Question Linn System upgrade time

Stihl38

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Have owned a Linn classic music system playing through B&W CDM1 SE speakers for almost 20 years now. I am hooked on the simplicity of a one box solution and the main reason for considering an upgrade would be to embrace new technology such as streaming and Dab audio functions. Thinking would the NAIM unti products be a viable option? Trying to get an idea of a commensurate one box solution delivering equal to or greater quality to the Linn albeit 20 years later.

Tonestar1

Hi Stihl,
Welcome to the forum. Is CD playback an essential function? What other features are must haves? I've only heard the muso from naim so can't comment on how good the Uniti range will sound although they have been very well reviewed. My concern with current one box solutions is that tech is moving very fast at the moment and these products date quickly. Spending in the region of 4k on something that will be most likely obsolete in ten years doesn't sit well with me. If it was my money id be looking at a top quality power amp that will easy last 20+ years and a cheaper one box streamer that can be replaced when needed. I know it increases the box count by one but it does future proof you to a certain extent and doesn't complicate things too much. You could even test it out by using the streamer with the classic for a while to see how you like the interface.

Cheers
T

D

Deleted member 116933

If it where me I’d be seriously looking at the buchart audio a500s active speakers with the hub. Very comprehensive and has a very good eq system

jjbomber

I am hooked on the simplicity of a one box solution and the main reason for considering an upgrade would be to embrace new technology such as streaming and Dab audio functions. Thinking would the NAIM unti products be a viable option? Trying to get an idea of a commensurate one box solution delivering equal to or greater quality to the Linn albeit 20 years later.
Welcome to the forum.

First rule of fight club. As soon as you ask for a one box solution, everyone will give you a three box solution. That's how this forum works!

Yes, Naim is a viable option. Something like a T + A Caruso is worth a demo as long as you don't live in lockdown. The new kid on the block in hi-fi is iFi, getting rave reviews of late. They have the iFi Aurora. It will be a talking point at parties!

Did you have a budget in mind? Are you keeping your speakers and just looking for an all-in-one?

matthewpiano

NAD C368 or C388 with Bluesound 2i MDC module, either with your current speakers or pretty much anything else you may choose. If you wish to add a CD player, you could opt for something pretty sleek like the Audiolab 6000CDT transport and connect it to one of the NAD's digital inputs.

This option will give you a step-up in sound over your Linn and offer some degree of future-proofing thanks to NAD's modular construction.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts