Let me take care of that for you sir..Oh, thanks Jeeves:)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well no, not Jeeves... Apple. (look away now fr0g and Davey :p )

I really like the Apple ecosystem, i think it's like having a team of cyber butlers/maids tending to my needs :)

I like iOS, i think it's very slick and intuitive, each new version simply hones the previous one whilst adding new features that slot right in. I like that their efforts in thoroughly thinking it all through, means that i don't have to.

I like that when i take a pic with my iPhone, that it shortly after appears on my ATV or any iDevice i might have. I have just one Apple ID and password, that's all i need to input on any Apple product and it joins the team, ready to serve me.

I like the premium look and feel of all their products, and the fact that they're always cutting edge. My new iPhone is basically a two year old model, yet it's still the one i choose to own, because it ticks the most boxes for me. It's probably still the most sought after too. Is that because it's an iPhone? Or because it was so well thought out when designed? A bit chicken and egg perhaps :)

Anyway, i can't afford to have servants, but i can afford to have some Apple products, which is the next best thing, and they're very clever and desirable servants, and always on call 8)

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree more, currently own a MBP and iPhone. I'm constantly accused of being an apple "fanboy" but for me, they are the best at what they do. I don't think I'll ever go back to a windows PC (for every day use, some of my uni stuff forces me to on the odd occasion).

The amount of time I spent dealing with error messages etc on it, looking back at least, was ridiculous. It seems a lot of money to pay for something that works, but worth every penny. Having said that I don't go blindly buying apple products just because they are apple and therefore going to me "great". iPad for example, can't see the point in one when I have a Macbook, never really will so I shan't be buying one. Regardless of how nice and appley it is . . . :shifty:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm stocking up on baked beans as we speak. Baked beans, water bottles, axes and sawn-off shotguns to be precise :)

A

Anonymous

The 4S takes pretty good shots (for a phone). Looking at a slideshow while chilling out listening to iTunes is nice, i find :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
I'm definitely sensing another entry in the religion column after the next census.

No acolytes or 'fanbois' here.

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 only because of it's AirPlay compatibility. We have an iMac (the very last of the white Intel Core 2 Duo versions and still very quick) and an AirPort Extreme 802.11n.

I favour iTunes because it's so easy and enjoyable to use. I only upgraded the OS on the iMac as far as the last version of Snow Leopard (again, just for AirPlay) and will only upgrade if I have to.

None of us can think of any use for an iPad, for either leisure or work. (Having one just because it's shiny doesn't do it at those prices.)

I - briefly - considered an Apple TV but went for a Humax HDR-FOX T2 instead.

Other than that, we use two Dell 6420 laptop based systems (both Win 7) and an (almost) two year-old Dell Vostro PC running on XP Pro.

I also have a Dell Latitude D630 in a laptop bag under the stairs (a spare) that I get out every month for a backup and Windows updates.

So if anything, I am probably more of a Dell fan :) Great reliability and 1st class, 'onsite', next business day support on the rare occasions it was required. (Better than the fortnight it took Apple to turn around an HD replacement under 'Apple Care' cover.)

We have had at least one Dell in the house for over 12 years now. The oldest one was 8 years old - and still working fine - when we reluctantly parted with it a couple of years ago. (Donated to a local adult learning centre and - maybe - still working for all we know.)

So for work, education and 90 percent of home needs it would be Dell every time.

For music and photography (and it's design) it would be Apple.

However, when it comes to after sales support (especially if you really depend on it), Dell.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
chebby said:

+1

I am of course a big fan (no matter how some might project otherwise), but I do at least recognise that other products achieve the same, or more, as well or better in different circumstances.

Agreed.

My point was, for my needs, I couldn't buy any better than the Apple products I purchased (well, certainly at the point of purchase any way). That was why I purchased them. Just in case this was misinterpreted by any religious types - they have a history of that.

John Duncan

professorhat said:
John Duncan said:
chebby said:

+1

I am of course a big fan (no matter how some might project otherwise), but I do at least recognise that other products achieve the same, or more, as well or better in different circumstances.

Agreed.

My point was, for my needs, I couldn't buy any better than the Apple products I purchased (well, certainly at the point of purchase any way). That was why I purchased them. Just in case this was misinterpreted by any religious types - they have a history of that.

They also have a habit of not being able to comprehend the possibility of your needs being different from theirs, and are blind to the fact that some other products are actually capable of doing, well, stuff.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I think if everyone just chose what they liked, and didn't insist on pushing it in your face all the time, the world would be a far more pleasant place to live.

The iPhone is a good phone, on paper not the best, but just like Hi-fi, the best on paper isn't always the best for you.

My main problem with going the Apple route (however great the hardware) is that it leads you down a path with fewer choices and less versatility. Some people can live with that, as that path has a very solid ecosystem. For me, choice is always king. With everything I purchase I want the choice where and what to buy, based on my needs at the time and the specifications of the products available.

I choose my own requirements, it "seems" to me that Apple choose them for you. If that suits, then it's a comfy place to be, for me it's a collar.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Oh people can push it in my face if they like, as long as they're well informed about things' capabilities and don't give spectacularly bad advice based on incorrect information.

Sounds fair. Trouble is, they do, often.

Paul.

I love it when people get sooooo mad cos you can't agree with their point of veiw that you must be a fanboy, but then don't see the irony that by that logic their own refusal to see the others point of veiw would also make them a fanboy, no? All tech is a compromise, there is no right, only slightly less wrong than the others.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes, as soon as I bought an iMac, my eyes glazed over in rapture, I started wearing black turtle neck shirts and a Homburg then saved up to travel to Apple store openings where (if I was lucky) I would get a T-Shirt and a 'high-five' from the staff after queueing for 3 days and nights. I changed my job title to include the word 'Visualizer' and bought a snake.

John Duncan

professorhat said:
fr0g said:
I choose my own requirements, it "seems" to me that Apple choose them for you. If that suits, then it's a comfy place to be, for me it's a collar.

And once again, the patronising comments come forth. If only I could think for myself... :roll:

TBF, I'm not sure that's not fair comment - it's half their business model!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts