Linn Classic Music vs Cambridge Audio 740A + 740C?

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Which in you opinion would be better system? Linn one box solution or Cambridge Audio separates? The price is similiar.

I'll try to schedule a demo for both but in might be quite tricky to find both systems in the same place so I was wondering what is your view on this.

A

Anonymous

The Cambridge Audio separates would have a distinct edge, in my opinion.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
madeinstein:
Which in you opinion would be better system? Linn one box solution or Cambridge Audio separates? The price is similiar.

I'll try to schedule a demo for both but in might be quite tricky to find both systems in the same place so I was wondering what is your view on this.

I doubt you have any chance finding both at the same place. I agree with Evilwolf, the separates should be better and you get the digital in with the cd player (basically a £200 DAC).

John Duncan

Though the new Classik has a digital-in as well. Looks quite funky.

My experience of the older Classik was that it more than held its own against similarly priced separates (Rega Planet/Mira), but you never know which Linn is going to turn up when new products come out.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Though the new Classik has a digital-in as well. Looks quite funky.

My experience of the older Classik was that it more than held its own against similarly priced separates (Rega Planet/Mira), but you never know which Linn is going to turn up when new products come out.

It does look good. I think the price is indicative here. If this machine was really that good, it would cost a lot more than the price of the CA separates. Linn is an expensive brand and it's compact, good looking and therefore highly marketable. Normally a all in one box system lacks the performance of separates but you pay the premium of space saving and looks. I reckon you could add another 50% on the price for the fact that it's Linn.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Though the new Classik has a digital-in as well. Looks quite funky.

It does look good. I think the price is indicative here. If this machine was really that good, it would cost a lot more than the price of the CA separates. Linn is an expensive brand and it's compact, good looking and therefore highly marketable. Normally a all in one box system lacks the performance of separates but you pay the premium of space saving and looks. I reckon you could add another 50% on the price for the fact that it's Linn.

Oh there's definitely margin in there, but as Ashley is fond of saying, you're paying a lot of money for the box to keep the electronics in, so there's a balance to be had. The old Classik was somewhere between the Arcam CD73/A70-something and The Rega Planet/Mira whilst throwing in a tuner, so was pretty good value I thought.

John Duncan

Note: the 740s are available on Richer's 30-day money back deal. So you could buy the Cambridges and take them to the Linn dealer to demo side by side, then take them back if the Linn wins.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Note: the 740s are available on Richer's 30-day money back deal. So you could buy the Cambridges and take them to the Linn dealer to demo side by side, then take them back if the Linn wins.

Thanks John that's good to know..

I think first I compare Linn Majik with Linn Classic and I'll see how big the difference is. As I said erlier I really liked Linn Majik + PMC GB1i speakers so one more option would be to get Linn Majik Amp + Cambrige Audio DAC (It would probably cost as much as CA 840A + 840C I guess so that's another thing worth comparing). I just can't justify 1700£ for the Linn DS DAC (no digital in). Can it be 8.5x better than CA?
emotion-1.gif

I never had a chance to listen to CA though.. so before I spend to much I need to listen to CA 740/840 series.

TRENDING THREADS