listening room problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I really do appreciate the replies guys on this matter
emotion-1.gif

Ive spent the last few hours experimenting with different positions, i noticed the the speakers sounded better in the middle of the room about 2 or 3 ft apart from each other which isn't a lot of space with any listening position away from all walls, however with everything in the middle of the room this isn't practical unfortunately and looks very odd!

Ive been doing research and someone has suggested bass traps placed in all 4 corners of the room will work by absorbing the bass energy in those areas, not sure how it works but they are supposed to let you hear more bass energy in other parts of the room, however these are just claims and would like to know if anyone has experience with using these

A

Anonymous

hmmm , im not clued up on this , but bass traps ? yes if theyre a fiver each , why not?

but id say they would cost a lot more , id try pillows , cusions , stuff that you have already got around the place , just temporarily , to see if it helps , if it doesnt , will expensive bass (money?) traps ?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
bluedjdaz2010:
would like to know if anyone has experience with using these

Cant say i have, but there seems to be a lot of info out there for DIY bass traps. You could make 4 for around £20 or £30 which is pretty reasonable and an absolute steal if they do the trick.

Let us know how you get on.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When you said you was using a A400X amp I just thought, that's the problem, why, I have that AMP, I never use it now, but I used this AMP years ago in a small ish room and it was great, but when I moved it in to the main room it was up front and no bass just aggressive, so I got my self a pair of TDL RTL3 ( yes this is a long time ago) and them speakers as anybody who knows them are bassy and can have a upfront treble, but the A400 it add no bass, so in the end I brought a ARCAM alpha 9 AMP and it did the trick, but the bass was to heavy and then I changed my speakers to the TANNOY R3 then I moved and that's when my problems started in the front room I have now.

So have you a more warmer AMP you can try as the only CD player I could ever get my A400 to sing with a nice pleasant treble and good bass was a pioneer PDS-703, but place my old Philips CD player on the A400 it was the most unruly system I have ever heard.

What CD player are you using now?

A

Anonymous

I loved the sound of the A-400X but since i replaced it with the A-300R Precision it won me over especially in the bass department, its improved things for sure.

Answer to your question...Im using fine sounding player, Pioneer PDS-505 Precision, a £485 player in its day, a marvelous neutral sounding player with great timing

Im going to try buying a large rug on the laminate floor, we wanted one anyway for decor purposes so that will at least provide some dampening to the room and placing it between speakers and listening position as some say it helps

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
bluedjdaz2010:

I loved the sound of the A-400X but since i replaced it with the A-300R Precision it won me over especially in the bass department, its improved things for sure.

Answer to your question...Im using fine sounding player, Pioneer PDS-505 Precision, a £485 player in its day, a marvelous neutral sounding player with great timing

Im going to try buying a large rug on the laminate floor, we wanted one anyway for decor purposes so that will at least provide some dampening to the room and placing it between speakers and listening position as some say it helps

You should not have any problems with your AMP then with that player, I know what you mean, I loved the sound of the pioneer players around that time with the staple platter mech, the PDS-703 I had was good, but swapped it for a arcam 7se, that's how I know that any other cd player besides the PDS-703 did not sound very good, but with your PDS-505 precision things should be good.

Try this one last thing, where your speakers are toe them in so they are facing each other, I know the treble and midrange will be bland, but just wondering if the bass returns and if you can place your speakers closer together.

Let me know if it brings some bass back or not?

A

Anonymous

ahh funny you saying that because thats what i did earlier and i know it sounds stupid but when i brought the speakers far into the room they sounded nice indeed only a few feet apart about a mere 2 ft in between, i didnt know my B&Ws were capable of such a nice sound but like i mentioned earlier having them in the middle of the room wasnt practical

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
bluedjdaz2010:ahh funny you saying that because thats what i did earlier and i know it sounds stupid but when i brought the speakers far into the room they sounded nice indeed only a few feet apart about a mere 2 ft in between, i didnt know my B&Ws were capable of such a nice sound but like i mentioned earlier having them in the middle of the room wasnt practical

Sounds like you have a room like mine, I was moving my main speakers for weeks or even months till I found there was a room node or standing wave in the middle of the room, so I moved my chairs closer to the middle of the room and I moved my speakers to around 26 inches from the back wall and they are one metre apart, that was the only way to get my bass back and my upper bass as well, now its got a more smooth and detailed sound and the bass is where I sit not up a wall somewhere, plus now I do not have the missions as they could be placed anywhere.

So I have no idea what you should do now, as I know what you mean my TV in in line with my speakers, but because its on a large stand it looks ok, but I have lost around 20 inches of my room, it was that or keep replacing my speakers.

I hope you get it sorted mate.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts