Linn Sondek or Michell Gyro SE

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have a good condition Rega Planar 2 with a AT95E Cartridge which i bought for £100 a few months ago.

Whilst i enjoy giving it a spin every month with a small record collection it doesnt quite stack up against the Arcam CD player so reduces its appeal (to be honest id be surprised if it did). However is it great value for money and i do like a vinyl day now and again.

I am considering an upgrade option - buying a 2nd hard Linn LP12 Sondek (with Basik tonearm) or a 2nd hand Michell Gyro SE both of which ive seen for up to £800 and i like their appearance which is important. The Linn appears to come with greater risk 2nd hand, but visually it does appeal to me more.

I guess the question is how do these compare ?

Also whilst vinyl is available to me locally, i do have a much more extensive cd collection so it may of course only be really worthwhile upgrading the Rega Cartridge to say an Ortofon Blue and saving the money for a whole load records instead.

I appreciate the input - Chebby if you are around i know you had a Rega with the Blue before you sold, how did that compare to the Naim CD player in quality of playback ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This will come down to personal taste, as they both sound quite different.

I've never been a fan of the LP12's looks, even when I owned one. They do sound good, but that comes at a price. They need regular servicing, once a year is recommended to keep them tip top - imagine it to be a car engine.

The Gyrodec is a bit of a bargain as far as I'm concerned. Where most other turntables comprise an acrylic plinth and platter or an MDF plinth, ending up a little lightweight, the Gyro is comprised mostly of varying types of metal, which actually feels like you've got your money's worth. The good thing is the Gyrodec doesn't need regular servicing, but they do have retrofittable upgrades every now and again when they improve things, so you're not going to be stuck with something that stands still.

I heard one with an SME IV arm and Ortofon cartridge once and was quite surprised how much it sounded like CD. I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean there was little background noise, and the dynamics reminded me of CD, although it retained it's vinyl characteristics.

Having not had a turntable for a while, I'm looking at a Gyrodec to add to my system - beautiful bit of kit!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Actually regular servicing would be a slight put off that i should take account of.

Another one that catches my eye is the Clearaudio Emotion.

How does that stack up against the Gyro ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's competition for it, but again,it's one of those decks that doesn't look like you get much for your money in comparison to the Gyrodec. But then, the sort of person who buys a Gyrodec isn't someone who prefers simple, conventional looking decks.

John Duncan

Why are we even having this conversation?!?!?

gyrose_wallpaper.jpg

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i must confess after looking at a few youtube videos is think the Gyro is probably the one

the big question now is whether it is worth the expenditure for me as i really have to decide if i am going to give vinyl more play time v the cd's

it still could be that a cartridge upgrade for the Rega would be enough for me to get my vinyl fix with

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Try out Inspire Hifi's new I2 turntable (£399 with Inspire modified RB251 arm and a Sumiko Oyster MM cartridge)....

blocks_image_2_1.png

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/page10/page10.html

Their new turntables have had some great reviews (alas I cannot post because they are in other UK magazines).

They have an ebay shop you can buy from that often features some excellent used TT's and other goodies. (They service the used TT's before they get sold.)

This link has some far better photos of the new i2 turntable.

(I am not connected in any way with this manufacturer or their shop.)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure about yearly maintenence on the LP12, but every two or three years would be my recommendation.

Also, for the £800 you mention, you should be at least looking at an LP12 Valhalla with Ittok arm - don't accept a Basik/Plus unless the total is less than £600, as the Ittok is a big step up from the LVX.

However, I can't argue on the looks - the Gyro is in a totally different league. The dust cover looks a bit cumbersome though (if a dust cover matters to you - it does to me...)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Why are we even having this conversation?!?!?
gyrose_wallpaper.jpg

Mmmmmmm.......exactly what I'll be getting, with the silver weights. Although I'll be getting an SME arm......heaven
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:i must confess after looking at a few youtube videos is think the Gyro is probably the one the big question now is whether it is worth the expenditure for me as i really have to decide if i am going to give vinyl more play time v the cd's it still could be that a cartridge upgrade for the Rega would be enough for me to get my vinyl fix with

Trust me, you wouldn't regret it. You'll find yourself playing vinyl more often than you do now. Plus, you'll be leaving the motor going even when you're not using it because it looks good
emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

FrankHarveyHiFi:Mmmmmmm.......exactly what I'll be getting, with the silver weights. Although I'll be getting an SME arm......heaven
emotion-21.gif

Yeah, the silver weights are v classy. As are SME arms obviously, if you can get them at trade
emotion-5.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Oh come on David, don't go all cheap on us now... (although I actually think the silver IV looks cooler
emotion-2.gif
)

With a silver Gyro with silver weights, it'll have to be a silver arm really....

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The inspire i2 looks very nice indeed and i will search out the article to read as well.

It could be a good mid point cost between the simple planar 2 upgrade and a full Gyro purchase.

Much as i would want a Gyro right now - i still dont think i can justify the expenditure - it all adds up when you add in the cartridge (which i now realise wasnt included) and tonearm.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
reading the article it suggests a straight fight between the inspire and the p3-24 as viable options at this price

whatever happened to the coloured p3-24's are they no longer available in stock it seems ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:reading the article it suggests a straight fight between the inspire and the p3-24 as viable options at this price

whatever happened to the coloured p3-24's are they no longer available in stock it seems ?

Not quite a straight fight.

The P3-24 should have a 3 year guarantee from an authorised UK Rega dealer (the Inspire i2 has 12 months) but the i2 does have a cartridge included for the price. The P3-24 does not.

The P3-24 high gloss colour versions are around £599 and should still be available to order. (They are still in the Rega pricelists and shown on the Rega website. I think they are made to order.)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:I've never been a fan of the LP12's looks, even when I owned one. They do sound good, but that comes at a price. They need regular servicing, once a year is recommended to keep them tip top - imagine it to be a car engine.I wouldn't say they have needed annual servicing since the early 1990s, when the Cirkus subchassis and better springs were introduced. After having a Cirkus fitted I had my LP12 serviced at roughly five year intervals, with minimal loss. Before that I didn't actually get it serviced annually but it really needed it.

I'd be wary of buying a used LP12 without being familiar with them, and for £800 I'd expect it to have a better arm than a Basik. I would suggest listening to some of Rega's better turntables before deciding on a more expensive and/or risky option.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
thanks Chebby for the information and to everyone contributing it has been helpful to see the options. clearly id love to spend on a new Gyro but i think reality will prevent this for a now.

i consoled myself today by picking up an unmarked vinyl album in my local shop for £1.25 (Foreigner 4) to listen to on my old Planar 2 tonight.

i will let you know what i do decide but for now its between the inspire i2 or a couple of upgrades to the Planar 2 such as a new mat and an ortofon blue cartridge.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Tetrist:I wouldn't say they have needed annual servicing since the early 1990s, when the Cirkus subchassis and better springs were introduced. After having a Cirkus fitted I had my LP12 serviced at roughly five year intervals, with minimal loss. Before that I didn't actually get it serviced annually but it really needed it.

I was just stating Linn's stance, which was a yearly service
emotion-1.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

It'll be an SME IV or a V.....pics will be up once I've decided and received......

David I was reading the other day where the guy rates Origin Live Encounter arms better than SMEs on Michell TTs have you considered one.
Would an Orbe with Origin arm outperform a Gyrodec with SME?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts