Leema Tucana MKII Anniversary

insider9

For me this is the one that got away and a benchmark for amps in £10k range. Wish I could've afforded it at the time but knowing what happened afterwards in my life I know it's probably best that I didn't get it, as I'd have had to sell it when I was moving. It's definitely something to go for when funds permit.

Reactions: RoA
this is the one that got away

Well I know the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition like the back of my hand and I'll say to you when you're ready to look again then also consider Kinki Studio's EX-M1+. At half of the retail price (£2850 v £5500) the EX-M1+ quality of components used, build, fit, finishing. power and overall performance can show the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition a thing or two.

Last edited:
Well I know the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition like the back of my hand and I'll say to you when you're ready to look again then also consider Kinki Studio's EX-M1+. At half of the retail price (£2850 v £5500) the EX-M1+ quality of components used, build, fit, finishing. power and overall performance can show the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition a thing or two.
don't like the looks and it also doesn't have a balance control.... :)

insider9

Oh well. I think the EX-M1+ looks great. Anyway leaving exterior design to one side for a moment in my opinion Kinki Studio's real beauty lies within. A pic. I took of the inside of an EX-M7 power amp which is very similar to the EX-M1+ (not had a chance to open up the EX-M1+) -

View attachment 2546
Insides look spot on. The outside not so much. I wouldn't care if it sounded close though, but I'd be really surprised if it sounded better

If you like the Leema presentation they are hard to beat. But you won't have a clue about their presentation unless you demo the brand, very few have based on peoples signature

But for Rickycraft to state he knows the Tucana MKII Anniversary like the back of his hand is nonsense given he's not a supplier of the brand, according to his website.

I've had the Pulse for over 11-years and the original Tucana MKII for about 18 months, yet I would never claim I know the brand like the back of my hand.

That other amp that was flagged I would never buy because of the name Kinki. Oh er missus. And it's fugly as well.

Doesn't @Al ears live in Wales? If so he could walk into Leema and try and blag one for a few days. Just a thought.

But for Rickycraft to state he knows the Tucana MKII Anniversary like the back of his hand is nonsense given he's not a supplier of the brand, according to his website.

In fact I do know Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition like the back of my hand because we stocked the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition, Hydra II Anniversary Edition, Pulse IV and the Quasar.

Btw, the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition amplifier that insider9 refers to/listened to at his home was our in fact our amplifier.

If you like the Leema presentation they are hard to beat. But you won't have a clue about their presentation unless you demo the brand, very few have based on peoples signature

I've had the Pulse for over 11-years and the original Tucana MKII for about 18 months, yet I would never claim I know the brand like the back of my hand.

That other amp that was flagged I would never buy because of the name Kinki. Oh er missus. And it's fugly as well.

Doesn't @Al ears live in Wales? If so he could walk into Leema and try and blag one for a few days. Just a thought.
I do but it would be a bit of a walk.... :)
And a pointless exercise until they incorporate a balance control.....

Last edited:

insider9

Can I say that's harsh. Rick was the one who kindly pointed me towards and offered Leema Tucana II Anniversary. I'm surprised you don't remember this. Check out thread below

Edit:
Since the forum came back I'm not sure if the formatting etc. came back as it was. Here's review in full on the Wam. Which was copied over when WHF forum was closing down

Last edited:

insider9

In fact I do know Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition like the back of my hand because we stocked the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition, Hydra II Anniversary Edition, Pulse IV and the Quasar.

Btw, the Tucana MKII Anniversary Edition amplifier that insider9 refers to/listened to at his home was our in fact our amplifier.
Absolutely and what pleasure it's been!

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Can I say that's harsh. Rick was the one who kindly pointed me towards and offered Leema Tucana II Anniversary. I'm surprised you don't remember this. Check out thread below

Edit:
Since the forum came back I'm not sure if the formatting etc. came back as it was. Here's review in full on the Wam. Which was copied over when WHF forum was closing down

Well, it's a bit suspect that Leema don't have Musicraft on their UK dealers, Musicraft don't list Leema in their brand section. And I've never seen Leema listed on his promotions or reduced list.

I've also called Leema and asked the lady if they have any dealers in Derby. After around 5 mins of looking she said, "no. We did have but they closed down a couple of years ago". (please feel free to call them and ask). So unless he trades under different names or buys from an outside hi-fi distributor, not sure how he's sourced them.

Anyhow, this thread isn't about what's good and what's not. Just thought the video was interesting, as a hi-fi forum hoped it might interest a few people.

Reactions: Tinman1952
Well, it's a bit suspect that Leema don't have Musicraft on their UK dealers, Musicraft don't list Leema in their brand section. And I've never seen Leema listed on his promotions or reduced list.

I've also called Leema and asked the lady if they have any dealers in Derby. After around 5 mins of looking she said, "no. We did have but they closed down a couple of years ago". (please feel free to call them and ask). So unless he trades under different names or buys from an outside hi-fi distributor, not sure how he's sourced them.

pp we were a dealer for Leema. We bought all our stock from Leema. Unfortunately we couldn't support Leema anymore and we duly notified Leema of our decision. Our Leema stock was subsequently advertised on our site and various forums and sold on accordingly.

leema website musicraft dealer listing 2017.jpg

leema website musicraft dealer listing 2019.jpg

Reactions: Al ears
It would look better in black but the washboard front is no looker for sure.

I think ribbed faceplate is subtle and looks superb. Kinki Studio components have to be seen in the flesh to fully appreciate the first rate build, fit, finishing and quality of components used because pictures don't fully do them justice.

Btw, the EX-M1+ and all other Kinki Studio components are also available in Black finish -

kinki studio exp27 black front 2.jpg
EX-P27

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and RoA
That other amp that was flagged I would never buy because of the name Kinki. Oh er missus.

The other amp that you refer to is the Kinki Studio EX-M1+. I believe the owner/chief designer named the brand Kinki after his wife. I guess different names and words can have different meanings in different parts of the world.

Whilst and unfortunately there might be some who will take the mickey of the name the Kinki Studio guys are not messing around. They have got their heads down and are producing fabulous products.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I think ribbed faceplate is subtle and looks superb. Kinki Studio components have to be seen in the flesh to fully appreciate the first rate build, fit, finishing and quality of components used because pictures don't fully do them justice.

Btw, the EX-M1+ and all other Kinki Studio components are also available in Black finish -

View attachment 2561
EX-P27

That looks a lot better imho Rick

Terry was a member here a few years back. Great chap! Can't remember under what name he was posting though.
I'm stumped as to who he was on here. Nevertheless, his reviews, although very detailed, are somewhat out of kilter when it comes to speaker matching. When he reviewed the Dynaudio Evoke 10 he used the 5.4k Tucana. But when he reviewed the Pulse MK IV he only used the Kef Reference 3, which are over 10k. I would suggest the Pulse, at only 80 watts P/C, would be a better match than a 10k high end speaker. One reason I take little notice of outside reviews.

SNunn

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
I had the ordinary Tucana 2 on a shortlist until I found out it doesn't have a balance control. Pity as I rated it otherwise.
Hi - The Tucana does have balance control. My Tucana 2 does anyway!

Balance Button
This button allows the user to vary the sound balance between the loudspeakers. Turning the volume knob anti-clockwise will move the sound to the left, clockwise will move it to the right. The balance control is not unique to the input in use and will affect all sound sources.

TRENDING THREADS