london grammar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
For those that missed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/4dbe08c1-b40a-43b3-ab89-210000bd8ab2

How can anyone not be in awe of this wonderful music even allowing for differences in taste.

Talented young musicians making original fresh beautiful music what more could you ask for.

Cheers Electro - the photo in the background of the studio they are playing - did you catch the acoustic treatment everywhere :)

D

Deleted member 108165

No arguments here from me. No offence taken or given, just a bit of lively banter, all tongue in cheek as far as I'm concerened *biggrin* Music tastes differ, each to their own. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a very boring place indeed. Personally I like these threads as sometimes I discover new artists who appeal to me... sadly not on this occasion...

Good thread Andrew *good* Sure beats the hell out of all the inane cable threads.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Lets not get all apologetic
This is an open forum and anyone can say how they feel.
LG dont pay me commision so i dont get annoyed if they are dissed.

I also have found new artists on here so anyone care to share new undiscovered artists on here- very welcome by me.

As in getting older and my hifi getting better, im appreciating the more mellow stuff or stuff that compliments the electronics better.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
DougK said:
Electro said:
Fairy muff, there is no law that says you have to like London Grammar but you surely can't be saying that Hanna Reid can't sing .

I also like black female American singers along with many other types and styles of music.

Listen to this by Lizz wright it might tickle your fancy .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHM9QPkg3gQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpeaETF1qE

I am 59 years young now and in my opinion the quality of young bands and the variety of different styles is very encouraging for the future of good music, as long as you stay away from the top of the charts.

Ditto regarding age *biggrin* What I'm saying is that I find Hanna mediocre, nothing special.

Thanks for the Lizz Wright links but I prefer my music a little more uptempo, something along the lines of: Aretha Franklin, Randy Crawford, Gladys Knight, Roberta Flack, Donna Summer and some Whitney Houston, other artists would be the ABBA girls, Alison Moyet, Annie Lennox, Lara Fabian, Karen Carpenter, Kate Bush, Blondie, early Celine Dion... yeah, I know, there's no accounting for taste...*smile*

If i take out blondie, annie lennox and kate bush then id rate that as the worst list of artists to listen. Id rather not have a sound system.

Juvenile - please grow up

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
tonky said:
Andrewjvt said:
DougK said:
Electro said:
Fairy muff, there is no law that says you have to like London Grammar but you surely can't be saying that Hanna Reid can't sing .

I also like black female American singers along with many other types and styles of music.

I am 59 years young now and in my opinion the quality of young bands and the variety of different styles is very encouraging for the future of good music, as long as you stay away from the top of the charts.

Ditto regarding age *biggrin* What I'm saying is that I find Hanna mediocre, nothing special.

Thanks for the Lizz Wright links but I prefer my music a little more uptempo, something along the lines of: Aretha Franklin, Randy Crawford, Gladys Knight, Roberta Flack, Donna Summer and some Whitney Houston, other artists would be the ABBA girls, Alison Moyet, Annie Lennox, Lara Fabian, Karen Carpenter, Kate Bush, Blondie, early Celine Dion... yeah, I know, there's no accounting for taste...*smile*   

If i take out blondie, annie lennox and kate bush then id rate that as the worst list of artists to listen. Id rather not have a sound system.

Are you such a stalker?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
tonky said:
Andrewjvt said:
DougK said:
Electro said:

Ditto regarding age *biggrin* What I'm saying is that I find Hanna mediocre, nothing special.

Are you such a stalker?

That's rich coming from the most obviously thin skinned poster/replier on the site. The Donald must take lessons from you.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
tonky said:
Andrewjvt said:
tonky said:
Andrewjvt said:
DougK said:
Electro said:

Ditto regarding age *biggrin* What I'm saying is that I find Hanna mediocre, nothing special.

Are you such a stalker?

That's rich coming from the most obviously thin skinned poster/replier on the site. The Donald must take lessons from you.

Wow thanks for the compliment.
Tell me, how does the pigeon seed taste?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Chaps, chaps, it's only a bit of music at the end of the day. Chill out and listen to what you like.

Reminds me of my days at school when the debate raged about whether Clapton, Page, or Hendrix was the best
regular_smile.gif

(pointless really as it was none of the above, and was clearly Rory Gallagher)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Chaps, chaps, it's only a bit of music at the end of the day. Chill out and listen to what you like.

Reminds me of my days at school when the debate raged about whether Clapton, Page, or Hendrix was the best .

Mike Bloomfield.

The most lyrical player of his time.

Try "Blues on a Westside", from Nick Gravenites "My Labors". Its on Spotify...*good*

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Robin Trower never gets a mention but was /is a fantastic guitarist.

Good shout, but he was not on our radar in 1971. Bridge of Sighs a couple of years later is one of my favourite alltime albums. I went to see him last year, and at 70+ he's still got it in spades.

Funnily enough I was reading about Mike Bloomfield a couple of weeks ago on The Music Aficionado blog site and I listened to some of his stuff on Spotify as a consequence. Right up my alley too.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
DougK said:
I'm not in awe... My exposure to music is from the decades where singers could actually sing and my taste in music is mostly black female american singers whose roots are in gospel. My music collection and interest starts around the mid 60's through to the early 90's. Purely my personal preference.

Fairy muff, there is no law that says you have to like London Grammar but you surely can't be saying that Hanna Reid can't sing ...

I think it'd be fair comment to say that Hanna Reid can't sing as well as - for example - Nina Simone.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Electro said:
DougK said:
I'm not in awe... My exposure to music is from the decades where singers could actually sing and my taste in music is mostly black female american singers whose roots are in gospel. My music collection and interest starts around the mid 60's through to the early 90's. Purely my personal preference.

Fairy muff, there is no law that says you have to like London Grammar but you surely can't be saying that Hanna Reid can't sing ...

I think it'd be fair comment to say that Hanna Reid can't sing as well as - for example - Nina Simone.

Depends on where you're coming from. - Different genres require different voices. Could Maria Callas do Jazz, Ella Fitzgerald do Opera or Nina Simone sing Folk? - (actually she probably could).....

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Now that lady could sing.

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though. Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument. Given time though LG could progress and improve.

Dont forget - respect people's musical preferences - I'm all in favour of giving other styles/types of music a listen too. As most of us do on this site.

cheers tonky

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
DIB said:

Reminds me of my days at school when the debate raged about whether Clapton, Page, or Hendrix was the best .

Mike Bloomfield.

The most lyrical player of his time.

Try "Blues on a Westside", from Nick Gravenites "My Labors". Its on Spotify...*good*

Was going to dedicate a thread just to call you up for advise and here you are.

Please go on my preamp thread and give me some advise please. Im at work now but have many questions tech related as to different pre amps and source etc.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though. Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument. Given time though LG could progress and improve.

Dont forget - respect people's musical preferences - I'm all in favour of giving other styles/types of music a listen too. As most of us do on this site.

cheers tonky

I love Florence's voice and writing skills, but it's totally ruined by all her work being massively loud. I can listen to her in the car, but sadly it's all way too much on either of my systems.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'll do a deal with you Andrew, I'll purchase London Grammar's last or current album if you purchase a CD from my list of female artists. One condition... I get to choose the artist and the album*bomb* *biggrin*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
I'll do a deal with you Andrew, I'll purchase London Grammar's last or current album if you purchase a CD from my list of female artists. One condition... I get to choose the artist and the album*bomb* *biggrin*

If he won't, I will. - If I haven't got it already! *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

I listened to some London Grammar on spotify - Hannah has a voice similar to Florence's  - but a little too ethereal and contrived for me though.  Florence and the machine have had more time to get their sound - it has a great edge to it. Florence has a voice and a half - like another musical instrument.  Given time though LG could progress and improve.

cheers tonky

I love Florence's voice and writing skills, but it's totally ruined by all her work being massively loud. I can listen to her in the car, but sadly it's all way too much on either of my systems.

Also love florence and know what you mean about the albums on good system.

Try forence unplugged lp

Easier on the system imo.
Oh and is a great cd.

D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:

I admire a man who likes a challenge *biggrin*. I'll give you a choice:

1. Donna Summer, live recording: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/VH1-Presents-Donna-Summer-Live-More-Encore/B0000258VF/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487288431&sr=1-2&keywords=donna+summer+encore

or

2. Lara Fabian, studio recording: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lara-Fabian/dp/B00004XQMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487288916&sr=1-1&keywords=lara+fabian

Or get both and I'll purchase another CD and artist of your choosing *smile*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
I'll do a deal with you Andrew, I'll purchase London Grammar's last or current album if you purchase a CD from my list of female artists. One condition... I get to choose the artist and the album*bomb* *biggrin* 

Tell you what. Im up for anything but am i allowed to first taste on youtube?

Please no gospel i beg you

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:

I admire a man who likes a challenge *biggrin*. I'll give you a choice:

1. Donna Summer, live recording: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/VH1-Presents-Donna-Summer-Live-More-Encore/B0000258VF/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487288431&sr=1-2&keywords=donna+summer+encore

or

2. Lara Fabian, studio recording: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lara-Fabian/dp/B00004XQMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487288916&sr=1-1&keywords=lara+fabian

Or get both and I'll purchase another CD and artist of your choosing *smile*

Okay: Buy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-Kate-Rusby/dp/B0096FHS6E/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487289965&sr=8-1&keywords=kate+rusby+20

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:

cheers tonky

Also love florence and know what you mean about the albums on good system.

Try forence unplugged lp

Easier on the system imo. Oh and is a great cd.

good recommendation. Ive yet to listen to a florence album as found her work seemed to stagnate a bit after the debut album, and become too poppy and as mentioned, contrived (although i was tempted by lungs and im sure i will get round to hearing this one). She has a great voice, and I can imagine an unplugged album sounding great. London grammars debut is most certainly in my top ten of all time albums. Thsoe songs seemed to be so melodic and plucked from the ether. The recent two singles show none of this unfortunately (for me). The girl can sing though, and i would say has a more soulful voice than florence. I cannot imagine anyone else singing that album half as well as her, sure florence could hit some notes, but doesnt have the lower tones of the LG girl. She co-writes the music and so some of the melodies will be coming from her, from her perceptions of life, and using her tool to portray these feelings. For me the debut album is as strong as either of Oasis first two albums, anything by the beatles, etc etc. It hits a big raw vein in the melody of the universe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts