London Grammar Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

My favourite group is definitely a guy called Craig Le filth. Legend.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
That’s called vibrato she is singing re that Mozart piece, it’s the same note but her tone is going up and down rather than holding a legato long single note tone. Loads of singers do that who I think are fab eg Amy winehouse Grhs. Lots of traditional female vocalists. Put your fingers up to your voice box and wiggle it and sing, and you get the same vibrato sound.

But when the London grammar lady sings ‘for me’ ‘ee’ ‘ee’ eeeyyaaa’ is many different notes at different pitches or octaves .She isn’t singing vibrato, but legato with the twilling on the lots of the ends of words.

On this forum, your argument is the equivalent of arguing about cables. Nobody really cares. Stop concentrating on the technical stuff and just enjoy the music. If it's not technically perfect, so what.

I am literally just back from their gig at a packed Manchester Apollo and there were around 2000 people there who didn't give a monkeys about falsetto, vibrato or whatever - they just had a great night listening to a fabulously talented young lady sing her heart out.

Glad you enjoyed it too. She has one of the best voices in contemporary music. The fact that she’s as good live as she sounds on LG’s recordings is a testament to her talent.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Can’t believe anyone thinks it’s talent. I’d doubt she even writes the songs. It’s commercial bollocks and katching for all those who go along. No originality too.

D

Deleted member 160668

Yawn.

If you don’t like it cool. Other people do... Everyone likes different things...

I for one am very much looking forward to next fridays gig.

Anyway, to get the thread back on track...

What was the set list?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Can’t believe anyone thinks it’s talent. I’d doubt she even writes the songs. It’s commercial bollocks and katching for all those who go along. No originality too.  

Until we all agree with you.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
tonky said:
Quest wrote that he didn't know what the fuss was about re London Grammar.

Earlier this year I felt the same way - I listened to them on Spotify and they didn't grab me - technically v good - but the music - bland - no thanks.

I listened to them a few weeks later on - background Sonos music while gardening. Over a period of time I had to stop the gardening because I just had to concentrate on the now excellent music. Long story short - bought both albums - amazing! - and now amongst my very favourite bands. - The voice - the layers of music - very measured - very expressive - every note counts to the overall experience - ethereal - classical - emotional - and so much more!

It took me a while to get into them - well worth the effort!

Infinite Loop - not planning to go Manchester Apollo for a while - Not heard of Angus and Julia Stone but will certainly hear them on Spotify asap.

I thought the support band, Lo Moon, had a similar sound to Talk Talk

cheers tonky

Angus and Julia Stone’s best album is ‘down the way’. Best songs are ‘Yellow Brick Road’ and ‘Draw your swords’.

Enjoy!

Spot on about Angus and Julia... don't like the last two albums, self titled and Snow, gone too commercial for my taste.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
amormusic said:
What was the set list?

Here you go. The version of Rooting for you last night was a spine-tingler as she sang the first verse unaccompanied. If you get the same show as we did you are in for a treat. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/london-grammar/2017/o2-apollo-manchester-manchester-england-53e33f65.html

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There is too much analysis but too little emotion in this thread .

Music should make you feel something insde and London Grammer and Hanna Reid make music to touch the soul.

If you start picking apart the individual notes and studying the vocal technique you will totally miss the purpose of this wonderful music.

If this does not bring a lump to your throat or maybe a tear to your eye then I feel for you.

https://vimeo.com/93809963

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:

Music should make you feel something insde and London Grammer and Hanna Reid make music to touch the soul.

If you start picking apart the individual notes and studying the vocal technique you will totally miss the purpose of this wonderful music.

If this does not bring a lump to your throat or maybe a tear to your eye then I feel for you.

thumbs_up.png

( unfortunately you're wrong though according to you know who
regular_smile.png
)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:

+1.

Whoever sees them live on this tour is in for a real treat. Hopefully they have a long career ahead of them and Hannah will do some solo albums too.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:

the thing is for me with the greatest respect to others who like it, it doesn’t have great songs and melody that’s exquisite. You need that to touch the soul for this type of music. Her voice doesn’t bring a lump in my throat. I can understand it might bring a lump somewhere else to twenty somethings of her age. People might go red at this, which means not enough blood to go to that lumpy area needed. Lol.

Samd

Electro said:

the thing is for me with the greatest respect to others who like it, it doesn’t have great songs and melody that’s exquisite. You need that to touch the soul for this type of music. Her voice doesn’t bring a lump in my throat. I can understand it might bring a lump somewhere else to twenty somethings of her age. People might go red at this, which means not enough blood to go to that lumpy area needed. Lol.

The trouble is that your previous posts (and the rest of this one) show clearly that you do not mean that.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I picked up my mobile the other day whilst I was driving to select the new London Grammar album from my mobile tidal app. Now I’m not excusing this for one moment at all, and of course driving whilst using a mobile device is a horrendous thing to do for road safety. But we’ve all done things we regret when we are drunk.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I picked up my mobile the other day whilst I was driving to select the new London Grammar album from my mobile tidal app. Now I’m not excusing this for one moment at all, and of course driving whilst using a mobile device is a horrendous thing to do for road safety. But we’ve all done things we regret when we are drunk. 

Your just attention seeking now.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I picked up my mobile the other day whilst I was driving to select the new London Grammar album from my mobile tidal app. Now I’m not excusing this for one moment at all, and of course driving whilst using a mobile device is a horrendous thing to do for road safety. But we’ve all done things we regret when we are drunk.

D

Deleted member 108165

Was involved in a bit of mutual banter on a previous thread involving London Grammer which saw me purchasing their first album as a challenge..... Sorry guys but I still can't get into them *scratch_one-s_head*

Think it's great that all have such diverse music tastes as there have been plenty of other artists I've been introduced to on here that I've come to appreciate over the years... but I'm still waiting for the penny to drop regarding LG *biggrin*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

davedotco said:
Andrewjvt said:

There is a Freudian slip with this post with the topic of the thread. Lol.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Andrewjvt said:

There is a Freudian slip with this post with the topic of the thread. Lol.

What ‘Freudian slip’?

- Have I missed something?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:

The fact that she is a good looking girl is not lost on me and I am a long way past twenty something, but to be honest she could look like the back end of a bus and I would still appreciate what she does.

When I first heard the track ' If you wait' by the end of the song I had tears streaming down my face, it is beyond beautiful in song and lyrics .

It came directly from Hanna's heart and soul direcly to mine and it touched me deeply.

Music that can do that is very special indeed imo .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZOvfvS-ao

https://open.spotify.com/track/0vUUVw1xb8gV13rRpgOgON

To treasure gold is fun Brother, drop your bag at once From the air to the people

A mass to take you on From the clock to the past A future that I own And to find just one other Seems to be the goal of everyone

From the search to the hurt I believed I could take you on We would drink, we would dance And you would watch me whenever you want

And can you give me, everything Everything, everything Cos I can't give you anything

And if you wait, if you wait I will trust in time that we will meet again If you wait If letters spell out words,son

You chose to put them in order, didn't you From the meaning, the moment you tried to take me on From the air to the room A bed that I own And can you give me everything, Everything, everything Cos I can't give you anything And if you wait, if you wait I will trust in time that we will meet again If you wait.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Electro said:

the thing is for me with the greatest respect to others who like it, it doesn’t have great songs and melody that’s exquisite. You need that to touch the soul for this type of music.  Her voice doesn’t bring a lump in my throat. I can understand it might bring a lump somewhere else to twenty somethings of her age. People might go red at this, which means not enough blood to go to that lumpy area needed. Lol. 

The fact that she is a good looking girl is not lost on me and I am a long way past twenty something, but to be honest she could look like the back end of a bus and I would still appreciate what she does.

When I first heard the track  ' If you wait'  by the end of the song I had tears streaming down my face, it is beyond beautiful in song and  lyrics .

It came directly from Hanna's heart and soul direcly to mine and it touched me deeply.

Music that can do that is very special indeed imo .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZOvfvS-ao

https://open.spotify.com/track/0vUUVw1xb8gV13rRpgOgON

To treasure gold is fun Brother, drop your bag at once From the air to the people

A mass to take you on From the clock to the past A future that I own And to find just one other Seems to be the goal of everyone

From the search to the hurt I believed I could take you on We would drink, we would dance And you would watch me whenever you want

And can you give me, everything Everything, everything Cos I can't give you anything

And if you wait, if you wait I will trust in time that we will meet again If you wait If letters spell out words,son

You chose to put them in order, didn't you From the meaning, the moment you tried to take me on From the air to the room A bed that I own And can you give me everything, Everything, everything Cos I can't give you anything And if you wait, if you wait I will trust in time that we will meet again If you wait.

Now for some xfactor words
Little mix

Hey, how ya doin'? Sorry you can't get through
Why don't you leave your name and your number?
And we'll get back to you
Hey, how ya doin'? Sorry you can't get through
Why don't you leave your name and your number?
And we'll get back to you

Ain't got no time for what you think can be described as love
I've cut your hold on me, you're missin' me, I've had enough
It's been so long since you have treated me like I deserve

So long, baby, I'm gone
You can leave a message for me after the tone

You called, I missed it
You called, I missed it
You called, and I missed it
Never get back, gettin' tired of listenin'

D

Deleted member 160668

saw them last night. Wow! Utterly captivating! A whole audience, silent, mesmerised by her vocal talent...

That really was something special. The hairs on my neck stood up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts