Leema Pulse & MA RX1s

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audo used this leema and the kandy k2 for finetuning their RX- range.

They also used the new Onkyo line for AV duties.

So I think the RX1 will sound fine with the Leema.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:The question is more why Leema Pulse?

Well, following my recent demos I had been set on a Roksan K2 amp with the RX1 speakers. But minutes before I pulled the trigger my missus said "it's big and ugly and I don't want it in my living room". So I'm now having to regroup a bit.

I have arranged a blind test at a hifi store between the Arcam Solo Neo (thumbs up from Mrs RJT, esp because it's 1 box), the Leema (borderline thumbs up), the Roksan K2 (thumbs down) - plus possibly the Primare or AudioLab. I liked the RX1s with the Roksan and they look good, so ideally I'd like to stick to them. Ultimately the missus has conceded that if we do a blind test we should buy whatever sounds the best - but on the condition that prettier amps are included in the mix! (she really is a sweetie - so I don't mind)

A

Anonymous

JohnnyLion:

Monitor Audo used this leema and the kandy k2 for finetuning their RX- range.

They also used the new Onkyo line for AV duties.

So I think the RX1 will sound fine with the Leema.

Thanks for the info. I have heard the Pulse is a little lean and was hoping this might suit the traditionally warmish MA sound.

RJT:

Well, following my recent demos I had been set on a Roksan K2 amp with the RX1 speakers. But minutes before I pulled the trigger my missus said "it's big and ugly and I don't want it in my living room". So I'm now having to regroup a bit.

I have arranged a blind test at a hifi store between the Arcam Solo Neo (thumbs up from Mrs RJT, esp because it's 1 box), the Leema (borderline thumbs up), the Roksan K2 (thumbs down) - plus possibly the Primare or AudioLab. I liked the RX1s with the Roksan and they look good, so ideally I'd like to stick to them. Ultimately the missus has conceded that if we do a blind test we should buy whatever sounds the best - but on the condition that prettier amps are included in the mix! (she really is a sweetie - so I don't mind)

Well, the Leema will get the best out of the RX1 but not other way round. It should sound fine, but I know from personal experience the Leema needs excellent partnering equipment.

The Leema isn't lean sounding and it's pretty organnic, even warmish. It should trounce the Solo and Roksan K2 or any amp below a grand (with the correct speakers).

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:RJT:

Well, the Leema will get the best out of the RX1 but not other way round. It should sound fine, but I know from personal experience the Leema needs excellent partnering equipment.

The Leema isn't lean sounding and it's pretty organnic, even warmish. It should trounce the Solo and Roksan K2 or any amp below a grand (with the correct speakers).

Would those 'correct speakers' include Leema Xeros or Xones?

RJT:plastic penguin:RJT:

Would those 'correct speakers' include Leema Xeros or Xones?

I would say the Xones are a better speaker, given they originally retailed, about 3 years ago, at about £1,700. As I said before the Pulse is slightly trickier to system match. Don't dismiss MA GS10, PMC DB1is (all these speakers will be a step or two up from the RX1s).

A

Anonymous

If the Pulse sounds promising, I'll try to demo with a range of speakers as you suggest.

Thanks

RJT:

If the Pulse sounds promising, I'll try to demo with a range of speakers as you suggest.

Thanks

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi all

I had a great time blind testing the following today with MA GS10 & RX1 speakers:

1) Marantz MCR603
2) AudioLab 8200CD & 8200A
3) Arcam Solo Neo
4) Leema Pulse

Blind Test Process:
- We listened to the same 3 tracks on each amp. 1 rock, 1 classical and 1 acoustic track.
- The dealer switched the tracks and amps for us. All equipment was hidden behind a barrier except for the speakers.
- I had pre-prepared amp scoring sheets to score each amp on 8 sonic characteristics.
- 3 friends & I ranked each of the amps for each track independently without consulting each other throughout.
- We consolidated the results before we revealed which amp was which.

The results:
1) The Leema was the best - a unanimous decision. Better on almost every dimension - esp dynamics and sparkle.
2) Surprisingly, the Arcam was second for 3 of the 4 listeners. Remarkably competent for an all-in-one box. It didn't quite have the sound stage (and what I can only describe as 'engagement') of the Leema. But it wasn't a million miles away either.
3) Third was the Marantz. It sounded fine. But in the shadow of the Leema and Arcam for 3 of us, 1 person rated the Marantz 2nd.
4) Shockingly, the AudioLab combo was not good. All listeners were unanimous in condemnation (remember the test was blind with no discussion). It was harsh and not pleasing to listen to compared to the other 3. This result really doesn't make sense to me considering the reputation of AudioLab and the reviews for the CD player. Actually, I'm so surprised I wonder if the dealer accidentally mixed up the Marantz and the AudioLab when he revealed which amp was which.... Or perhaps the MA speakers are a bad match for AudioLab.... In any case, it didn't matter because the Leema and Arcam were better than both.

Finally, I tried the RX1s and the GS10s and preferred the RX1s with the Leema (another surprising and unanimous result). The dealer said this wasn't so surprising because a lot of the GS10 technology has now filtered down to the RX1s. I also tried the Leema Xones with the Leema Pulse and they were good, but we all still preferred the RX1s.

So job done! I'm the proud owner of a Leema Pulse, rDac, and RX1s.

Thanks for all the support folks!

RJT:

Hi all

I had a great time blind testing the following today with MA GS10 & RX1 speakers:

1) Marantz MCR603
2) AudioLab 8200CD & 8200A
3) Arcam Solo Neo
4) Leema Pulse

Blind Test Process:
- We listened to the same 3 tracks on each amp. 1 rock, 1 classical and 1 acoustic track.
- The dealer switched the tracks and amps for us. All equipment was hidden behind a barrier except for the speakers.
- I had pre-prepared amp scoring sheets to score each amp on 8 sonic characteristics.
- 3 friends & I ranked each of the amps for each track independently without consulting each other throughout.
- We consolidated the results before we revealed which amp was which.

The results:
1) The Leema was the best - a unanimous decision. Better on almost every dimension - esp dynamics and sparkle.
2) Surprisingly, the Arcam was second for 3 of the 4 listeners. Remarkably competent for an all-in-one box. It didn't quite have the sound stage (and what I can only describe as 'engagement') of the Leema. But it wasn't a million miles away either.
3) Third was the Marantz. It sounded fine. But in the shadow of the Leema and Arcam for 3 of us, 1 person rated the Marantz 2nd.
4) Shockingly, the AudioLab combo was not good. All listeners were unanimous in condemnation (remember the test was blind with no discussion). It was harsh and not pleasing to listen to compared to the other 3. This result really doesn't make sense to me considering the reputation of AudioLab and the reviews for the CD player. Actually, I'm so surprised I wonder if the dealer accidentally mixed up the Marantz and the AudioLab when he revealed which amp was which.... Or perhaps the MA speakers are a bad match for AudioLab.... In any case, it didn't matter because the Leema and Arcam were better than both.

Finally, I tried the RX1s and the GS10s and preferred the RX1s with the Leema (another surprising and unanimous result). The dealer said this wasn't so surprising because a lot of the GS10 technology has now filtered down to the RX1s. I also tried the Leema Xones with the Leema Pulse and they were good, but we all still preferred the RX1s.

So job done! I'm the proud owner of a Leema Pulse, rDac, and RX1s.

Thanks for all the support folks!

Firstly, well done...

Secondly, I'm not surprised by the Arcam scoring so highly - I've always been adament that Arcam gear (not all) is some of the best around. However, with a lot of some posters Arcam seems to be a by-word for rubbish.

How did you find the Leema's presentation?

A

Anonymous

The dynamics and the detail of the Leema were great. In the soft sections of Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto 3rd mvt the piano and violins sounded delicate yet energetic while the emotion, power and instrument separation of the crescendos were very involving. Paramore's 'When it rains' really kicked - brought a smile to my face and a strong desire to move my body in some way to the music. Newton Faulkner's 'to the light' sounded more natural and live than the competition, and again, a stronger desire to tap my toes to the music than the other amps.

At the end we circled back to play some Eagles tracks on both the Leema and Arcam - just to double check the decision. I find it hard to put into words, but there was a special magic in the Leema amp that the Arcam couldn't match. A 'grin' factor. Somehow it just felt more live and involving - which for me is probably the most important characteristic.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

I didn't find the Leema to be lean at all - which I had read on the Internet in a few places. It was so nicely neutral Goldilocks would have approved. I also found the Leema to be a good balance between the Arcam FMJ 'laid back-ness' and the Cyrus 'in your face'. A major learning for me through this experience has been that speakers make a massive difference. Different speakers, even at the same price point, can make a good amp sound great or really bad. I guess I knew this in theory before, but it never really hit home until now.

PP: I also notice that you didn't like the Leema with the rDac. I've just bought a rDac and I'm hoping for the best really (delivered this Tue). I spent so much time getting the amp and speakers right that I figured I will try a rDac and if it doesn't work out I'll pop it on Fleabay and try another. Any thoughts on your experience...?

RJT:plastic penguin:

I didn't find the Leema to be lean at all - which I had read on the Internet in a few places. It was so nicely neutral Goldilocks would have approved. I also found the Leema to be a good balance between the Arcam FMJ 'laid back-ness' and the Cyrus 'in your face'. A major learning for me through this experience has been that speakers make a massive difference. Different speakers, even at the same price point, can make a good amp sound great or really bad. I guess I knew this in theory before, but it never really hit home until now.

PP: I also notice that you didn't like the Leema with the rDac. I've just bought a rDac and I'm hoping for the best really (delivered this Tue). I spent so much time getting the amp and speakers right that I figured I will try a rDac and if it doesn't work out I'll pop it on Fleabay and try another. Any thoughts on your experience...?

I've never heard the Leema with any DAC as yet.

A

Anonymous

Oh, sorry. I got my wires crossed when reading another of your posts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts