Listening to my system is not pleasant:)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I want to share with you dissappointment with my system. I have Cambridge Audio 840A V2 + 840C and dali ikons 6's with it. QED qunex 2 as interconnecting cables. Sound is not pleasant at all. It is kind of bright and I get tired afetr 20minutes of listning. I have to say that I had small yamaha system for 250 pounds before and enjoyed it more. Anyone experienced such a dissapointment with much more expensive system? If I connect it via balanced XLR cable would it make any difference? I don't really know how to describe it as the sound is ok is detailed and clear but this is lacking that something which makes listening to music pleasant:) That is what I wanted to share:) Maybe someone has similar experience.....

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Cambridge Audio stuff is way bright and the Qunex is too. I'd have a think about changing your cables to something using copper instead of silver.

A

Anonymous

It is really bad... How about my speakers are they ok? Can you think of any inexpensive XLR cable for me? Would it make significant difference?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Maciek:It is really bad... How about my speakers are they ok? Can you think of any inexpensive XLR cable for me? Would it make significant difference?

Maybe you should have listened to it before you bought it? As for CA being "way bright", I disagree. I have supposedly bright speakers and the original CA 840A and my sound is not bright.

A

Anonymous

I think it's synergy problem between the CA kit and Dali Icon 6 speakers. The Dalis are very good but can be bright if matched with anything that side of neutral. You could indeed demo some cables from a dealer, starting with Chord, but you might find that different speakers are the only way to really solve this one.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Have you got a solid (wood/lino/laminate) floor? If so, get a deep-pile rug to go on it. Sounds daft but does make a difference.

Also, go for some thick copper speaker cable like the Van Damme 4mm or 6mm. Should tame the treble a bit when compared to your QED.

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/listings_Speaker-Cable_Floor-Standing-Speaker-Cable_All.html

TBH, I don't think going to Balanced (XLR) will make the change you are looking for. It normally has the benefits of reducing the noise floor and tightening up the sound somewhat, but it isn't noted for taming treble...

A

Anonymous

Actually yes, I could listen to it before purchase but I had dali's already, as they are part of my home cinema and then I heard great reviews about CA 840 system so got it and didn't think it may not work properly together. Yes, I have wooden floor. Could rug really help?:) I will try. I want to try balanced cables anyway. Is there any balanced cable worth looking at for let say 50 pounds? I don't want to spend silly money on cables anymore. What do you think of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Krystal-Kables-Galaxy-silver-XLR-i-cs-0-6m-pair_W0QQitemZ250506021583QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3a53528acf&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A

Anonymous

So the best balancned cable for me would be copper one? But the problem is that I can't find any. Thet are all silver. Does anyone know good copper XLR and no too expensive? around 40-50 pounds? I have seen here that people recommend Van Damme balanced but can it be any upgrade for my QED qunex 2 Rca? Van Damme cost 15 pounds and as far as I know it is silver not copper. Is it worth to swap RCA for inexpensive XLR?

A

Anonymous

think you might be better off changing the amp or speakers if thats possible

the new yamaha series amps might be more suited to the dalis

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Most cables can be fitted with XLR connections (for unbalanced use) but you need to be careful that - for fully balanced use - the correct type of cable is used.

Some explanation from Chord here.

They suggest that the 'entry level' cable (from their own range) suitable for fully balanced XLR use is Chameleon Silver Plus.

Whoever you buy XLR interconnects from, ensure they are designed to be for balanced use. (Not all of them are even if they claim it.)

I concur that a pure copper speaker cable should be tried.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Although I'm not familiar with the CA products, it does sound like a room issue. laminated wooden floors are not a hi-fi's friend, and should be avoided if possible.

When you are sitting down listening to your music, the floor between you and the speaker is reflecting high frequencies, as is the side walls. A rug between you and the speaker, and maybe something like a bookshelf or something at the sides will help break up those reflections, which should improve the sound you're getting. Cables may help slightly, but I don't think that's the main issue to be concentrating on at the moment.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Maciek:
The only thing is that my budget is half of that price:)

I am making suggestions that are either....

(a) Made by the manufacturer themself

(b) In proportion with the cost and performance of your amp and CD

(c) compatible for fully balanced use.

Buying into the CA 840 range (quite expensive gear to many) carries the assumption that you will have budgeted for appropriate and compatible cables that will make the most of the performance of the gear and exploit the benefits of balanced XLR connection properly.

£99 (for the Cambridge Audio XLR balanced cable) is not unreasonable for the system you have.

I guess you will have to pick up something from ebay and take your chances on whether it really is a balanced XLR cable or not.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I didn't like the Dali's, at least not with my amp, to much emphasis on the highs.

Try Dynaudio, Spendor, maybe Wharfedale and try to find a dealer for the french AparturA speakers.

I didn't knew the AparturA brand some time ago but when i listened to them at my mate's house i was pleasently surprised.

There's no hint of hard or bright sound, they are very easy on the ears and they look very good in black gloss, they also have ribbon tweeters.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/apertura/FR/acoustique.html

But i wouldn't partner them with to soft sounding kit, i asume Cambridge gear should be okay.

I'm not sure in what price category they are.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Maciek:
The only thing is that my budget is half of that price:)

I am making suggestions that are either....

(a) Made by the manufacturer themself

(b) In proportion with the cost and performance of your amp and CD

(c) compatible for fully balanced use.

Buying into the CA 840 range (quite expensive gear to many) carries the assumption that you will have budgeted for appropriate and compatible cables that will make the most of the performance of the gear and exploit the benefits of balanced XLR connection properly.

£99 (for the Cambridge Audio XLR balanced cable) is not unreasonable for the system you have.

I guess you will have to pick up something from ebay and take your chances on whether it really is a balanced XLR cable or not.

I agree with Chebby here. I've gone over board with my cables (although I got them for a steal on ebay) but the 840s are very good components and deserve good cables. I think that you should furnish your room differently and then look at cables.

T

the record spot

I use the Qunex cable (the 3 in my case) between my DVD player and amp. On the CA kit, I'd up the ante somewhat. You need to be looking at around the 10% mark in cabling and the £25 QED won't cut it likely enough.

Try and seek out some Audioquest cable - I use their Copperhead interconnect (£65) and it's rather good. It goes on to the CD player and amp, so £650 CDP ain't too far away from the £800 CA. Check out Ebay and see what's available, likewise check some independent dealers and see what they are offering cable-wise at a discount.

How your room is furnished is a good point - I'm a big believer in getting the acoustics right. If your system, as you say, is bright it's essential to have chairs and cabinets nearby. This absorbs any nasty grating treble and boom.

Probably as important is carpets. If you have hard flooring, invest in a rug.....

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
try changing the source.coonect an mp3 player or tuner or something...if no difrerence occurs, then it is the speakers.the 840a is very civilised

A

Anonymous

Some good advice on here. This is what I'd try in order -

1. Thick rug and curtains and other soft furnishing ideas that you've previously baulked at! (I'm talking scatter cushions the whole 9 yards!)

2. Copper speaker cables and matching IC's (I'm not of the opinion that XLR's specifically will solve anything, especially if not truly balanced).

3. Speaker positioning - play about with distance to rear wall/ corners as well as toe in etc'. Some-one else I knew had similar issues with Dali and solved it with some patience in this area - ymmv etc')

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
As said, i heard the Dali's, to much emphasis on the highs so they should only match with the right kit i believe.

I don't believe it's the best thing to do trying to correct it with cables, i don't say it wouldn't help but cables should be as neutral as possible in my opinioon, the components/speakers should match.

Acoustics play a big part, a thick carpet on the floor from the speakers to your listening place should help. Your speakers should be at least 70cm from sidewalls (if your room is big enough for this), more is better, if not, a curtain or soft material like a painting, wall carpet at the sidewall positioned between your speakers and the listening place should help a lot. Also, if your room is not very long, the same can be applied to the back and/or front wall to counter a reflection ping-pong effect, it's like a tennis match of sound.

Listening to the speakers with grills on might help a bit to.

If your kit is brand new it could sound a bit harsch to.

An other thing is your mains power, i'm not a very big fan of filters but sometimes it may be nessesary.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Don't panic!

Get some Van Damme 6mm speaker cable from here:

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/V565060.html?id=IyXyD68e

it's only five quid a metre. Give it a good 50 hours to burn in and it'll tame that treble and bring back some of the bass 'oomph' that you probably enjoyed from your previous system.

Also, the tip made by another poster about soft furnishings, especially a big ol' rug is spot on. I have laminate floors and without my rug the treble is ear piercing.

I would say the rug and speaker cable are equally important. Do both and you're onto a winner!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts