Like a fine wine...

... my system seems to improve with age.

Won't bore the shorts off yer.

Picked up my daughter from school as usual and it was bucketing down with hail the size of Jack Russell gonads.

Little'un decided to play Minecraft (groan) on the PC, so I slipped on Boyz II Men album on the Electrocompaniet... yep still got the darn thing. You'd expect me to say that it blew my socks off. Nada.

What I am hearing nowadays is like being on the beach with the tide gently cocooning your body and senses. The track 'In the heat of the nite' is an acapella affair, and the voices are so undulating with every vocal exquisitely layered; the detail doesn't hit you between the eyes, but the nuances add to the overall pleasure. Switch to faster tracks and nothing changes.

I switched quickly to the Naim CD5i and little changes: The Electro is a little more laid back in a Arcam sort of way, but that's no bad thing.

The icing on the delicious cake is the TB2is. You've heard enough waffle about them from me so I'll spare you/me any unnecessary blushes, and conclude by saying the accumulative effect is nothing short of wonderful.

So does a system improve with age? Dunno, but I'm sure enjoying the long ride.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it's true of any system that at certain times your system sounds wonderful. A culmination of mood, time, situation, tracks playing, all coincide to produce that wonderful moment.

'Like a fine wine' ..... Yes please, kind of you to offer.

Oh!, you mean it wasn't a question...

Anyway I can understand your situation. I am away from home (at work) for long periods and every time I go back and (sometimes) have the house to myself, not counting the two dogs, I'll stick on some familiar music and could swear blind someone had changed my interconnects .......

Nah, really there does seem to be an initial improvement, possibly psychosomatic due to actually being back home with family.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Al on this one... I work away from home a lot. One of the first things I do when I get back is to listen to music. There's nothing quite like being blown away by your hifi all over again... Current trip is 6 weeks...can't wait to be home!

Totally understand if you work away from home for long periods, but I work from home so I'm never more than 3-4 hours away.

Think, in reality, it's an appreciation of what I have. It's easy to get caught up with other people's systems on here that sometimes you lose track on how good your own set-up is: I'm pretty envious of Al looking at a 4k turntable... but my cheapo is great for the money. It's a case of me actually listening to it rather than hearing it (if that makes sense)

plastic penguin said:
Totally understand if you work away from home for long periods, but I work from home so I'm never more than 3-4 hours away.

Think, in reality, it's an appreciation of what I have. It's easy to get caught up with other people's systems on here that sometimes you lose track on how good your own set-up is: I'm pretty envious of Al looking at a 4k turntable... but my cheapo is great for the money. It's a case of me actually listening to it rather than hearing it (if that makes sense)

Makes a lot of sense to me PP. Being happy with your lot is a very nice place to be.

Oh, and by the way I am most certainly not paying out 4k on a turntable.... The set-ups (including tonearm) might have cost this or more when new but with the very generous offers I have received as a trade-in on existing system and looking at second-hand in some cases I hope to be shelling out just over half of that figure.

i.e. less than the price of a new Rega RP10..... everything's relative and I think I know which set-up I'd enjoy the most.

Animesh Ghose said:
Great thread pp. I have also experienced same thing, some time my system sounds better than it normally does, I put this down to what sort of mood I am in, but yes I definately get surprised sometime by my system.

When I took 4 months break from the forum my system just became better and better. I've had the Leema for nearly 5 years, yet I do think, and no disrespect to anyone, you CAN get too tied up with other people's choices and systems... this makes you wonder, while your own system sings like a canary and you don't realise how good it really is.

I've always said it'll be some time before I even consider an amp change. It's brilliant for the money and some.

The message to you and others is: Enjoy your bundles and they will reciprocate by giving you years of fantastic music playback.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Very true PP. I've been carried away more than once after reading how amazing such-and-such a thing is.

If I am away from my hifi and reading stuff online (not just here) then doubts start to creep in. Yet if I am at home spending quality time listening, then I am content.

SteveR750

I suspect in part it's due to our ears and brain becoming accustomed to a particularly pleasant experience, and heightening it, rather than there being any actual physically measurable change. Either way, enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts