitely buy one of them.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Talking about female singers who can bring you almost to tears and stop you in your tracks, I can still recall the first time I heard June Tabor's acappella version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda many years ago. It was stunning, beautiful, and shocking in equal measure. There are countless versions of this Eric Bogle song about, but nothing comes close to June Tabor's interpretation in my opinion. I play it without fail every Armistice Day. A good place to start is...

51u3eygKlkL._SX425_.jpg

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I must catch up on June Tabor - the anthology is a good place to start - thanks DIB

Kate Rusby - Underneath the Stars - released 2003. Kate Rusby sings some great songs - tremendous album

tonky

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Womaz said:
This is a great thread. I am a huge fan of LG and I can't wait for the second album.

Also took note of the Kate Rusby recommendation and wow what a wonderful voice. I will listen to a few of her albums later today on Spotify and then definitely buy one of them.

Kate Rusby is a little known national treasure IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts