Leema Elements DAC - 3 star review in WHF

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

I was taking an interest in the Leema Elements DAC following some favourable comments in other threads and forums. This review sounds like a bit of a killer:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-elements-dac

I would be interested to know what other people think about this and the other products in the Leema Elemenst range.

In particular, I'd like to hear opinions on the the Leema Elements integrated amp & DAC combo. Is the DAC in this any good?

Bye for now & regards,

LJ

T

the record spot

Think this highlights that different reviewers have different opinions. I wouldn't put WHF's above the rest (caveat: depending on which other reviews you've read, magazine/online title, or one or two user opinions that latter will have access to much less a range of gear on which to base an opinion).

Have a listen, see what you think and be happy in your choice whichever one you make. You have to live with it in the end.

Mod - Signature edited to remove the Google logo.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Declaration of conflict of interest: long-term Leema Acoustics owner.

Source: iMac running PureMusic with Apple Lossless and FLAC files connected via USB.

I've had this DAC for around 6 months and I'm really struggling to agree with any of the criticisms to do with the sound levelled in the review. I've been very happy with the precise, broad soundstage that it gives in my room. I've gone back to it this evening and listened critically to try and see what the reviewer means.

In order to try and hear the timing and lack of cohesion problems described, I listened to "Bloom" by Radiohead and a variety of Bellowhead songs (as they have such a huge band with a variety of different instruments). Seemed cohesive with no jumbling of the instruments.

For the depth, control and weight of bass, I listened to "Evil Twin" by Modeselektor (as it has been recommended by David from Frank Harvey as a good test for digging out deep bass) and a variety of songs from the Tron Reconfigured album. Again, there seemed to be weighty, deep, controlled bass.

I do agree with some of the criticisms raised around build quality. The menus could be clearer and the remote is really cheap looking. Maybe a metal one to match the kit in the future?

I believe the DAC in the integrated amp is lower specced (especially around the USB connection). However, it was well received in combination with the CD player in a recent Hifi News review. I think this is a real case of having to audition the kit to make your mind up. The Elements range is getting good press elsewhere and it would be shame for it to be ignored based on this review.

Longjohn said:
Dear all,

I was taking an interest in the Leema Elements DAC following some favourable comments in other threads and forums. This review sounds like a bit of a killer:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-elements-dac

I would be interested to know what other people think about this and the other products in the Leema Elemenst range.

In particular, I'd like to hear opinions on the the Leema Elements integrated amp & DAC combo. Is the DAC in this any good?

Bye for now & regards,

LJ

Not had the privilege of hearing the Elements range. Certainly WHFI? criticised the Pulse MKII for having lean bass. This is true when compared side-by-side with some price-compatible amps, although not by much. In isolation, however, this ever-so-slight downshift in bass isn't detectable...

As the others have stated, you need to hear one for yourself and decide.

Remember, WHFI test all their stuff in multi-million pound designer rooms, not in an average front room.

SteveR750

ISAC69 said:
Hi

As advise above by other you have to demo it and make your own conclusion .

Just to make a notice there is an excellent review on the CA DAC MAGIG 5 stars was given by WHF and I can say once I compared this dac to others it is a lousy DAC .

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-dacmagic

But to temper your observation that from your other posts, your streaming source is far from set up ideally.

Apart from that, your fundamental point is valid, we all have a different response to things, and what a reviewer might find fantastic, others may find otherwise (I'm having this experience with the NAD digi dacamp), and of course vice versa.

TRENDING THREADS