LG 42PQ6000 Plasma BACKLIGHT problem?! What a grey day...

kissmeraas

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
After 3 months, my LG 42PQ6000 still doesn't do black - just charcoal grey, even with all the gizmos turned off or low and brightness/contrast at ZERO!!

I'm wondering if mine is faulty because I'm not sure if you can return a TV just because you think it's a bit rubbish.

COULD SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE TRY THIS on their 42PQ6000 in a darkened room, which is how I always watch telly:

When first turned on, with no other source switched on if connected to AV1 (the set still defaults to AV1 even with no connection or signal) the whole panel lights up bright grey-white for a couple of minutes before settling down to dark grey. This initial milky over-brightness is noticeable when viewing programmes

Even after the TV has settled down, the small rectangular "No Signal" flashing moving warning sign when nothing is connected to an AV input literally lights up the whole screen. I expect it to light up the area immediately around it, but the ENTIRE screen lights up uniformly as if a full-screen backlight was providing the illumination. For the half second between flashes, the screen reverts to the kind of "black" you would expect to achieve in dark scenes while watching TV or DVD (instead of the trouser-grey that results if there is any other illumination anywhere else on the panel...)

I thought this was only a characteristic of LCD TVs, hence my purchase of a plasma previously well-rated @ £750. Is mine from a rogue batch, and if so how do I convince Richer Sounds?

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like a definite fault to me. Plasmas, by design do not have
backlights. Each indibidual gas pixel generates its own light. It may
be that the cells are not discharging correctly due to a fault. I have
a 6 year old panasonic plasma. When on but without input, the screen is
obviously 'lit'in a dark room but not to the point of 'trouser grey'
and it doesn't vary in brightness either.
Someone more technical may be able to tell you more, have you tried speaking directly to LG?

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I was sorry to read of the problem you appear to be having with your plasma TV.

Of course if there is a fault with your TV then we would be more than happy to rectify this to your satisfaction ASAP.

To enable me to put the necessary arrangements in hand, please would you contact me via the below email address with your sale details and a phone number?

john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
uuu V.I.P treatment
emotion-2.gif

kissmeraas

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Not 'Arf!

Turns out it was faulty, as soon after my post, it locked in Demo mode and the picture went lime green :-@

I owe a HUGE THANK YOU to John Clayton from Richer Sounds for expediting the returns process and making my Christmas!

It's this kind of excellent customer service that ensures I'll go out of my way to spend money with a particular company, and recommend them to family & friends, and anyone else who'll listen!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts