Leema Acoustics - any love?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
insider9 said:
Some would say CDO

And if you don't know what CDO is. That's OCD... but in the correct order *biggrin*

This is my space (picture taken from 2012 on 'My System' section). They are, in the picture about 18" from the wall. So although the RS6s, now TB2is look too close to the cabinet, the rest of the room size counters that.

7567327524_94ea61e3d4_n.jpg

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Diamond Joe

If you’re still interested in having a look/listen to the Tucana MK2 Anniversary Edition then please contact me accordingly and i’ll try and facilitate this *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thanks Rick, I'd only ask for a home demo if I was in the last stages of buying a new amp, and I'm a looong way off that. However, if I'm ever up in Derby I think I'll give you a call before I get there... *biggrin*

plastic penguin said:
nopiano said:
I like the idea of the company, their background and provenance. Unfortunately, on the three occasions I’ve heard them, only a the Bristol shows, though they select a room on the top floor away from everyone else, I’ve never actually liked what I heard.

I’d look at ATC electronics if you want British made quality, though dealers are quite thin on the ground.

No doubt, nopiano, it was an all Leema set-up. This is where my logic and reasoning stops. I've never heard their CDPs, streamers or speakers.

Leema CDPs and speakers have always had mixed reviews from this mag and other hi-fi reads. Based on that, can't comment either way.
Ironically, at this year’s show, which I missed, they used ATC speakers. I’ve seen the pictures in a couple of mags. And here (scroll down for Leema pics) http://hifipig.com/bristol-sound-and-vision-2018-show-report-part-1/

As you know, there is often sharing around of kit at shows, so everyone gets a chance to show off their stuff. (The chap I bought my Marantz SACD player from had also got a Leema cd player which he evidently preferred.)

I like the idea of the company, their background and provenance. Unfortunately, on the three occasions I’ve heard them, only at the Bristol shows, though they select a room on the top floor away from everyone else, I’ve never actually liked what I heard.

I’d look at ATC electronics if you want British made quality, though dealers are quite thin on the ground.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
plastic penguin said:
nopiano said:
I like the idea of the company, their background and provenance.  Unfortunately, on the three occasions I’ve heard them, only a the Bristol shows, though they select a room on the top floor away from everyone else, I’ve never actually liked what I heard. 

I’d look at ATC electronics if you want British made quality, though dealers are quite thin on the ground. 

No doubt, nopiano, it was an all Leema set-up. This is where my logic and reasoning stops. I've never heard their CDPs, streamers or speakers. 

Leema CDPs and speakers have always had mixed reviews from this mag and other hi-fi reads. Based on that, can't comment either way.
Ironically, at this year’s show, which I missed, they used ATC speakers.  I’ve seen the pictures in a couple of mags.  And here (scroll down for Leema pics) http://hifipig.com/bristol-sound-and-vision-2018-show-report-part-1/

As you know, there is often sharing around of kit at shows, so everyone gets a chance to show off their stuff.  (The chap I bought my Marantz SACD player from had also got a Leema cd player which he evidently preferred.)

Don't those ATC look good?

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
plastic penguin said:
nopiano said:
I like the idea of the company, their background and provenance. Unfortunately, on the three occasions I’ve heard them, only a the Bristol shows, though they select a room on the top floor away from everyone else, I’ve never actually liked what I heard.

Ironically, at this year’s show, which I missed, they used ATC speakers. I’ve seen the pictures in a couple of mags. And here (scroll down for Leema pics) http://hifipig.com/bristol-sound-and-vision-2018-show-report-part-1/

As you know, there is often sharing around of kit at shows, so everyone gets a chance to show off their stuff. (The chap I bought my Marantz SACD player from had also got a Leema cd player which he evidently preferred.)

Don't those ATC look good?
:)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Some really tasty kit on show there. But seriously what is it with all these hugely expensive amps and speakers demo'd on the end of turntables in nearly every case. Not just that show, but most of them. Ok some of the TT's themselves were being demo'd, which is obviously fair enough, I get it. But when the emphasis is on showing what the amps and speakers are made of, where are all the world-class digital sources that will properly separate the men from the boys.

MajorFubar said:
Some really tasty kit on show there. But seriously what is it with all these hugely expensive amps and speakers demo'd on the end of turntables in nearly every case. Not just that show, but most of them. Ok some of the TT's themselves were being demo'd, which is obviously fair enough, I get it. But when the emphasis is on showing what the amps and speakers are made of, where are all the world-class digital sources that will properly separate the men from the boys.
Haven’t you heard? Expensive digital makes no difference... :)

I remember a place I worked at early 2000s. There was always a system playing on the shop floor. We noticed that if a CD was playing on the system, it was nigh on invisible to people, but when a record was playing, it got more attention - and before anyone says it, it wasn’t a visual thing.

I think it comes down to expectations too. People expect digital to sound clean, crisp, and noise free. Whether it sounds involving or not is another matter, but when a turntable is playing, people expect clicks and pops from such an antiquated source, as they’re probably used to hearing their cousin Gerald’s battered old plastic Aiwa deck from 1986. When they walk in and hear no clicks and pops, a silent background, and a nice three dimensional image filling the room, they’re impressed. Expectations.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Realised I came across as anti-vinyl which couldn't be further from my true feelings, but come on. Dynamic range = worse. Channel separation = worse. Frequency response = worse. Really can't do sub-bass. Show some of these £20k amps and speakers a 1984 Telarc CD and let's see how they cope.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Andrewjvt said:

Never even gave it a thought myself though. Turn tables just an unnecessary faff imo And a waste of money also.

MajorFubar said:
Realised I came across as anti-vinyl which couldn't be further from my true feelings, but come on. Dynamic range = worse. Channel separation = worse. Frequency response = worse. Really can't do sub-bass. Show some of these £20k amps and speakers a 1984 Telarc CD and let's see how they cope.
But to the average couple walking into a demo room at a hi-fi show, do any of those aspects matter? Are they going to specifically focus on them? They’re listening to the ‘whole’, and at very worse, tonal balance, rather than oddball specifics like channel separation :)

Sub bass could actually make the system sound worse, depending on the room...

I think you could do with hearing the Technics SL-1000R :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
But to the average couple walking into a demo room at a hi-fi show, do any of those aspects matter? Are they going to specifically focus on them? They’re listening to the ‘whole’, and at very worse, tonal balance, rather than oddball specifics like channel separation :)

Dunno really, it depends how average a couple is who eyes-up £20k+ worth of hifi equipment. If a manufacturer is specifically trying to demo their amp or speakers that cost the same as a new car, they'd be better off choosing a source which doesn't potentially compromise their abilities. And I realise I'm treading on rocky ground by insinuating turntables could be the weakest link in a high-end demo and aren't exploiting the potential of top-tier amps and speakers, but hey.

Diamond Joe said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Diamond Joe

If you’re still interested in having a look/listen to the Tucana MK2 Anniversary Edition then please contact me accordingly and i’ll try and facilitate this *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thanks Rick, I'd only ask for a home demo if I was in the last stages of buying a new amp, and I'm a looong way off that. However, if I'm ever up in Derby I think I'll give you a call before I get there... *biggrin*

Hi Diamond Joe

You’re welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
MajorFubar said:
Haven’t you heard? Expensive digital makes no difference... :)

I remember a place I worked at early 2000s. There was always a system playing on the shop floor. We noticed that if a CD was playing on the system, it was nigh on invisible to people, but when a record was playing, it got more attention - and before anyone says it, it wasn’t a visual thing.

I think it comes down to expectations too. People expect digital to sound clean, crisp, and noise free. Whether it sounds involving or not is another matter, but when a turntable is playing, people expect clicks and pops from such an antiquated source, as they’re probably used to hearing their cousin Gerald’s battered old plastic Aiwa deck from 1986. When they walk in and hear no clicks and pops, a silent background, and a nice three dimensional image filling the room, they’re impressed. Expectations.

Are you saying if you pay enough for a TT, you won't hear those pops and clicks?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I once said that if they make their stuff as good as their speakers ( and I really think they do ) than these guys from Leema are kinda sound heroes in their own sense...Everyone who is planning to buy a stereo system should listen OBLIGATORY to Cyrus amp with Leema speakers.

insider9

stereoman said:
I once said that if they make their stuff as good as their speakers ( and I really think they do ) than these guys from Leema are kinda sound heroes in their own sense...Everyone who is planning to buy a stereo system should listen OBLIGATORY to Cyrus amp with Leema speakers.
You may find my other thread quite interesting :)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
stereoman said:

Thanks. They bought a piece of my music heart and everything that connects to Leema Acoustics I will try to follow... :)

insider9

stereoman said:
insider9 said:
stereoman said:

Thanks. They bought a piece of my music heart and everything that connects to Leema Acoustics I will try to follow... :)
That's a serious statement. Nice one Stereoman.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rick offered to me to try the Tucana after you have finished with it (but will you? ;-) )

I politely declined. As tempting as it is, I could not afford one. To then go back to my lowly Schmegel would be ... difficult me thinks. :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Rick offered to me to try the Tucana after you have finished with it (but will you? ;-) )

I politely declined. As tempting as it is, I could not afford one. To then go back to my lowly Schmegel would be ... difficult me thinks. :)

Why don't you buy the h190 for only £800
I've seen quoted on this forum only a day or 2 ago?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts