Leema Acoustics - any love?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I like smaller brands, that you can ring up and speak to one of the team who designed it...the customer service is inclined to much better more personal.

I would expect Hegel and Leema to have cetain similarities..powerful, detailed, energetic, controlled, with a good balance between neutral and musical.

Glad to see you are embracing your inner audiophile.

insider9

I agree, I too favour the less known brands and smaller companies.

From what I've read there should be sonic similarities between the two. What they are exactly we'll have to wait.

Well... with warmup done I'm going to find out :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

From what I've read there should be sonic similarities between the two. What they are exactly we'll have to wait.

Putting my neck on the line, I would expect the Hegel to to be (very) slightly more Leaner and Cleaner than the Leema (rhyming alert)...and the Leema to be more lively and more fun and a smidgeon warmer....but they should be on the same side of the pitch (pun alert!!).

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

Putting my neck on the line, I would expect the Hegel to to be (very) slightly more Leaner and Cleaner than the Leema (rhyming alert)...and the Leema to be more lively and more fun and a smidgeon warmer....but they should be on the same side of the pitch (pun alert!!).
Early signs suggest Leema is more nuetral. With a more open treble.

However I have goosebumps, goosebumps all over my body.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

Excellent, that's as it should be...though you would need to compare the price equivalent Hegel Amp, especially as the Tucana is so competent.

insider9

Yes, absolutely. Can't compare it to Rost as Leema is over twice the price. But that's not really why I wanted to listen to one. Was really curious how my speakers would react to this level of amplification. Plus I learn a lot this way.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Yes, absolutely. Can't compare it to Rost as Leema is over twice the price. But that's not really why I wanted to listen to one. Was really curious how my speakers would react to this level of amplification. Plus I learn a lot this way.

Hearing what really good speakers are capabale of when driven by a very capable amp, should only be done if you are prepared to buy it...as the effects can be quite startling.

I also applaud your approach, as (imo) experiencing for yourself is by far the best approach - and once heard, never forgotten.

insider9

In fairness been doing this for the last 2 years. However didn't write about most gear as it was much lower level and there was so much of it. Just amps gone through about 20 or so and there were speakers too :) Just buying them listening for a while and selling on.

Would have to have seriously deep pockets to do it with this quality gear.

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

Excellent, that's as it should be...though you would need to compare the price equivalent Hegel Amp, especially as the Tucana is so competent.

Indeed. From personal experience it just gets better the longer you have it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Tell you one thing... It's loud, seriously powerful. Even with DSP if I get over 9 o'clock it's loud. Love it loud but my ears took a beating today so have to give them a rest.

Powerful to start with, and power keeps doubling as impedance halves, all the way to 520W at 2 ohms. That is an achievement in itself.

insider9

It just oozes quality but I wanted to get to know it too quickly I guess. Will have to be more careful with the volume the next few days. Done a fair amount of listening today just a little too loud.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Looks a good amp
I know where you are heading as no amp/passive speakers is going to satisfy you in the end.

You are heading towards a good quality pair of actives..
Even if you don't know yet.

Btw I really like leema amps

insider9

Haha, I'm not going anywhere with this. The loan is only so I can listen to the amp. I don't plan on buying it or anything else right now. I was honest with Rick so there's no misunderstanding. He was happy to do it. And I'm very grateful.

The only actives speakers I'd consider is the ones I've got but converted to active. And that would be costly.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Haha, I'm not going anywhere with this. The loan is only so I can listen to the amp. I don't plan on buying it or anything else right now. I was honest with Rick so there's no misunderstanding. He was happy to do it. And I'm very grateful.

The only actives speakers I'd consider is the ones I've got but converted to active. And that would be costly.

Ok but much more interested in comparative 'proper' tests between digital transports atm.

Love to see your home made v posh digital transport into a separate dac

Measurements and blind
None of this listen to how good it sounds.

Why don't you try borrow one?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:

He's a good chap.

I can't somehow see the point though if you have no intention to buy it. - It's like a tease and perhaps will make going back to to your amp difficult.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
It is a loan. Like I said earlier I'm a curious individual.

At this point I should credit Rick at Musicraft who offered to do it Many thanks Rick.
Nice. Shame Rick's a bit too far from me, I'd like a loan for a short while, mind you I fear I'd fall in love with it and raid my piggy back!! *biggrin*

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

Ok but much more interested in comparative 'proper' tests between digital transports atm.

Love to see your home made v posh digital transport into a separate dac

Measurements and blind
None of this listen to how good it sounds.

Why don't you try borrow one?
No doubt, it would be interesting. More interesting reading about than doing :) If I'm honest blind testing isn't something I'd want to do myself. I really don't care for such small differences. Cause if there's something substantial you will hear it. Measurements and listening I'm very happy to. Listening over extended time period. Particularly if you do it in the room and via another component (speakers) you know.

I don't rule out streamer comparison in the future if another dealer fancies sending me one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts