Linn LK1/LK2 Should they stay or go?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a Sonos system as I have bought in to the convenience and ease of use of Digital Music. I am not totally happy with the sound as compared to my Linn Genki, which I barely used. I find with the Sonos I am listening to much more music but wish the sound quality was better.

I have my CD's now stored on a NAS in Apple Lossless format connected to the ZP80

In my miain listening room I have 15yr old Linn LK1/LK2 amps driving original Naim SBL's

I have connected the analogue outputs from the Sonos into the Aux input on the LK1

I am looking for help / advice.

With the Linn amps being so old is it time to have a look at an alternative - Cyrus DAC XP & X Power or Naim?

Would adding a DAC between the Sonos and the LK1 improve the sound connsidering a Cyrus DACX or other?

Any other suggestions would be greatly received

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="michael61"]
Any other suggestions would be greatly received

[/quote]

You'd be well advised to visit a dealer and compare some products for yourself. A DAC is likely to improve what you hear and so is new amplification. You are being to vague to suggest anything in particular. The fact that you have (assuming by your description) had your system for a long time means you are accustomed to the way your set up sounds and any change will be quite significant though not automatically better, hence what happened with the introduction of the sonos. Most dealers will give you an option of a dem and home trial.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, In reality I have barely used my system for several years and only really brought it out of hibernation since purchasing the Sonos, so I am not hung up on the sound of the existing system. If I an honest I was not totally happy with it since switching foorm an LP12 to the Genki.

I appreciate the comments about visiting a dealer, it is just were to start? how do current amps compare to the LK1/LK2 are they worth keeping at the heart of the system or not? If not what sort of price range should I be looking towards to improve the system?

I do not want to change to Sonos as I am hooked on the ease of use, so is a DAC the best route or a more modern amp with good inbuilt DAC that will take the digital outputs from the Sonos, like the cyrus DAC XP for instance, I am looking for some pointers. Or do I change the lot!

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="michael61"]I appreciate the comments about visiting a dealer, it is just were to start[/quote]

Again, thats what dealers are supposed to do ... give you options to try. I am not familiar with your system and you dont say what kind of sound you're looking for so I can only repeat what I said, Look for a retailer with a lot of choice. Perhaps somebody else can give you more constructive advise but in the absence of certain information as mentioned before, I kind of doubt it.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi
I think from the information that you have given us that drummermans suggestion regarding a dealer visit is certainly the best way to go. As I recall the LK1/LK2 combo was quite well recommended and in view of your comments regarding disliking the Genki, I am assuming that you don't like the "Clinical" sound that some people consider Cds to have in comparison to LPs?
Maybe the possibilty of some kind of offboard DAC would be the best place to start looking, what exactly is it that dissapoints about the Sonos and have you heard it in any other systems?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts