Left channel fault ?

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I was messing about with my system and noticed that the bass out of my left speaker is flatter than the bass coming out of my right speaker. I have swapped the speakers round and it's still the same. It's the same playing vinyl as with streaming Spotify. I have tried the speakers in A and B connections and still the same. The sound is only noticeable when I swap from one side to the other. It's not massively different but definitely noticeable.
Do I have a problem with my Matantz PM6006 or could it be speaker placement. The right speaker is in a corner about 30cm from both walls and my left speaker is in a corner with the wall to the back and chest of drawers to the side, again 30cm away.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
you say you've swapped speakers with the same result.

you have tried different sources with the same result.

I think your amp is the problem.

do you have any friends that you can do a final check with.

*dance4*

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Worth doing a few more swaps if you can hilts. Another amp, different speakers if you can source them, different positioning of speakers if you can.

I tried getting my speakers either side of a desk at one point to check relative sound. Had to move them out of their usual corner positions. Biggest desktops ever. It turned out to be one channel on the amp. There was some capacitor deterioration. Fairly easy repair.

Worth a process of elimination before dragging things off to an engineer if you can. Good luck with it.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the positioning of the left speaker as the problem. I swapped the left channel speaker cable to feed the right speaker and the right channel cable to feed the left speaker, so if it was the amp that was a problem then the right speaker should have sounded worse. It was still the left speaker that the bass definatley sounded flatter.

Here are a couple of pics, the left speaker positioning first.
donZMGT.jpg
[/img]
1G5hFuD.jpg
[/img]

hilts10 said:
I'm leaning towards the positioning of the left speaker as the problem. I swapped the left channel speaker cable to feed the right speaker and the right channel cable to feed the left speaker, so if it was the amp that was a problem then the right speaker should have sounded worse. It was still the left speaker that the bass definatley sounded flatter.

Here are a couple of pics, the left speaker positioning first.

You shouldn't have a problem even with that positioning, perhaps there is an issue with that particular speaker.

Can you clarify, with all your swapping, that it is the same speaker giving the problem.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Al ears said:
You shouldn't have a problem even with that positioning, perhaps there is an issue with that particular speaker.

Can you clarify, with all your swapping, that it is the same speaker giving the problem.

I've swapped the speakers round and it was still the left one so that rules out it being the speakers. Also swapped the speaker cables round which rules out the amp or cable. So to me it can only be the positioning.

When it is balanced it is not noticeable only when i switch from left to right.

insider9

hilts10 said:
I'm leaning towards the positioning of the left speaker as the problem.

It is in fact the position of the right speaker that is the problem. The corner reinforces the bass signigicantly as not only the back wall but also side wall has an effect. The left speaker only has reinforcement from the back wall which is the usual scenario. Unless you can move the right speaker then the only other thing you can do is to use DSP and attenuate some of the extra bass you're getting from the right speaker. With your setup DSP would be difficult to do especially as it only needs doing to one channel.

Is it a matter of wanting perfection or does it cause a big issue? Bass can affect imaging, midrange and if over done do more harm then good. But if it's only a matter of wanting perfection I guess my advice would be to leave it be.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
Is it a matter of wanting perfection or does it cause a big issue? Bass can affect imaging, midrange and if over done do more harm then good. But if it's only a matter of wanting perfection I guess my advice would be to leave it be.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. No it doesn't cause issues, I wouldn't have know if I wasn't messing and I can't tell at all and sounds excellent when the speakers are balenced. So think I will leave alone.

As far as the PC goes, I used to have a computer desk until I got back into hifi. It's only for occasional use until I get a new laptop.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts