Linn Axis died......replacement ?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
My Linn Axis died on me last night....switched on...platter did not revolve, removed cover tried some oil...still nothing, giving a gentle push and it did revolve but at variable speed ie slowing down and speeding up. Googled this problem and it seems it is due to failing capacitors in the power supply PCB. At over 20 years old I suppose it can't go on forever. I have used it carefully and infrequently in the 5 years I have owned it...bought it 2nd hand of e-bay, so I don't know about previous owner, but was in very good nick when I got it. The annoying thing is I just replaced the cartridge quite recently with a Denon DL-160 which gave it a new lease of life.....very annoying. for now I will bring my Regs Planar 2 of similar vintage(bought new in 1989) out of spare room semi-retirement and put the Denon cartridge on it I'm guessing it will sound better than it does at present; my problem with the Rega is the spindle on the drive wheel was slipping so I put a little silicon on it to grip the wheel, and it works fine, but it is just not as 'perfect' as it once was; I can detect a slight 'grinding' sound as the platter revolves. So on to the purpose of the thread...what to buy new to replace these aging turntables. I like the Pro-ject Genie 3 but is supposedly quite 'bright' sounding....my system comprises Roksan Kandy K2 Amp with MS Mezzo 6 speakers, thinking bright is the last thing I need.....looking to spend as little as poss, but if nothing will give me the Linn sound at sub £500 I would go higher. Would love a Roksan Xeres 5 but I just can't justify that outlay as I listen to vinyl once a week at most....that's what drew me to the Genie 3...similar styling.....
Any thoughts...

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Ooops meant to say it was the Roksan Radius I even entertained ....the Xeres(20) is just way out of my league....
Really like the Michell Technodec.....at £750 with arm looks really tempting.....

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
You could get a second hand Gyrodec with arm for around £700. You'd be playing vinyl a lot more than once a week then, trust me
smiley-smile.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Would it not be cheaper to replace the broken part. I know nothing about Linn TTs but I would investigate that first, although if you are only listening once a week you perhaps need a better TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts