Limited space option

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just wondered if anyone had got one of these and what they were like! Denon DHT-FS3 X-SPACE Surround Sound System I have limited space in my room ands want this or something similar to go with a panasonic 37 LCD. Thank you

A

Anonymous

Mine is supposed to arrive today - I will test it out and reply.

From what I heard in the shop (Weymouth HiFi), the 'surround-sound' trickery did an impressive job (even in a room full of other equipment) and the overall sound quality was good enough for movie sound tracks as an upgrade to TV speakers.

I also tried the Denon S-302 - which is a stunning piece of kit, but even this was going to be a squeeze.

In the end I found this to be the only product that would suit my room configuration - I'll hopefully set it up tonight/tomorrow and will let you know if I'm disappointed!!

A

Anonymous

Thank you for this, I would be most interested. Do comment on ease of set up too, as am totally new to this area. Will be doing it myself LOL

C

A

Anonymous

Hi again Charlotte - apologies for the the delay. I've finally had a change have a thorough play with this.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase - for a small room that isn't suited to an ideal 5.1 configuration, this has given me pretty much exactly what I wanted with a minimum of fuss.

The setup is very simple - at the most basic level you simply need to plug it in, connect the sub, connect your source and you're away. You can then tinker with the settings such as the room size etc. but there aren't so many options as to be overwhelming and you may even find that you don't need to deviate from the default settings.

Over the weekend I watched Blood Diamond and was impressed. The sound was balanced throughout, handling explosions, music and vocals with dexterity and giving each it's own space.

I was pleased, too, with the surround sound effect. Rain seemed to be pouring either side of the sofa (disconcerting at the time as it was bucketing it down outside). However, the effect will be very dependent on the shape and layout of the room - mine is happy sitting in a corner, but I'd be careful not to squeeze it into a deep alcove.

The systems does have its limits, the sound falls apart a bit at very high volumes, but then I guess this wouldn't really be something you'd normally ask of it. I've played a couple of CDs through it and - although I wasn't expecting much - I was surprised at the clear and composed sound it produced... and added bonus if you don't want a separate music system in the same room.

The bottom line is; if you don't have enough space or are unable to configure your room layout to suit a conventional 5.1 system, then this is as good as a solution as any.

Let me know if you have any, more specific questions.

A

Anonymous

Hi beps.

Thanks for the lovely writeup. Does the Denon sound bar work on a reflective sound model such that it uses the room to reflect the sound (like yamaha's)? Apparantly the Maranzt does not do so.

Am having a space constraint but due to furnitures as well and hence a reflective system would not work too well.

I am also looking at the Denon S302. For comparison, how did you find the sound, stageing etc. compared to the sound bar since you tested both and owned one?

Thanks very much.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for this Beps, much appreciated! This sounds ideal because having had the tape measure out since my initial post, a soundbar really IS the only solution! And this seems to be the one I'll be going for - together with the Denon 1940 player. As for TV well...the options are still spinning :))t

On another, though related note, I see a lot of sound systems have 'lip synching' issues. Can you please comment on that aspect of the Denon!

Thanks again!!

C

A

Anonymous

I don't want to act as an Onkyo rep but You guys should really give the Onkyo LS V501 a go, before You splash the cash on a Denon 302. Tried them both before buying, and The Onkyo was'nt much behind Denon. It even has more AV Connections (inc. HDMI swithing...) and a lip sync adjust menu.

The only thing is- it looks worse :(

A

Anonymous

According to the manual, the DHT-FS3 achieves its surround effects using "DENON's unique X-SPACE SURROUND algorithm analysis technology". It doesn't go into any more detail then this, I'm afraid, but what I can tell you is that there are two speakers dedicated to the centre channel (which is much appreciated) and that surround trickery is handled by another four.

There is a setting for the type of furnishings in your room (soft/hard) and room size, so sound 'beams' must play a part - but unlike the Yamaha YSP-1100 I demoed, the surround effect doesn't disappear when you move more than a few inches to the side.

The following link has a bit more information:

http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/denon/denon%20dhtfs3.htm

The S-302 is a great piece of kit and from it you'll get a much grander sound. It sounded a little muddy with music and soundtracks but I'm sure this could have been improved with a little tinkering. It's DLNA compliant, meaning that it can be used as a media client if you have the right server. It also upscales to 1080p (which other 2.1 systems don't). I really don't think you'd be disappointed with this product should you decide this is the route for you.

However, my reasons for discounting it were as follows. Firstly, it's not quite as compact as it appears to be in pictures. Although there are options to mount the speakers on wall brackets, floor stands or desk stands I simply didn't have room to fit the speakers either side of my TV - the DHT-FS3 fits very neatly and thriftily beneath - and the sub isn't small.

Secondly, over the festive period I suddenly 'found' myself with a PS3 (not sure how that happened) which means that all my streaming and upscaling needs have now been met. Finally; I have found that a drawback common the 2.1 'pseudo' surround systems I've heard is that that central channel does seem to get lost sometimes. I haven't tried the ONKYO (I'm afraid I'd already decided that 2.1 systems were not for me), but this was also the case with the KEF KIT100 and Samsung HT-Q100 - to my ears at least.

Charlotte - I've had no issues with lip-sync so far using the option connection from my PS3 (and the PS3's HDMI to LG 32LB75 TV), but there is a 'delay' setting on the DHT-FS3 which may give you some leeway should you need it. From reading about similar issues on this forum it appears there's a small case of 'system roulette' dependent on the combination of different products.

Sorry for waffling - hope this helps! As aways, it's 'orses for courses, I guess - worth having a listen.

A

Anonymous

I'm gonna write a small review of the Onkyo in a few days, cause after a month with it I think I know it quite well...

... but for now, all I can say is: try before You buy!!! The Onkyo for instance requires a hell of a lot of tweeking with before it starts to sound right. This is caused by the sub which is nowhere near to fitting together in terms of sound with the sats... it either plays too loud and is out of rhythm or is too silent. It took me a couple of days to set it all right (and had to change the sub cable). Now it sounds fine, but believe me out of the box it was a dissaster :( The LS V501 produces a very wide soundstage, the center chanel is obvious, but it's not even close to reproducing rear chanels...

A

Anonymous

Yep, all good stuff. Thanks Beps.

I am starting to think though that you can do too MUCH research. Head spinning, going for lie down!! So many sites, so many forums, so little time!!

:)

C

A

Anonymous

hi beps. just another question.

the sound bar: how many hdmi inputs and outputs does it have?

i too have a ps 3 which is becoming a big source of hd content and also a normal cable setup box. hoping to be able to consider the sound bar too and its sounds.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. toying with another specification for limited space.

not sure if this works.

a onkyo tx sr 605 av receiver

a ps 3 source

a polk audio surround bar

a polk audio psw10 subwoofer or whaferdale diamonds sub?

shld it do the trick and get space save and good enough sound?

thought this may be better than a HTIB...

A

Anonymous

don't know about the Denon but I got a Yamaha 1100 DSP just before xmas,hooked it up to my Quad L sub and new Tosh tv.

The DSP is the star of the show and that's saying something .

the set- up has completely revived my interest in film ,so much so that I've cancelled Sky movies and I'm getting dvd postal/rental movies from now on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts