drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I know this should be in the phone section but I think LG'S new phone merits mentioning here.

32 bit ESS Sabre DAC (9018) and a powerful high quality amplifier section. Add twin mic 24 bit recording ... all tuned by no less than B&O and this is a formidable proposition which will likely be serious competition for the likes of Astel & Kern, Fiio, Acoustic Research and a multitude of other makers of High Resolution Players.

Now, I am happy with the Audio of my Galaxy Edge 7 but this is likely a step higher.

Sadly not water resistant.

Not sure about a launch date for the UK yet.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
I know this should be in the phone section but I think LG'S new phone merits mentioning here.

32 bit ESS Sabre DAC (9018) and a powerful high quality amplifier section. Add twin mic 24 bit recording ... all tuned by no less than B&O and this is a formidable proposition which will likely be serious competition for the likes of Astel & Kern, Fiio, Acoustic Research and a multitude of other makers of High Resolution Players.

Now, I am happy with the Audio of my Galaxy Edge 7 but this is likely a step higher.

Kodak went out of business not because they didn't see digital photography coming (they did much of the early research work themselves) - its just that everyone now has a camera in their pocket but it is also their phone (and not made by Kodak).

Ironic if the HiFi biz went the same way.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
drummerman said:

Kodak went out of business not because they didn't see digital photography coming (they did much of the early research work themselves) - its just that everyone now has a camera in their pocket but it is also their phone (and not made by Kodak).

You got a point. However, the very decent camera on my phone is making me want to get back into proper photography with a dedicated camera. Whilst good the limitations are clear and present.

It's compact camera sales that suffered most because of phones.

I think products such as high quality phone audio will affect things such as dedicated High Resolution Players, Streamers and Headphone Amplifiers.

The rest will likely carry on as normal imho.

drummerman said:
andyjm said:
drummerman said:

Kodak went out of business not because they didn't see digital photography coming (they did much of the early research work themselves) - its just that everyone now has a camera in their pocket but it is also their phone (and not made by Kodak).

You got a point. However, the very decent camera on my phone is making me want to get back into proper photography with a dedicated camera. Whilst good the limitations are clear and present.

I think products such as high quality phone audio will affect things such as dedicated High Resolution Players, Streamers and Headphone Amplifiers.

Agree. Even if this phone can handle hires DSD files I am sure it's not going to effect the likes of me who happens to be a dedicated Portable Digital Player type person who will already own a decent portable player. I don't think I am suddenly going to ditch it just because a new phone comes along, just like I am unlikely to ditch any of my cameras because my mobile has a camera built in as they never come close to the performance of even a cheap compact camera.

Sure it may be a cheapish way of getting a passable media player / digital camera / mobile phone all in one package, some people may relish this, but at the end of the day they are going to be just that - mearly passable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
andyjm said:
drummerman said:

Kodak went out of business not because they didn't see digital photography coming (they did much of the early research work themselves) - its just that everyone now has a camera in their pocket but it is also their phone (and not made by Kodak).

Agree. Even if this phone can handle hires DSD files I am sure it's not going to effect the likes of me who happens to be a dedicated Portable Digital Player type person who will already own a decent portable player. I don't think I am suddenly going to ditch it just because a new phone comes along, just like I am unlikely to ditch any of my cameras because my mobile has a camera built in as they never come close to the performance of even a cheap compact camera.

Sure it may be a cheapish way of getting a passable media player / digital camera / mobile phone all in one package, some people may relish this, but at the end of the day they are going to be just that - mearly passable.

In all fairness, I think this phone may be as good as dedicated players. Technically perhaps even better. ESS are the best measuring DAC's out there. B&O have good experience implementing the hardware. I am awaiting reviews.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
andyjm said:
drummerman said:

In all fairness, I think this phone may be as good as dedicated players. Technically perhaps even better. ESS are the best measuring DAC's out there. B&O have good experience implementing the hardware. I am awaiting reviews.

Quite possibly it will be good but there are plenty of DAP's running ESS Sabre DACs andthey tend to have a bit more storage than your average smartphone but whatever floats your boat.

Good though it may turn out to be it will have a limited market I feel, those that already own a decent DAP will not want it and I don't see many Apple fanboys throwing away their latest iPhone 7's.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
I am unlikely to ditch any of my cameras because my mobile has a camera built in as they never come close to the performance of even a cheap compact camera.

Unfortunately for Kodak, most of their customers thought differently.

andyjm said:
Al ears said:
I am unlikely to ditch any of my cameras because my mobile has a camera built in as they never come close to the performance of even a cheap compact camera.

Unfortunately for Kodak, most of their customers thought differently.

Unfortunate for Kodak maybe but not for camera manufacturers in general becuase they tended to be more forward-thinking and the vast majority of their purchasers were actually photographers of a serious nature.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Unfortunate for Kodak maybe but not for camera manufacturers in general becuase they tended to be more forward-thinking and the vast majority of their purchasers were actually photographers of a serious nature.

All the reports I could find indicate that digital compact camera sales have collapsed over the last 5 years. D-SLR sales continue to hold up, but that is a very niche sector of the market.

andyjm said:
Al ears said:

All the reports I could find indicate that digital compact camera sales have collapsed over the last 5 years. D-SLR sales continue to hold up, but that is a very niche sector of the market.

Quite possibly regards the compact cameras but if you read what I wrote again you will see the phrase 'photographers of a serious nature', to whom DSLR is far from niche.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts