LG C1

manicm

Hi, I'll be getting the LG C1 55" on the weekend. What would the best settings be?

It will be in a moderately bright room at daytime, with some window reflection but not direct sunlight. For serious viewing we would partially draw the curtains. And it will be hung on the wall.

For now I may stream 4k content through Netflix etc, but not a disc player. On that note will upscaling be on by default? I will still connect my 1080p Blu-ray player.

Thanks in advance!

manicm

If the disc player you won't be using is set to output upscaled, the TV will just accept its output. If you set the BR to native 1080, the TV would upscale. My TV does a better job than the Oppo, so if you do play discs it's worth experimenting.

Thanks, I have my Blu-ray player fixed at 1080p, so the TV should upscale? Which is what I want

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I'll be getting the LG C1 55" on the weekend. What would the best settings be?

It will be in a moderately bright room at daytime, with some window reflection but not direct sunlight. For serious viewing we would partially draw the curtains. And it will be hung on the wall.

For now I may stream 4k content through Netflix etc, but not a disc player. On that note will upscaling be on by default? I will still connect my 1080p Blu-ray player.

Thanks in advance!
The TV is very reflective I now shut the curtains for all viewing and shut the doors. I have it in filmmaker mode and the blacks are superb especially with the curtains shut. I am still getting used to mine to be honest though.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
All you do is turn off the upscaling on the BR player, which can be easily reversed. It seems odd to put time and effort (and cash) into choosing stuff, but not then try to optimise how it performs. But each to their own.
I originally paid to have my system setup and just left it like that. I have since setup up myself a couple of times though but never changed anything like upscaling.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
If you've paid, you'd hope it's as good as it can be. Though I must add that when Sevenoaks did a post-delivery visit to tweak my Pioneer plasma many years ago, I preferred the standard settings and went back to them pronto.
I had the same with a Panasonic plasma 50V20 and they put it on dynamic settings!

manicm

I finally got the set.

1. The setup was a nightmare, it let me choose the region, but not the specific country - after 10 minutes I realised it does not matter as I chose the time zone city.

2. I’m not convinced by the Magic Remote pointer - it’s more a hindrance.

3. Why is accessing the Setttings menu such a pain? You effectively must click twice, and it starts in pointer mode. Also, it first goes into the Quick Menu where it’s very easy to mess up your settings. I always go to Full Menu.

4. For streaming, I would have preferred app specific settings. For example, in YouTube I almost always prefer the Standard picture mode, on Netflix, Disney etc for movies I prefer Cinema mode. I live with the latter as a compromise on YouTube, as I don’t have time for reselecting picture modes every time.

All in all, I’m impressed with the set - but for the UI they should have just copied Samsung and be done with it. I liken LG’s UI to Mercedes - pretty but sometimes infuriating, and Samsung to BMW where everything just feels right.

@Freddy, I think I’ll need some time with this otherwise great set too.

And I got it just in time to view The Sandman in Dolby Vision glory!!!

Reactions: Freddy

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I finally got the set.

1. The setup was a nightmare, it let me choose the region, but not the specific country - after 10 minutes I realised it does not matter as I chose the time zone city.

2. I’m not convinced by the Magic Remote pointer - it’s more a hindrance.

3. Why is accessing the Setttings menu such a pain? You effectively must click twice, and it starts in pointer mode. Also, it first goes into the Quick Menu where it’s very easy to mess up your settings. I always go to Full Menu.

4. For streaming, I would have preferred app specific settings. For example, in YouTube I almost always prefer the Standard picture mode, on Netflix, Disney etc for movies I prefer Cinema mode. I live with the latter as a compromise on YouTube, as I don’t have time for reselecting picture modes every time.

All in all, I’m impressed with the set - but for the UI they should have just copied Samsung and be done with it. I liken LG’s UI to Mercedes - pretty but sometimes infuriating, and Samsung to BMW where everything just feels right.

@Freddy, I think I’ll need some time with this otherwise great set too.

And I got it just in time to view The Sandman in Dolby Vision glory!!!
I have used standard settings quite a bit too. I used to watch all my TVs in standard settings. Once you get used to the TV you will be fine. Nice one. 👍

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
The magic remote is quite simple to use all you do is press left and right, up and down and then enter to navigate around the menus. You have the inputs button which is the same thing there. I wouldn’t wave it around or do anything like than trying to select something hard. Keep it simple using left and right, up and down and enter around the menus and apps and with the cursor.

Last edited:

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I got my C1 OLED in vivid mode and I think it’s excellent! With not being an evo panel I feel vivid mode is justified. I know the bad things that come with vivid mode but on this particular OLED it looks damn good.

manicm

Right, bingo, I finally found the Goldilocks picture setting, while watching Dolby Vision content, choose Standard picture mode, but with TruMotion set to Cinematic. It takes away the unnatural movement from human actors.

TRENDING THREADS