Less costly replacement for Ortofon X3 MC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On my Thorens TD166 BC MkII have an elderly Ortofon X3 MC cartridge fitted on to a Mayware arm. My amplifier is an Aura VA100 and the speakers are Linn Index. I either need to replace the cartridge or have the stylus re-tipped, which is going to cost me an arm and a leg if I stick with the X3 MC. Can anyone suggest another cartridge that might give me good enough audio quality but won't break the bank?

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
The X3 is an older model that was cheaper than the X5 so that's not a route I'd suggest, both are also no longer in production. Being a high output MC you are somewhat limited and, if you want to reduce cost, I'd suggest looking at a moving magnet cartridge instead.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Henley - the nearest thing I've been able to come up with is the Ortofon Tango. I know nothing about it, though. Perhaps going down the moving magnet route might be a good idea. The Mayware's tracking is so light it might be helpful to try an MM. If anyone has any MM recommendations I'd be glad to hear them. Price range is up to £200.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Your problem with the Tango will be the output as it is more of a true MC with 10th the voltage of the X series. X models were designed for folks who wanted to venture into the world of MC's but did not have a capable phono stage. There are some great Moving magnet models but, as a distributor, I'm not allowed to mention them. £155 will buy you something rather nice but, if you could be tempted, I would spend just a little more for a higher end model.

Mods; I've tried to be as vague as possible but the chap has asked for help :)

John Duncan

How about an Ortofon 2M Blue at about £155?*

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you Henley. I didn't realise there was an output issue. You've been very helpful in setting me on the right track - much appreciated. By the way, I'm a female chap.

A

Anonymous

There's also the high-output Denons which retail for a bit less. Don't know that arm, though, so am hesitant about recommending them.

A

Anonymous

Thank you - I don't know anything about Denons and Maywares being teamed up, but I'll look into it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts