Leema Pulse v Brio R

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently seen the Leema Pulse at half price which puts it in the same price bracket(ish) as the new Brio R

I'm about to completely upgrade my entry level hi-fi system and these amps look like the next level.

As a 99% vinyl user, does anyone have any advice on which amp and also what speakers would link up well. I'm not looking to blast out the volume but i do like to play at a good level.

Cheers :)

dynamo127 said:
I've recently seen the Leema Pulse at half price which puts it in the same price bracket(ish) as the new Brio R

I'm about to completely upgrade my entry level hi-fi system and these amps look like the next level.

As a 99% vinyl user, does anyone have any advice on which amp and also what speakers would link up well. I'm not looking to blast out the volume but i do like to play at a good level.

Look at my sig...

I don't doubt the advice above, but why is it half-price?

A new model (the series III is current), or not competitive at old price, perhaps? Or is the one you've seen a series II?

This thread might be worth a read through:- http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/cyrus-6xp-or-leema-pulse-for-rs6

Also depends a lot on the rest of your system...

T

the record spot

Sevenoaks were the only ones selling it at such a low price for long enough. Plus, having heard it with a bunch of other similarly priced amps, it nearly replaced my Sansui, but I had that repaired and stuck with it (delightedly, as it's a fine amp). I'd say it's good value for its full price, but at £700, it's well worth considering - that said, there's some competition with the likes of Harman Kardon and XTZ which are arguably as good if not better propositions.

A

Anonymous

cheers for the replies so far

i am going to audition the leema. i've never 'auditioned' hifi equipment before - any tips?

also, what speakers would link well with the leema - i listen to mainly guitar music (wide taste) in 4x5m room

thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dynamo127 said:
... i've never 'auditioned' hifi equipment before - any tips?

Take a selection of the music you enjoy the most and play most frequently.

Also take along any music that causes problems for your present system (if you have any) for instance music you currently find too bright or muddled.

Ask the staff if you can control the volume so you can listen at the level you like.

If it is possible, try to take your record player to use as the source (you say it plays 99 percent of your music so this is important).

dynamo127 said:
cheers for the replies so far

i am going to audition the leema. i've never 'auditioned' hifi equipment before - any tips?

also, what speakers would link well with the leema - i listen to mainly guitar music (wide taste) in 4x5m room

thanks

What source and speakers do you currently have? The RS6s sound fabulous at all levels, but I would urge caution if you have a bright source, such as budget Cambridge...

Best advice to add to Chebby's suggestions is to get the dealer to advise on partnering the Leema.

A

Anonymous

Source at the moment is a NAD533 turntable but i hope to get a Rega RP3 soon - I seldom listen to CDs

A

Anonymous

i have an old pair of gale gold monitors - entry level stuff

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I was having the same trouble as you a couple of weeks back and posted on the forum and had lots of suggestions made and took the leap and went for the Leema pulse .had it 3 days now an upgrade from a Cyrus 6vs2.599 deal from sevenoakes.it has been the best descision I've made so far .it is an incredible amp and has got my acoustic energy aelite 3 speakers singing like my Cyrus couldn't .the detail in vocals has brought out new levels of emotion that I hadn't heard before.pianos, you can feel the keys being pressed and the hammers hitting.I could go on for ever.but I've got to :) get back to my newfound love of Ok computer .Radiohead.....just get one.

audiolab 8200 cd player source.

A

Anonymous

dynamo127 said:

as you have narrowed it down to 2 amps why not just demo them both with the turntable you want to get in the future with the music you listen to most, forget about whats half price and just trust your ears, whatever gives you most pleasure is the one to buy, if it means taking your speakers with you to demo it all then do it, or even better if you have a good dealer in your area get a home demo of the kit in question, this way you will get a true representation of what the equiptment sounds like in your listening enviroment, let us know how you get on...

damonster said:
I was having the same trouble as you a couple of weeks back and posted on the forum and had lots of suggestions made and took the leap and went for the Leema pulse .had it 3 days now an upgrade from a Cyrus 6vs2.599 deal from sevenoakes.it has been the best descision I've made so far .it is an incredible amp and has got my acoustic energy aelite 3 speakers singing like my Cyrus couldn't .the detail in vocals has brought out new levels of emotion that I hadn't heard before.pianos, you can feel the keys being pressed and the hammers hitting.I could go on for ever.but I've got to :) get back to my newfound love of Ok computer .Radiohead.....just get one.

I heard my Leema with Audiolab 8200 and PMC and Totem speakers. As as consequence I've no idea about AE speakers tonal qualities.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Leema Pulse, had it for about a month delivered here to Australia at half the cost of buying it locally and see its dropped some more again, love it, think it will remain for me for a long time yet!

A

Anonymous

ahhhhhh you guys!!!

i've still not purchased (due to waiting to receive a credit card to hammer) but i'd set my heart on brio as i have auditioned it and liked it. i'm now seriously thinking of going to demo leema - i didn't originally due to (bizarrely) seven oaks brighton didn't have a turntable but they did say i could take my own.

so thanks... I THOUGHT I'D FINALLY MADE A DECISION ON SOMETHING!!! :wall: :) :) :)

credit card will hopefully arrive tomorrow!!!! :pray:

dynamo127 said:
ahhhhhh you guys!!!

i've still not purchased (due to waiting to receive a credit card to hammer) but i'd set my heart on brio as i have auditioned it and liked it. i'm now seriously thinking of going to demo leema - i didn't originally due to (bizarrely) seven oaks brighton didn't have a turntable but they did say i could take my own.

so thanks... I THOUGHT I'D FINALLY MADE A DECISION ON SOMETHING!!! :wall: :) :) :)

credit card will hopefully arrive tomorrow!!!! :pray:

Can't comment on the Rega, but the Pulse is one hellava amp. I'm clearly biased but after two years of shop and home dems I've not heard a package as impressive as the Pulse.

A

Anonymous

are you a big vinyl listener PP - im pretty much exclusive

dynamo127 said:
are you a big vinyl listener PP - im pretty much exclusive

Yes, I love the SQ vinyl produces, although have to concede that records play second fiddle to CDs and radio - this is mainly due to limited space, unfortunately.

The Pulse, along with Arcam, Rotel and Rega produce some of the finest built-in phono stages within their respective price brackets.

A

Anonymous

cheers PP - i am going to demo the leema now and take my current turntable with me (nad533) but this will soon become a rega pr3. it was the rega synergy (is that the right term!) that drew me towards the brio

good to hear your enjoying your system :)

dynamo127 said:
cheers PP - i am going to demo the leema now and take my current turntable with me (nad533) but this will soon become a rega pr3. it was the rega synergy (is that the right term!) that drew me towards the brio

good to hear your enjoying your system :)

Yes, synergy is the correct word: I wouldn't worry too much about TT and amp synergy, as IMHO isn't as crucial as with other components (unless you partner a very bright amp with a lean, bright cartridge) and the Leema has a lovely organic presentation.

Good luck with dem BTW.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
damonster said:

I heard my Leema with Audiolab 8200 and PMC and Totem speakers. As as consequence I've no idea about AE speakers tonal qualities.

plastic penguin how did the audiolab setup sound with the PMC speakers? Also how did it compare with your current system ? The aelite speakers are very neutral souding which matches the audiolab well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts