News Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I think it was one of my 80´s favorite band, i bought all their albums( 3 , only) and then some of his solo lp´s ,maybe 4 ,the last two weren´t that great, but has Loyd Cole said "if i had the success i have in Portugal , in other european countries and in America i would be rich" i can´t say how many times i saw him playing live.

I remenber one night in the 90´s, that in several points of Portugal there is the students week, i went at 21.30 to see Cocteau Twins, they had a new album that i had never heard but having some of my favorite songs being from this 4AD band and other participations like in This Mortal Coil albums ,a compilation with songs from several artists from this independent label playing together, that Started with a maxi-single with song to a siren with Cocteau Twins vocalist.

It was a concert at the Coliseu in Lisbon, Portugal from the tour of a new album , their guitar player had a very smooth but filled with effects guitar sound as the vocalist ,Elisabeth Fraser was known for her majestic voice as a example ,some might not know to whom i´m referring but, she put the vocals on Tim Buckley´s "song to a siren" heard a lot on a perfum tv comercial and also in the big hit from Massive Attack with the tempo of a real heart beat" Teardrop",

when the concert finished at 23.30(week day), i drove 10 km inside Lisbon and by the river ,a concert of maybe my favorite band of the 80´s ,New Model Army, than drove to the north and in Coimbra when parking the car next to the garden by the river i saw from far Loyd Cole playing a acoustic concert at 3.30 in the morning , all of this in the same night, i had still the strenght of a young man.

who doesn´t know perfect skin , forest fire, brand new friend, Lost weekend, my bag, jennifer she said, amongst other great songs, this were only their biggest hits, singles edited

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I think it was one of my 80´s favorite band, i bought all their albums( 3 , only) and then some of his solo lp´s ,maybe 4 ,the last two weren´t that great, but has Loyd Cole said "if i had the success i have in Portugal , in other european countries and in America i would be rich" i can´t say how many times i saw him playing live.

I remenber one night in the 90´s, that in several points of Portugal there is the students week, i went at 21.30 to see Cocteau Twins, they had a new album that i had never heard but having some of my favorite songs being from this 4AD band and other participations like in This Mortal Coil albums ,a compilation with songs from several artists from this independent label playing together, that Started with a maxi-single with song to a siren with Cocteau Twins vocalist.

It was a concert at the Coliseu in Lisbon, Portugal from the tour of a new album , their guitar player had a very smooth but filled with effects guitar sound as the vocalist ,Elisabeth Fraser was known for her majestic voice as a example ,some might not know to whom i´m referring but, she put the vocals on Tim Buckley´s "song to a siren" heard a lot on a perfum tv comercial and also in the big hit from Massive Attack with the tempo of a real heart beat" Teardrop",

when the concert finished at 23.30(week day), i drove 10 km inside Lisbon and by the river ,a concert of maybe my favorite band of the 80´s ,New Model Army, than drove to the north and in Coimbra when parking the car next to the garden by the river i saw from far Loyd Cole playing a acoustic concert at 3.30 in the morning , all of this in the same night, i had still the strenght of a young man.

who doesn´t know perfect skin , forest fire, brand new friend, Lost weekend, my bag, jennifer she said, amongst other great songs, this were only their biggest hits, singles edited
Love 4AD stuff including Cocteau Twins and Elizabeth Fraser and Lisa Gerrard's voices.
Currently listening to Lloyd Cole's 'Cleaning out the Ashtrays' ... a lot of great tracks.

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Not my bag. Had one of their singles, only been played a few times.

Enjoy the concert.
it´s funny because i prefered the maxi-single B side song that the rythm had distortion, not my bag also , i think it was their worst album and last but jennifer she said was a great hit with a kind of peculiar videoclip, allthough the rythm is well thought, i really liked the second version of the maxi-single. i normally avoid to see the videos from the bands i like, one might not like it and each has the right to dress in his way of doin` it. Except the Proclaimers that their style helped a lot to understand the songs, i have no shame in saying that i even recorded it to a cassette ,that i never heard but i used to enjoy the two videos on MTV ,when MTV was about music.

Last edited:
it´s funny because i prefered the maxi-single B side song that the rythm had distortion, not my bag also , i think it was their worst album and last but jennifer she said was a great hit with a kind of peculiar videoclip, allthough the rythm is well thought, i really liked the second version of the maxi-single. i normally avoid to see the videos from the bands i like, one might not like it and each has the right to dress in his way of doin` it. Except the Proclaimers that their style helped a lot to understand the songs, i have no shame in saying that i even recorded it to a cassette ,that i never heard but i used to enjoy the two videos on MTV ,when MTV was about music.
Not heard any of their albums either. They were IMHO the archetypal 80s dross bands, the decade I dislike the most for new music. Ironically, though, it was the decade I purchased most of my albums.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Not heard any of their albums either. They were IMHO the archetypal 80s dross bands, the decade I dislike the most for new music. Ironically, though, it was the decade I purchased most of my albums.
also the same with me ,but in what is called alternative music when it was really a alternative, it were released hundreds of good Lp´s, but some already known artists when recording a new lp in the 80´s it sound like stains in their career, many artists ,some with good songs but sounding with super rich high´s ,like the 80´s were the high´s decade, now that i think better about it ,not only sound but people ,even most of the teens were high, i remenber saying to a younger kid , "don´t touch heroin is adictive as hell" he´s reply , "i´m not retarted ,i only smoke so by smoking it it will never be adicted to it",i had to laugh i was at the time also adicted to heroin and cooked cocaine(some called me the chef ,as all said i was the better cook) and drugs were better and cheaper, i only stoped consuming but this at a very low level when i made 50 and married my 5th wife" my last better half as my excess living will put me out very soon

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS