LG picture quality...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I popped into a Currys superstore today to take a look at the Sony TV (KDL 40w3000) I'm about to order online.

I've seldom seen so many TVs in one place so had a good look around at most of them.

I have to say - far and away the best picture quality were LG plasmas - I think I looked at 40, 42, & 50" models. Coupled with excellent prices and case aesthetics far superior to most I'm wondering why they don't seem to rate higher in the mag....

Just wondering what people's responses would be...

Currys are also pushing Samsung TVs everywhere you looked - on which I though the picture quality was dire - text, (e.g. news headlined etc) were really jagged...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's been said before, but beware trusting the "quality" of a set by looking at it in a brightly lit superstore. The TVs are all set up to very high brightness and contrast levels so they stand out in the showroom, but watch them like this at home and you'll be sorely disappointed. Until you've seen one under normal lighting conditions (e.g. a proper dimly lit demo room), it's hard to say exactly how good the picture is.

A

Anonymous

to be honest, my experience with Currys is that the TVs are very close... try and stand the right distance where you would be sitting in your room. As if your 1ft away from a 50" plasma or LCD it will be blurry....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
LG seems to be moving away from the cheap-and-cheerful sets of yore, and some of the more recent models are hitting the spot: we found the Design Art LCDs highly competitive, if not the very best in their class.

What's held their recent plasmas back is the all-round ability - they haven't looked at all bad with undemanding HD content - think animation, nature programmes - but have struggled with darker scenes, very fast action and also with the quality of their TV tuners (which have typically been on the noisy side).

In short, not bad, but you could have bought better.

Whether this will change with their new P6000 plasmas - as previewed at CES - remains to be seen. We will of course will be reviewing them, as with all manufacturers, with an open mind - unlike Crocguy!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="crocguy"]LG and good picture, the two things don't go together, try an eye test.[/quote]
Pretty harsh comment... I'm guessing you must have tested them all at some point then crocguy? What am I saying, your posts so far have all been so well researched you must have...
emotion-1.GIF

A

Anonymous

I have an LG LF66 - superb TV apart from a little black muddiness...but otherwise superb! I love LG design also.

A

Anonymous

I have a 32LC2D, which I guess is a couple of generations old now, and that has superb PQ, IMO. I get occasional break up on some fast moving close ups or tyre smoke, but that's all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts