LG TV / Bowers and Wilkins Speakers

Guan

Jun 23, 2024
Visit site
Good afternoon all! I hope everyone is enjoying a weekend of perfect sound and vision. 🎵🎞

As a total new comer to the hi fi/4k scene I have a question that may seem basic, but I need some assistance with.

My friend is moving to America and has offered me his nearly new (3 months old) Bowers & Wilkins 607 S3 bookshelf speakers for 100 pounds!

I have recently bought a LG 43UT80 TV, so I was wondering if I could marry them up to form an (admittedly small scale) Home cinema setup, and if so , would any adapters or minor engineering be necessary to make it work?

As mentioned before, I am very new to this, so please don't feel like you are condescending or overexplaining by using the most basic terms. I won't be offended!

Messiah

You would need some sort of amp/receiver to power them. (TV would connect to the amp and amp to speakers).

If you only ever intend on just using the 2 speakers then a stereo amp will suffice (although you will need to consider how the TV will connect to it but that can be discussed later). If you want to keep your options open and possibly move to a full surround set-up (at some point), then a surround amp/receiver would be better.

Lots of options at various budgets in both categories.

Reactions: Guan and DougK1

Guan

Jun 23, 2024
Visit site
You would need some sort of amp/receiver to power them. (TV would connect to the amp and amp to speakers).

If you only ever intend on just using the 2 speakers then a stereo amp will suffice (although you will need to consider how the TV will connect to it but that can be discussed later). If you want to keep your options open and possibly move to a full surround set-up (at some point), then a surround amp/receiver would be better.

Lots of options at various budgets in both categories.
Thank you so much for your reply!

To be honest, I would be open to either option. If I were to go for the stereo option, which stereo amp and connection would you reccomend?

And as to building a full Surround Sound system, what else would I need, (soundbar, additional speakers etc?).

Thank you in advance.

Messiah

I think a lot of this will come down to budget as this can get REALLY expensive, especially if you go down the full surround sound route. Do you have one in mind?

The stereo set up will just need an amp (ideally with an optical input), some speaker cable & an optical cable.

The surround set-up would need*:

-Amp/receiver
-Centre channel speaker
-At least 1 extra pair of stereo speakers for rears (or the current speakers could be used as rears if you bought bigger speakers for the front)
-Active subwoofer (may not be essential depending on the above)
-HDMI cable
-Speaker cable for all speakers.

For full surround sound you should also look to match the speakers so that tonally they gel. So, I would be looking at other speakers in the B&W 600 range (see this can get REALLY expensive, lol).

*Ideally (in my opinion, of course), to get ‘proper’ surround sound you would be best of adding at least 3 more speakers. A dedicated centre channel and another stereo pair for the rears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts