listening session: PMC Twenty 23

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Today I went to listen to a pair of PMC 23. They were (amongst a few others) on my list as I think 'it's time' to get new speakers.

I needed to take a 2 hr drive, and for various reasons could not bring my own amp, so this was a risk.

The dealer had the speakers connected to a brand new Densen set (not a very usual combi I would say), so I started with that. Very detailed, very neutral. I immediately recognized that these speakers are 'better' than my current ones, but I would not call them 'enthousiastic'.

After that we switched to Naim. This was my very first encounter with Naim equipment. The speakers were hooked up to a SuperNait 2.

And oh boy.... Immediately the change was there, and this time the speaker 'came to live'. I spent 4 hrs at the dealer, going through my catalog and enjoying myself big time.

Every time I opened my eyes I was amazed by this relatively small speaker: what a sound!

I do realize that a SuperNaim is somewhat of a different beast than my Brio R, but the dealer already proposed to get the PMC's installed at home to have another listen.

To sum it up: I'm in love with this speaker. Rather neutral, airy and a well defined bass. I think I'm gonna get me a pair :D

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
spockfish said:
Today I went to listen to a pair of PMC 23. They were (amongst a few others) on my list as I think 'it's time' to get new speakers.

I needed to take a 2 hr drive, and for various reasons could not bring my own amp, so this was a risk.

The dealer had the speakers connected to a brand new Densen set (not a very usual combi I would say), so I started with that. Very detailed, very neutral. I immediately recognized that these speakers are 'better' than my current ones, but I would not call them 'enthousiastic'.

After that we switched to Naim. This was my very first encounter with Naim equipment. The speakers were hooked up to a SuperNait 2.

And oh boy.... Immediately the change was there, and this time the speaker 'came to live'. I spent 4 hrs at the dealer, going through my catalog and enjoying myself big time.

Every time I opened my eyes I was amazed by this relatively small speaker: what a sound!

I do realize that a SuperNaim is somewhat of a different beast than my Brio R, but the dealer already proposed to get the PMC's installed at home to have another listen.

To sum it up: I'm in love with this speaker. Rather neutral, airy and a well defined bass. I think I'm gonna get me a pair :D

The PMC are great speakers but I don't think that your Rega amp are enough for them ... they do need better equipment to really shine :cheer:

spockfish said:

Having heard the 23s with Rega Elicit-R, they were very impressive for the size. Technically excellent that latch onto every nuance, however, as I didn't have the Leema at the dealers, I had nothing to compare it with.... thus I'm going to fall short of fully recommending them.

I think, nevertheless, they'll need a better amp than the Brio-R to hear'em at their best (no disrespect to your amp).

Should you have the financial resources, it'll be well worth investing in Naim XS2 (or original) - Naim and PMC have always IMHO been a great match.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:

sorry El Hefe to divert your thread.... :grin:

spockfish, only I know what i felt to sell the Brio R, it is the BEST 600€ 50wpc amp on the market!

But some times we have to move on.... :roll:

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
spockfish said:

Having heard the 23s with Rega Elicit-R, they were very impressive for the size. Technically excellent that latch onto every nuance, however, as I didn't have the Leema at the dealers, I had nothing to compare it with.... thus I'm going to fall short of fully recommending them.

I think, nevertheless, they'll need a better amp than the Brio-R to hear'em at their best (no disrespect to your amp).

Should you have the financial resources, it'll be well worth investing in Naim XS2 (or original) - Naim and PMC have always IMHO been a great match.

I agree the Naim XS2 can be excellent choice for the PMC , In my opinion this is absolutely the minimum for such capable speakers .

Be prepare to upgrade all your system if you are buying the PMC 23. :O

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
plastic penguin said:
spockfish said:

I agree the Naim XS2 can be excellent choice for the PMC , In my opinion this is absolutely the minimum for such capable speakers .

That's indeed the idea, but I want to start with the speakers. After a new amp. After that..... :D

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
spockfish said:
ISAC69 said:
plastic penguin said:
spockfish said:

That's indeed the idea, but I want to start with the speakers. After a new amp. After that..... :D

That's a good idea to start upgrading of a system with speakers :clap:

Before buying try to demo other capable other good speakers in this level price such as the Spendor A6R , Proac Studio 140MK2

,Proac Response D18 act.

Good Luck

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
spockfish said:
ISAC69 said:
plastic penguin said:
spockfish said:

That's a good idea to start upgrading of a system with speakers :clap:

Before buying try to demo other capable other good speakers in this level price such as the Spendor A6R , Proac Studio 140MK2

,Proac Response D18 act.

Good Luck

I already heard the Spendor. Although very nice, it was kinda 'dull'. Proac is a real problem over here in the Netherlands; there aren't that many dealers.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
How is it possible that PMC seems to match well with both Arcam and Naim? I have found these amplifiers to be very different in many aspects, among others in the bass section—which I assume is because of the damping they provide, and this relates directly to the speakers also.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have heard the 23's with Caspian M2 on several occasions and a fabulous match, they were not available when I was buying but I liked the gb1i's at the time but a little lacking in bass, i feel the 23's have a far better bass response and a much better speaker.

Was interested to see the comment on the Spendors, I heard the A6 and felt they were a bit dull but lovely tonality however at higher listening levels the bass and excitement came out.
My listening environment ie neighbours would not be thrilled to me listening at this volume and from what I read I thought they had improved the bass performance with the A6r's,will have to try and get a listen.

Back on topic I would not replace my 140's with the 23's as although I would say they are better they would not suit my listening environment where I need low volume bass which the 140's give me.

Good review, thanks.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Looking trough the specs (dealer gave me a nice folder) I see that the LF driver is 14 mm, vs 17 in my current 752. I know that size does not matter that much, but still.....

The dealer advised me to *not* go for the 24, because he was certain I would regret that because I'll end up with having too much bass.

Hmmm....

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Have heard the 23's with Caspian M2 on several occasions and a fabulous match, they were not available when I was buying but I liked the gb1i's at the time but a little lacking in bass, i feel the 23's have a far better bass response and a much better speaker. Was interested to see the comment on the Spendors, I heard the A6 and felt they were a bit dull but lovely tonality however at higher listening levels the bass and excitement came out. My listening environment ie neighbours would not be thrilled to me listening at this volume and from what I read I thought they had improved the bass performance with the A6r's,will have to try and get a listen. Back on topic I would not replace my 140's with the 23's as although I would say they are better they would not suit my listening environment where I need low volume bass which the 140's give me. Good review, thanks.

Hi Shanka ,

I own the 140's too , Do you thik that the PMC 23 are better ? Why ?

In the past I have a dilema if to buy the Proac D18 or the 140 , at the end choosed the 140 because the D18 are little bit "light bass" as

the PMC 23 . What do you think was it a good decision ?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
spockfish said:
Looking trough the specs (dealer gave me a nice folder) I see that the LF driver is 14 mm, vs 17 in my current 752. I know that size does not matter that much, but still.....

The dealer advised me to *not* go for the 24, because he was certain I would regret that because I'll end up with having too much bass.

Hmmm....

I think the PMC 24 need more space . If your listening room is relatively small your dealer is right it might be "boomy" also I am afraid that the

24 will need more serious ( and expensive ! ) amplification . If you can demo both in your home it's the best solution for you for making the correct decision .

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing like Electrocompaniet to power passive PMC's.. ECI 5II as minimum... so this combo would cost you £3500 for the amp and £2300 for the speakers. PMC TwoTwo 6 can be yours for less than that and I strongly recommend you audition them and share your views again here, not mention bit more costly option but on a completely different level ATC SCM25A SL.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts