Leaving the lid on when playing

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Again,

Can I just ask - is it recommended to leave the lid down or open whilst playing LPs on a TT? Does it make a difference to the sound at all? So far, I've always put the lid down when the TT is playing...

Thanks.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I either remove mine or at least leave it up...never play LP's with it closed.

Once again some people will say leave it up because having it closed can taint the music...others will say close it to stop dust falling onto the LP.

Me.....well I leave it open because I like to watch the LP go round and round and round :)

A

Anonymous

Ah thanks, Jason! My TT will let me remove the lid completely, so I guess this is the best move. I actually thought I was supposed to leave the lid on! Does it affect vibrations or something?

Wow, this vinyl lark is really quite complicated, but fun, all the same! :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
Ah thanks, Jason! My TT will let me remove the lid completely, so I guess this is the best move. I actually thought I was supposed to leave the lid on! Does it affect vibrations or something?

Not really sure personally Lambda, I know that some people leave the lid up because they say that if it is down it acts a bit like a bass trap. I think the main reason for leaving it down is just purely to stop dust and debris falling on the record.

If you look at plenty of turntables they dont come with hinged lids...just a box you place over and remove when you are playing records...or nothing at all i.e. Michell Gyro.

I would try it up and down and see if you can hear any difference and do what you want to do.......no worng or right really mate:)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:

If your anything like me, part of the fun of HiFi and specifically turntables is learning what is best and how to tweak your deck to get the most out of it......as I said no right or wrong answers on some things just do what sounds best to your ears :) and enjoy the music

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I've found on the Debut that it sounds better with the lid off.

Folks on another forum recommend this
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies! Tried it with the lid off today and it's hard to tell the difference, to be honest! Having the lid off does make it easier to change sides, etc. though, so that seems like a positive.

I've noticed on 1 or 2 of my records that sometimes the vocals can sound sightly distorted. Not sure if this is just the quality of the vinyl recording/pressing or what. It happened this morning on 1 or 2 tracks of a pink floyd album. After that I played some Van Halen at it sounded cristal clear. Hopefully it's just a dodgy vinyl copy...

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
I've noticed on 1 or 2 of my records that sometimes the vocals can sound sightly distorted. Not sure if this is just the quality of the vinyl recording/pressing or what. It happened this morning on 1 or 2 tracks of a pink floyd album. After that I played some Van Halen at it sounded cristal clear. Hopefully it's just a dodgy vinyl copy...

I have a debut 3 - and get the same type of thing sometimes - I wonder if changing my stylus from OM10 to OM20 would help

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
lambda said:
Thanks for the replies! Tried it with the lid off today and it's hard to tell the difference, to be honest! Having the lid off does make it easier to change sides, etc. though, so that seems like a positive.

If your needle was clean, it sounds like a worn stylus. If you can, try a new stylus or a different cartridge with a new stylus.

A

Anonymous

Hi Lindsay,

I've no idea how to try a new stylus or cartridge! I'm very new to this game! :)

I've noticed the distortion happens on 2 of my records: Tanita Tikaram (always the same 2 tracks) and the last track on Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.

I've not really noticed it on other records, so it could just be worn out, or damaged, vinyl.

I think I'll try some more records before I think about changing the stylus/cartridge as that sounds like quite a complex thing to do!

Also, my TT isn't *quite* level. I live in a flat that was built about 150 years ago, so there isn't one floor that is level! lol. Could that affect it? My TT doesn't seem to have any facility to adjust the weight, so I guess it can't be that.

Thanks again.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
Hi Lindsay,

I've no idea how to try a new stylus or cartridge! I'm very new to this game! :)

I've noticed the distortion happens on 2 of my records: Tanita Tikaram (always the same 2 tracks) and the last track on Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.

I've not really noticed it on other records, so it could just be worn out, or damaged, vinyl.

I think I'll try some more records before I think about changing the stylus/cartridge as that sounds like quite a complex thing to do!

Also, my TT isn't *quite* level. I live in a flat that was built about 150 years ago, so there isn't one floor that is level! lol. Could that affect it? My TT doesn't seem to have any facility to adjust the weight, so I guess it can't be that.

Thanks again.

If your turntable isnt level then that well could cause problems with the tracking of your arm....not sure if it would only happen with some lp's though. You really need to try and get your turntable level on all dimensions as a first remedy and then see how that affects those LP's.

What is your turntable sat on? if its a unit can you no level the unit via pieces of card under the legs. Ideally you could probably do with a dedicated wall mounted shelf for your Turntable by the sounds of it.

Unfortunately I believe of all pieces of HiFi Equipment the Turntable is one you need to spend a bit of time ensuring its on a level and solid support....they are so critical of outside influences.

Did I read you are buying a dedicated HiFi stand if so then you may be able to ensure this is level by using the spikes on the bottom of the legs which allow for adjustment of uneven floors.

I would say getting the TT level is your first port of call before trying new cartridges or stylus'.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jason,

I recently just got back my hifi from my dad, which means I've not had to time to invest in a proper hifi rack yet; plus those things are *so* expensive! So my whole separates system is currently living on a table, stacked on top of each other, with the TT at the top. The whole thing is not level (due to the floors). Mounting a wall-mount stand is not an option as I am renting at the moment, and I don't want to start drilling the walls if I don't have to.

So, I think a hifi rack is probably the priority at the moment. I don't have a huge budget at the moment, and looking online and seeing hifi racks for 100 - 200 pounds just seems like a very expensive investment. I was think of looking on ebay for a second hand one perhaps. The adjustable floor spikes would be a perfect way of getting the thing level.

Perhaps the rack should be a priority over new vinyl, then! :)

Thanks again.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
lambda said:
So, I think a hifi rack is probably the priority at the moment. I don't have a huge budget at the moment, and looking online and seeing hifi racks for 100 - 200 pounds just seems like a very expensive investment. I was think of looking on ebay for a second hand one perhaps. The adjustable floor spikes would be a perfect way of getting the thing level.

Perhaps the rack should be a priority over new vinyl, then! :)

Thanks again.

It might seem an expensive investment but a very worthwhile one, especially for turntables, nonetheless. Get the right one for you and you'll get many years out of it.

Keep looking. I have a 5 shelf Optimum International 2000 hi-fi stand that retails new for over £300, but I picked that up last year off Ebay locally for £50. Try Gumtree too, you might get lucky.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i think rega reccomend leaving the lid closed ? i always do anyway.. we have an open fire in our living room so id be concerned about dust.. it only takes a few days for a fine layer of dust to build up around all my gear like the turntable/tv/tv stand etc

A

Anonymous

If I'm going to have to buy a rack, I'd rather get something half decent from the start, even if that means waiting another month due to saving. I generally don't see the point in buying something because it's cheap to then have to replace it due to it not being suitable!

Just been looking online, buying new seems to vary in price a lot, from 50 quid for a basic glass stand to 200 quid and up. I think I need something with spikes (that are adjustable for the height) and something with 3 shelves (although more would be better).

I'll keep looking on ebay, but the selection isn't huge on there at the moment. Especially with most people demanding a collection rather than posting it. :/

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What cartridge are you using Lambda?

If it's a moving magnet cartridge it should have a detachable stylus. In which case, you can just buy another stylus for that cartridge. The old one should pull off if you pull it firmly downwards and towards the front whilst gripping the back of the cartridge firmly.

If you're not sure how to do it, you can always post on a forum what part of the world you live in and ask if there are any forum members who'd be happy to pop round and replace your stylus or cartridge.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure which stylus it is! I *think* it's an OM5 cartridge (the default one supplied). Brand new the stylus seems to cost 40 quid... :/ I can confirm this tonight, though.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
If I'm going to have to buy a rack, I'd rather get something half decent from the start, even if that means waiting another month due to saving. I generally don't see the point in buying something because it's cheap to then have to replace it due to it not being suitable!

Just been looking online, buying new seems to vary in price a lot, from 50 quid for a basic glass stand to 200 quid and up. I think I need something with spikes (that are adjustable for the height) and something with 3 shelves (although more would be better).

I'll keep looking on ebay, but the selection isn't huge on there at the moment. Especially with most people demanding a collection rather than posting it. :/

Where abouts are you based?

I have a rack which is surplass to requirements at the moment so thinking of selling. Its a stands unique one...solid. It has wooden legs and adjustable shelves. it would take 3 pieces of equipment and Turntable on top. It also has spikes :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Jason,

Probably best we talk off the forums about this. I'm trying to PM you, but can't figure out how to do it!

A

Anonymous

HI Everyone,

I managed to buy a second hand hifi stand. A 1997 altacama model, costing me 30 quid :)

Picked it up this evening and set everything up. i made it as level as I possibly could. The spirit level shows the bubble within the lines so that'll do me, as I was ages adjusting the thing! :)

I have to say the rack and taking the lid off has made an improvement to the sound. Seems strange that a stand would do that, but the sound quality seems much tighter, less distortion, too.

Thanks for the advice! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts