LG BD390 vs PS3 40gb (Worth Upgrading for picture & sound quality)

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
I find myself interested in this LG BD390 of late i especially like its wireless / file format support, but i wish to know how much of an upgrade would it be over a PS3 for picture & sound quality? and if i could stream 1080p movies with a wireless g router to this LG or would i have to buy a wireless N router aswell ?

A

Anonymous

I can stream on the PS3 and no probs with 1080p and a g router, but I would buy homeplugs for this, as you will see stutter, they can be had for 50.00 for the 200mbps ones.

For me, I am happy with the PS3 performance, and see no need to upgrade, since ps3 firmware is updated all the time.

Were people are buying new blu-ray players, I just download a file.

But its your money, you might see slightly better picture and sound, but is it worth the upgrade, only someone with a PS3 and a LG would be able to say for sure.

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

I can stream on the PS3 and no probs with 1080p and a g router, but I would buy homeplugs for this, as you will see stutter, they can be had for 50.00 for the 200mbps ones.

For me, I am happy with the PS3 performance, and see no need to upgrade, since ps3 firmware is updated all the time.

Were people are buying new blu-ray players, I just download a file.

But its your money, you might see slightly better picture and sound, but is it worth the upgrade, only someone with a PS3 and a LG would be able to say for sure.
Currently i use my PS3 with an external Hard Drive but the problem is all files have to be 4gb or less as the drive has to be formatted to FAT 32, plus the PS3 does not accept MKV files so for me to convert them is time consuming or if i was to stream them from what i gather they would have to be transcoded which would loses quality, what software do you recommend to use to stream to a PS3 then?.

A

Anonymous

MKV, No problem, but you do need powerlines/homeplugs.

I am not sure it I am allowed to post a link so delete if I am breaking rules

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

This will encode anything on the fly, not need to transfer files, re-encode.

I know what you are doing, and I can confirm the above programe works great, but again, you need those homeplugs as you will get stutter with 1080p files over wireless.

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

MKV, No problem, but you do need powerlines/homeplugs.

I am not sure it I am allowed to post a link so delete if I am breaking rules

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

This will encode anything on the fly, not need to transfer files, re-encode.

I know what you are doing, and I can confirm the above programe works great, but again, you need those homeplugs as you will get stutter with 1080p files over wireless.

Yeah ive seen these home plugs for around £50 on ebuyer recently, so now all i need to know is Bluray disc playback how does it compare to a PS3.

A

Anonymous

Are these files already on your pc?

If yes you dont need anything. just the PS3 and your PC and home plugs, Thats it.

You want to be looking at the 200mbps ones, but I am making due with 85mbps but do get stutter sometimes for a few seconds one one or two movies,

You dont need any player or anything special

I have seen the sony 360 which got 5 stars and I dont see any difference between that and my PS3.

Maybe if you went to the 760, but why spend 300.00 when you wont see 300.00 worth of difference IMHO

Especialy with all the HDMI 1.4 fulaful . I would wait, and be more than happy with the PS3 for now

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

Are these files already on your pc?

If yes you dont need anything. just the PS3 and your PC and home plugs, Thats it.

You want to be looking at the 200mbps ones, but I am making due with 85mbps but do get stutter sometimes for a few seconds one one or two movies,

You dont need any player or anything special

I have seen the sony 360 which got 5 stars and I dont see any difference between that and my PS3.

Maybe if you went to the 760, but why spend 300.00 when you wont see 300.00 worth of difference IMHO

Especialy with all the HDMI 1.4 fulaful . I would wait, and be more than happy with the PS3 for now

Yes all files are on my PC does this software accept it working from an external Hard drive on your PC aswell or do the files have to be on an internal drive, what about TVersity any good compared to PS3 media server? I know its going to be simple but exactly how do you set these homeplugs up to work etc? Cheers in advance

A

Anonymous

HOMEPLUGS, Plug one into wall by PS3 and router or PC and other one by tv were you are streaming media too simples

They have one socket, which is ethernet, very straight forward.

I can see my entire PC on the PS3 including a passport 320gb external which I stream from as well, and tversity for me was garbage and its full of adware and garbage stuff you dont need, PS3 media is very small and does what it says on the tin, dont alter any settings on it. Just open and thats it.

When you have done all that, open media streamer on your pc, and turn you PS3 on and go to video and you will see a green play button, bobs your uncle, happy streaming, have not had one file it didnt like.

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

HOMEPLUGS, Plug one into wall by PS3 and router or PC and other one by tv were you are streaming media too simples

They have one socket, which is ethernet, very straight forward.

I can see my entire PC on the PS3 including a passport 320gb external which I stream from as well, and tversity for me was garbage and its full of adware and garbage stuff you dont need, PS3 media is very small and does what it says on the tin, dont alter any settings on it. Just open and thats it.

When you have done all that, open media streamer on your pc, and turn you PS3 on and go to video and you will see a green play button, bobs your uncle, happy streaming, have not had one file it didnt like.

Thanks i have just received an email from Richer Sounds selling the LG for £200 ( cheapest ive seen ) Homeplugs £50 so £150 difference is it worth it Mmmm time to think,

A

Anonymous

I personally dont think so, would rather the money for speakers or beer or blu-rays, or crack.

But its up to you, I would not spend an extra 150 if I already had a PS3. But thats me.

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

I personally dont think so, would rather the money for speakers or beer or blu-rays, or crack.

But its up to you, I would not spend an extra 150 if I already had a PS3. But thats me.

Have been thinking and if i drill a few holes in some walls and run an ethernet cable that should work just as good, so if it plays MKV's ok what does it convert it to on the fly so it works on a PS3?

A

Anonymous

That would work as welL

I dont know how it converts the files, it just works on the PS3.

Its like someone giving me 1000,00 and me asking why, just take it for what it is.

Not really tech savy when it comes to stuff like that.
emotion-5.gif

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

That would work as welL

Its like someone giving me 1000,00 and me asking why, just take it for what it is.

emotion-5.gif

Ok no probs thanks for your help anyway,
emotion-1.gif

F

FunkyMonkey

Keep the PS3 and spend a couple of hundred quid on a mirrored NAS hard drive with Twonky server built in,e.g WD MyBook World 2, 2 TB edition liek what I did. All problems solved.

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

That would work as welL

emotion-5.gif

What spec Pc do you have by the way as ive read that you need a reasonable high end PC to convert on the fly using PSM.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally I convert MKV files to work on the PS3 using MKV2VOB (free download)

a 4.37gig file typically takes 10 mins to convert ~ hardly a nightmare

Then it can be streamed directly without the need for transcoding

Or burned to disc (Single or dual density dependant on the size), and copied direct to the PS3s drive (Works better than playing direct)

Anyone with 'stutter' problems can even stream and copy direct to the PS3s drive (Which has no file size limits)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts