Leema Tucana II or Rega Elicit R

QUIKSTER

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Peeps,

Just wanted to your thoughts on what amp option would work best for me.

I may have an opportunity to pick up a Leema Tucana II for the same price as the new Rega Elicit R.

Current system consists of Rega Saturn CD, Leema Pulse II and MA RS6 speakers which will be the next things to upgrade.

I listen to mostly dance, electronic, Hip Hop, R&B music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Leema is the "better" amp on paper, but, whether you prefer it with your speakers and in your room, is the only thing that counts.

Can you bring both home to compare?

QUIKSTER

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The Leema Tucana is a private sale, but could probably demo the Rega.

I don't want the MA RS6 speakers to be the basis of deciding on the amp, as they will be upgraded soon.

Want to make sure I'm deciding on the correct amp which would be the better suited to the Saturn and any future £1500+ speakers PMC, Dynaudio, Kef's.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QUIKSTER said:

I don't want the MA RS6 speakers to be the basis of deciding on the amp, as they will be upgraded soon.

Want to make sure I'm deciding on the correct amp which would be the better suited to the Saturn and any future £1500+ speakers PMC, Dynaudio, Kef's.

In that case, if I had to take a punt, I'd probably get the Tucana and match speakers to it.......but make sure you hear the Rega.

CnoEvil said:
QUIKSTER said:

In that case, if I had to take a punt, I'd probably get the Tucana and match speakers to it.......but make sure you hear the Rega.

+1

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
In the past I also had Leema Pulse II like you and then I upgarded it to Tucana II.

From my experience Tucana II is very powerful and can drive all kind of speakers without difficulties. It is very dynamic and neutral. The only thing you need to know is that the casing of Tucana II can run quite hot after an hour or so. I am using Spendor SA-1 which is considered to be difficult to drive but Tuncana II can master this speaker easily without any issue.

I have no experience with Rega but you can have an audition on both amplifiers before making your final decision.

If you ask me I would recommend Tucana II if you are prepared to upgrade your speakers in the future.

QUIKSTER

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Would the Rega Elicit R be a side step move from the Leema Pulse II, as when new the Pulse II retailed similar to the new Elicit R.

You would think the Tucana would be more of an upgrade due it costing twice that of the Elicit R.

Also this running hot thing, anything to worry about?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I know it is not much help as I have not heard a Leema amp but I did demo a Nait XS2 & Elicit R - Both sounded good but i thought the Naim sounded a bit to thick with the bass and i much preferred the transparency of the Elicit R.

I am well pleased with the Elicit R but I sure you would pleased with either amp just depends on which sound you like best.

As for the Leema being better on paper, yes it probably is but we all know it's all in how we perceive the sound and what sounds best to us......not facts & figures.

Also the Elicit R has good phono stage on board - which is at least as good as the Dino Mk2 with a 10x5 cart.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BTW the Elicit R runs hot - this is perfectly normal.

In actual fact the Elicit R does sound better after an hour or so warming up.

QUIKSTER

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Ended up with the Tucana, big improvement from the pulse.

The Saturn and Tucana seem to match o.k to me.

Now just need some recomendations on speakers £1500+.

Any that I should be short listing.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
:)
QUIKSTER said:

Hi , in what areas do you feel the Tucana is an improvement over the pulse?just out of interest ...and jealousy.:)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
QUIKSTER said:

My Tucana is connected to a pair of Spendor SA-1 + a subwoofer. They sound excellent.

If you want small speakers with good bass and SQ I would also recommend PMC twenty.

QUIKSTER

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

The way I would describe the improvement, is simply that it provides a whole lot more of what the Pulse did best.

Everything sounds more clearer and tighter, not had a chance or need to go any louder than 9 o'lock n the volume dial.

Even the old MA RS6 sound better, but I know theres still room for improvement.

Any new speakers would need to be floor standers which would work well in a 13ft x 17ft room, carpeted,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QUIKSTER said:
Hi All,

The way I would describe the improvement, is simply that it provides a whole lot more of what the Pulse did best.

Everything sounds more clearer and tighter, not had a chance or need to go any louder than 9 o'lock n the volume dial.

Even the old MA RS6 sound better, but I know theres still room for improvement.

Any new speakers would need to be floor standers which would work well in a 13ft x 17ft room, carpeted,

You could put Kef R500s on your list.

TRENDING THREADS