Linn Sondek or Michell Gyro SE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
JohnDuncan:Oh come on David, don't go all cheap on us now... (although I actually think the silver IV looks cooler
emotion-2.gif
)

With a silver Gyro with silver weights, it'll have to be a silver arm really....

David. A lot of folk use a V on a gyro but........if i were thee,get a IV and spend what you have saved on a half decent cart. Or, save your pennies until the new systemdeck hits the market and lob a PU7 on it.
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles:David I was reading the other day where the guy rates Origin Live Encounter arms better than SMEs on Michell TTs have you considered one.
Would an Orbe with Origin arm outperform a Gyrodec with SME?

I'm being a little shallow about this, but I actually prefer the look of the Gyro SE over the Orbe......
emotion-10.gif

The Orbe would outperform the Gyro, but I find the Orbe a boring piece of blackness hat just looks dull. I think it's down to the extra thick platter, and the loss of the lovely weights - although I'm hoping that because the Orbe platter can fitted to a Gyro, the Gyro platter can be fitted to the Orbe.......
emotion-2.gif

I know both will sound great, and I've set up SME IV's on Gyrodecs before, so I know how they sound together, and I like it. The Origin Live arm looks like a glorified Rega arm to me, so I'm not so keen. I like a good bit of engineering, and the SME's are just that!

There, I've managed to slag off three manufacturers in one post!! I don't mean it in a nasty way, it's just like when people want speakers to look right - I want my turntable to look right.

Also, some things I will get a discount on, others I won't......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:David. A lot of folk use a V on a gyro but........if i were thee,get a IV and spend what you have saved on a half decent cart. Or, save your pennies until the new systemdeck hits the market and lob a PU7 on it.
emotion-2.gif

I've always wanted to own an SME V. So when someone dreams of owning something, you can't really talk them out of it. If I got for a silver Gyro, I'd have to go for the SME IV anyway as it's in silver - the V is available in silver for even more money - that would mean spending 3 times the amount on the arm than the deck! Looks are important, but keeping it real is too!

Like I said, I know what the IV sounds like on a Gyro, so I'd be happy with that.

I'm hoping I can sweet talk Steve at Michell into supplying a silver Orbe with a Gyro platter.....that embodies all the elements I like of the two turntables. Not sure how they'd feel about creating a one off though, that would be more exclusive than the Odyssey!! I'll give them a call tomorrow......

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles:

David I was reading the other day where the guy rates Origin Live Encounter arms better than SMEs

Aye,and his mate rates the gyro / IV combo as one of the best ( assuming we are on about the same chap ). Its all down to the individuals tastes and how they like their music to come across. To be honest i wouldnt touch the guy you are on abouts speakers with a bargepole,but hey,he prolly wouldnt like mine either. All down to personal preferences buddy
emotion-2.gif

Come on then david,how did it go with the michell emporium ?. Oh and if your hearts set on a V,well why not i say.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well I found out that Orbes can be supplied in silver, but that doesn't give me what I want, as I prefer the platter/weights of the Gyrodec (even though the Orbe platter sounds better). The two platters are retrofittable, but the motor height is all wrong, as the Orbe belt sits far lower than the Gyro belt - added to this is that the Orbe deck is higher due to a double acrylic chassis.

I have always wanted a V, but I'm just not too keen on a black arm on a silver deck, and I think a IV is a little more sensible with a Gyro SE. I'm not going to consider other arms, because as I mentioned, I've heard the IV with a Gryodec with Orofon cart and loved it - amazing dynamics, and so clean.

So I think I'm going to go with what I wanted in the first place - a silver Gryo SE with silver weights and a silver SME IV. This does leave some extra funds for a HR power supply, although I may have to get a phono stage first - which willmore than likely end up being a Trichord Dino. Not sure which catridge yet, but I have the choice of Denon, Ortofon, Goldring, Clearaudio, Grado, and Rega. I'm thinking a Ortofon 2M Black or Rondo Blue or a Denon 103sa.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Update on the thread i started.

Good News - i already found a local buyer for my Rega Planar 2

Bad News - i cannot justify going for the Gyro - a shame but the budget is limited.

Good News - i have decided on a Rega P3-24 Colour which i can get with the upgrade power supply for £350 (admittedly new but listed as slight second but thats ok given the price saving)

I will also plan to add an Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge and that hits the top budget except for maybe squeezing in a coloured mat.

Adding the cartridge to the arm looks straightforward in the face of it - but as i have not done this before is there anything i need to be wary of ?

Looks like - connect cartridge using pin plug and the 2 top screws and then align using the protractor then do the usual tracking / bias.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord: Looks like - connect cartridge using pin plug and the 2 top screws and then align using the protractor then do the usual tracking / bias.

Yup, that's it - carefully!!

The Rega decks are great and I'm sure you'll be happy with it for many years, like so many other Rega owners.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Sorry one more quick question

The Rega Elys 2 doesnt seem to get many admirers on various forums. I am not sure why this is but is the Ortofon 2M Blue the right decision.

I like its looks (yes vain i know) and it seems highly recommended unlike the Elys. The option with the Elys is it could come prefitted.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Not sure which catridge yet, but I have the choice of Denon, Ortofon, Goldring, Clearaudio, Grado, and Rega. I'm thinking a Ortofon 2M Black or Rondo Blue or a Denon 103sa.

So steve didnt mention the Benz Micro Wood ?. Maybe he has gone off it now !.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:Sorry one more quick question The Rega Elys 2 doesnt seem to get many admirers on various forums. I am not sure why this is but is the Ortofon 2M Blue the right decision. I like its looks (yes vain i know) and it seems highly recommended unlike the Elys. The option with the Elys is it could come prefitted.

The Rega decks never come with a cartridge fitted (except the P1), but if you pop it into your dealer and buy the cartridge, they'll happliy fit it for you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The Rega decks never come with a cartridge fitted (except the P1), but if you pop it into your dealer and buy the cartridge, they'll happliy fit it for you.

Not so. When I bought my P2, I ordered it with a Bias 2 cartridge factory fitted and it was delivered to my dealer as such.

The box was also labelled accordingly.

Also, the Rega pricelist (at least the Sept 2009 one) lists P2 and P3-24 options both with and without factory fitted cartridges. (Using the words "factory fitted".)

Only one small problem and that is that the customer does not get the cartridge packaging (when ordering factory fitted) so when upgrading there is nothing to store the Rega cartridge in safely.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i have had good fun with this thread which i should restart afresh really as it is rapidly turning into a Rega one now for me.

when i directly compare my Rega Planar 2 with my CD - the most striking difference is the CD sound is sharper and clearer but mostly has a better bass defenition. that said there is a real danger in thinking this way.

if i simply put on a new lp for instance (with no comparatives) i feel more than happy with how musical the Rega sounds through what is still a decent amp and speakers and as such am starting to question myself over whether i am upgrading because i need to or just because i have an audiophile urge to spend money (better than spending on my wifes clothes though).

i am going to really slow all this down and have bought 2 items to keep me happy - an ortofon 2m blue cartridge (as i have no idea how much use my AT95 actually has done since the table was 2nd hand) and a blue felt mat.

this should visually give me a new fix and i hope lift the sound performance somewhat too. whether after this i still want to move to a p3-24 i am not so sure. no doubt they are better but the Rega Planar 2 with a good cartridge may just do the job for now.

also i went through a rega downloadable alignment chart on my current cartridge as a kind of preparation for doing my new one when it arrives and it was clear that the tracking from the original owner was not perfect by any means - so this should help too.

i will post again in a new thread once i have tried the ortofon and also maybe get a picture up once its all installed. i suppose what i am saying is the old Rega Planar 2 with glass plinth does actually do a really good job.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:... and have bought 2 items to keep me happy - an ortofon 2m blue cartridge (as i have no idea how much use my AT95 actually has done since the table was 2nd hand) and a blue felt mat.

Excellent purchases both...

3228548240_d0ebda884e_o.jpg

TT now owned by WHF member 'True Blue'.

(There is a blue P3 mat under the record.)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i thought you would approve chebby - i am really looking forward to seeing the ortofon on my table - it looks great in the image

what i like about the TT is the hands on approach to it all - takes me back to my youth i suppose

i wish i hadnt sold all my records a few years ago - although my taste has changed a little so its more a minor disaster than a major one

i wonder how many people get rid of all their vinyl only to return a few years later just for the fun of it all

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord: i wonder how many people get rid of all their vinyl only to return a few years later just for the fun of it all

I did but I didnt sell them, I gave tham away and have no chance of getting them back....Grrrrrrrrrrrr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts