Let me take care of that for you sir..Oh, thanks Jeeves:)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
professorhat said:
fr0g said:
I choose my own requirements, it "seems" to me that Apple choose them for you. If that suits, then it's a comfy place to be, for me it's a collar.

And once again, the patronising comments come forth. If only I could think for myself... :roll:

TBF, I'm not sure that's not fair comment - it's half their business model!

Sure, some of it is. If you want, you can purchase everthing from iTunes on your Mac, then download or stream it to your iPhone / iPad / Apple TV. But very little of what I use my Mac / iPhone / Apple TV for is Apple controlled or even comes from iTunes, so I'm not at all limited by this.

Essentially though, fr0g's comment has the undercurrent which continues the same old rhetoric i.e. Apple users are comfy and happy to be spoon-fed in their walled-in gardens i.e. like comatose patients, unable to think or do anything for themselves. Only Linux / Windows / Android users are capable of this (apparently).

To be fair, the comment was preceded by this statement which isn't entirely untrue:

These things are small hand-held computers. When I shop for software on a computer I want a choice of where I can buy it, and to be able to make my own mind up IF I want to buy it. Yes, that opens me up to more vulnerabilities, but then I'm an adult and should be able to make up my own mind, not some guy in Apple/Microsoft/etc HQ censoring me at source.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed it was. But again (and for the last time I promise!) it still doesn't stop the fact that the main point which is trying to be made is Apple users are unable to think for themselves. Doesn't matter how much spin and fluff there is around it.

A

Anonymous

daveh75 said:
ooh.. said:
Looking at a slideshow while chilling out listening to iTunes is nice, i find :)

I could do that without the need of an extra box (that requires you to to buy into a closed system)
I didn't say you couldn't :)

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Yes, as soon as I bought an iMac, my eyes glazed over in rapture, I started wearing black turtle neck shirts and a Homburg then saved up to travel to Apple store openings where (if I was lucky) I would get a T-Shirt and a 'high-five' from the staff after queueing for 3 days and nights. I changed my job title to include the word 'Visualizer' and bought a snake.
:)

professorhat said:
The_Lhc said:
professorhat said:
So he did. But then that's Windows phones, so only about 6 extra people :)

Are they really selling that badly?

Depends on your definition of badly really. 2 million units in Q1 gives you either:

Link 1

Link 2

But yes, admittedly more than 6.

:grin:

Windows, being a relatively newer platform (competitive enough to challenge iOS & Android) will take time to take off. Windows 8 is generating a lot of buzz currently. It remains to be seen whether this fizzles out or not. I suspect it will be a success.

I can see the importance of Nokia in fuelling Windows' growth. To come up with first generation phones such as the Lumia 800 is a tremendous achievement. It has the best build quality I've seen in a smartphone, & amongst the best aesthetics and screen response.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
To the professor in the hat. I am really trying not to be patronising. I am merely putting across the situation as I see it. Sometimes maybe that comes across as patronising, but it's difficult to express what I feel without some of that creepimg in.

I'm not "anti-Apple" any more than I'm anti-(insert large, usually US corporation here). They all have their faults.

I'm going to be buying a new phone myself imminently, and my current shortlist includes the Lumia 800, the Sony Xperia S and the HTC One S (The X is too big, as well as the Galaxy Nexus).

The Windows phone is a potential as I am tempted (as an ex-software developer) to write some software for it, add to that the fact that it is an incredibly smooth experience all wrapped up in my personal favourite looking phone of the moment.

If I were to "only" choose on looks, the iPhone 4 would also be considered, but I don't like the interface (or iTunes) and I find the screen a bit pokey (if extremely HQ). Microsoft would have sold me the Lumia at once if they hadn't lumbered it with the need to use the Zune software /inability to mount as a hdd. The screen is possibly a little small too, but it's incredibly bright and readable.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
To the professor in the hat. I am really trying not to be patronising. I am merely putting across the situation as I see it. Sometimes maybe that comes across as patronising, but it's difficult to express what I feel without some of that creepimg in.

Fair enough. But I hope you can see that, though Apple products aren't right for you, there are a number of people who buy them and use them and who aren't just brainless morons who'd buy a chocolate teapot if it had an Apple logo on it and could be switched on through iTunes :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts