Leaving my Chorus 806v

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

So I've been the proud owner of Focal Chorus 806v for the past 6 years and with my Marantz PM5004 they've been my first hifi set but..it just doesn't work anymore between them and I.

For the past couple month I've noticed a complete lack of excitement when listening to them. The sound IS nice : it is clear, well defined but the lack of warmth and the fact that they're not so envelopping is killing me and whenever I put the loudness mode ON on my amp, I feel like I'm listening to Beats (I'm exagerating a bit here but you get the idea: loudness give me more bass but flatens the music).

Near where I live there is no way to listen to speakers, really. The reseller in my city has limited choice and the said choice is mostly >2-3k€ speakers, a premium retailer if you prefer.

When I asked for advices, I was told that I could buy a pair of Klipsch RP 160m with my eyes closed. From reading tests, it seems like the B&W 685 s2 could fit my needs.

So as you can understand I'm in quite a tough situation, wanting to change speakers without being able to listen to them and not knowing much about various brands' audio signature. What would your recommandations be? Is there a fail-proof choice for what I'm looking for?

Thanks ! :)

TL;DR: ordered a NuPrime IDA-8, awesome amp, greatly improved the listening experience. I now know the amp was 40% of the problem but the speakers are still the 60 other percent and I will replace them when I can (or add a sub since their strong points is obviously the high/medium range)

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You could try Naim amplification. Meant to work well with Focal and would certainly up the excitement factor. The Nait 5si is a very punchy, exciting yet warm sounding amp.

matthewpiano

I think you are looking at ending the wrong relationship. Treat those Focals to a more suitable play mate and you might renew your former happiness.

The very smallest Marantz amps have never been very good, with exactly the sort of sound problem you describe. The step up from PM-5xxx series to PM-6xxx has always been much more significant than you'd expect. Changing speakers to B&Ws, for example, still isn't going to solve your main issues.

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the answers :)

We just hit one of the thing that has been bothering me for the past weeks during my researches: reviews. When I first bought my PM5004, I bought it because it had earned a major reward here in France.

It makes me quite confused because I don't know who I should trust and sound is so subjective it doesn't make things easier really. But to be honest the fact that you both told me at the exact same time to change my amp makes me think about it.

While the 1500€ Naim is a bit expensive to me, I could completely go for a PM7005 (740€) but I don't have any attachment to Marantz so maybe there are better alternatives? I wouldn't want to get stuck with an amp that is a good match with only a handful of brands (don't know if I'm being clear)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tricky this one.

I too think that the Chorus are a couple of steps above your Marantz bottom of range amplifier.

Still, if the tonality of the Focals don't suit, not many lower priced (but better) amplifiers than your 5004 will change that.

Listen to both alternatives, different amp and different speakers but if you want to keep one, I'd certainly keep the Focals as it should not be difficult to improve on the amplifier.

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
That is something I should have been more transparent about: in the end, I don't really want to keep anything, I just want something that I will have no regret siting in front of. If changing my Chorus can make me "go wow" again when listening to music, then so be it. But anyway you guys are right, my amp is really in the lower range and no matter what it will need replacement.

However can I safely change my amp not knowing exactly what brand/speakers I will pair it with? (I might or might not keep the Chorus in the upcoming months)

What I mean is: do amplifiers influence the speakers' sound mostly by their quality (low-end/medium/premium amp) or by their "personality"?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, amplifiers have 'house' sounds even if TrevC seems to be in denial.

Cheaper Marantz's in particular have always have had a flavor of 'valves', at least the midrange at the expense of frequency extremes so if you like 'warm and enveloping' it is not a bad choice imho, perhaps move up the range. Rega and cyrus are more detailed, propulsive and even, Naim more punchy (certainly not warm and enveloping but very musical imo), broadly speaking.

As to speakers I have not heard your Focals but they seem to get decent write-ups so I'd may hold fire on that as improving it may be more difficult than the amplifier.

One speaker that continuously reviews as 'warm' amongst other things is QAcoustics Concept 20. I have a suspicion this is mostly due to a cost effective tweeter which probably has been toned down to flatter cheaper electronics but the end effect is said to be highly involving with many very satisfied punters.

Good luck on your quest

Regoma said:
That is something I should have been more transparent about: in the end, I don't really want to keep anything, I just want something that I will have no regret siting in front of. If changing my Chorus can make me "go wow" again when listening to music, then so be it. But anyway you guys are right, my amp is really in the lower range and no matter what it will need replacement.

However can I safely change my amp not knowing exactly what brand/speakers I will pair it with? (I might or might not keep the Chorus in the upcoming months)

What I mean is: do amplifiers influence the speakers' sound mostly by their quality (low-end/medium/premium amp) or by their "personality"?

Yes. Amps have their own 'house' sound, and a better amp will control the sound better. This'll result in a tighter more cohesive presentation.

However, if you are intent on ditching the Focals look at Usher S520, Dynaduio DM or Excite range, Dali or Monitor Audio Bronze series.

drummerman said:

Cheaper Marantz's in particular have always have had a flavor of 'valves', at least the midrange at the expense of frequency extremes so if you like 'warm and enveloping' it is not a bad choice imho, perhaps move up the range. Rega and cyrus are more detailed, propulsive and even, Naim more punchy (certainly not warm and enveloping but very musical imo), broadly speaking.

As to speakers I have not heard your Focals but they seem to get decent write-ups so I'd may hold fire on that as improving it may be more difficult than the amplifier.

One speaker that continuously reviews as 'warm' amongst other things is QAcoustics Concept 20. I have a suspicion this is mostly due to a cost effective tweeter which probably has been toned down to flatter cheaper electronics but the end effect is said to be highly involving with many very satisfied punters.

Good luck on your quest

Sorry, DM. I was typing as you posted and we seem to have the same opinion on amp presentation..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

Good luck on your quest

Sorry, DM. I was typing as you posted and we seem to have the same opinion on amp presentation..

No probs.

Can't help but to have a dig at the good fella.

He'll be along shortly.

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Ok so basically changing my amp will improve the rendering of my Chorus but if it doesn't improve the intended way or if the changes aren't significant enough, I might have bought the "wrong" amp and be stuck with certain brands, did I get it right?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Regoma said:
Ok so basically changing my amp will improve the rendering of my Chorus but if it doesn't improve the intended way or if the changes aren't significant enough, I might have bought the "wrong" amp and be stuck with certain brands, did I get it right?

It's all about synergy my dear

Regoma said:

That's why I said if you can't dem make sure the seller has a 'Returns' policy. Most reputable dealers give a 14 day returns.

BTW, why can't you go and dem hi-fi? Do you live in Outer Zanzibar?

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I live in a city where the only retailer is premium-oriented aaand I have no car so return policies are a bit tough when you need to cary a speaker package to your nearest post office :/

Seems like I'm a bit stuck here, my situation is worst than I first thought

Regoma said:
I live in a city where the only retailer is premium-oriented aaand I have no car so return policies are a bit tough when you need to cary a speaker package to your nearest post office :/

Do you not have couriers or taxi service? No need for a car. They deliver straight to your door. Likewise, if you return something call a courier company and they'll collect.

The problem with hi-fi is we don't know what sound will tug your rug. It is such a personal thing... one person's rib-eye steak is another's offal.

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Regoma said:

Do you not have couriers or taxi service? No need for a car. They deliver straight to your door. Likewise, if you return something call a courier company and they'll collect.

The problem with hi-fi is we don't know what sound will tug your rug. It is such a personal thing... one person's rib-eye steak is another's offal.

Delivery is fine, it's returning which gets a bit more complicated (plus I've just had a terrible experience with headphones I had to return 3 times so I'm a bit traumatized haha)

I found the Marantz PM7005 at 740€ (which looks nice on paper as it has a DAC, something that I'm missing in my setup).

I had a look at your suggestions for an amp but they're either out of stock or too expensive :/ Do you have any suggestion under 800-900€? Just looking for something punchy that can deliver decent bass (I have no affinity whatsoever for an excess of mediums, that's what I hear all day long on my Chorus *crazy*) and a good sense of space

Think in your situation I'd look at second hand. To that end Creek Evo2 is a punchy amp that has a crisp top end. Or look at Arcam DIVA A85.

Buying s/hand might not ideal but you'll get a bigger bang for your buck.

These are only suggestions as this hobby is so subjective.

Oie

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I am happy with my Focal and Abrahamsen. I listen mainly to jazz and classical music. You should be able to find some information about that amp on this forum. I believe you should get it delivered for less than 1000 euros.

And if in the future you decide to change your speakers, you should be able to happily keep your amp.

Regards

O

Regoma

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Couldn't find second hand after researching :( (or I'm ordering abroad and that's a no-no for used products)

So basically some good choices seem to be:

Arcam FMJ A19 - 850€

Looking at Whathifi's reviews the CA CXA60 is, while compared to the A19, described as offering "a far more exciting and competitive package"

Cambridge CXA60 -790€

The good: DAC + I can eventually buy and plug a subwoofer in it and let the Chorus do what they seem to excel at

The bad: DAC is optical-only meaning I need to spend another 30€ on any random PCI audio card to carry the signal to the amp, this card for example (22€)

Naim Nait 5si - 1510€

The good: to keep it short it's described as a beast on all the reviews

The bad: holy cow 1500€ *shok*

Any comments is welcome!

Edit:

Oie said:
I am happy with my Focal and Abrahamsen. I listen mainly to jazz and classical music. You should be able to find some information about that amp on this forum. I believe you should get it delivered for less than 1000 euros.

And if in the future you decide to change your speakers, you should be able to happily keep your amp.

Thanks for the input! However I think our musical tastes vastly differ :) I'm more into electronic music (not the clubbing type)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Regoma said:
Couldn't find second hand after researching :(   (or I'm ordering abroad and that's a no-no for used products)?

Arcam FMJ A19 - 850€

?

Looking at Whathifi's reviews the CA CXA60 is, while compared to the A19, described as offering "a far more exciting and competitive package"?

Cambridge CXA60 -790€

The good: DAC + I can eventually buy and plug a subwoofer in it and let the Chorus do what they seem to excel at

The bad: DAC is optical-only meaning I need to spend another 30€ on any random PCI audio card to carry the signal to the amp, this card for example (22€)

?

Naim Nait 5si - 1510€

The bad: holy cow 1500€ *shok*

?

Any comments is welcome!

Edit:

Oie said:

Thanks for the input! However I think our musical tastes vastly differ :) I'm more into electronic music (not the clubbing type)

Will play any genre equally well

rainsoothe

Regoma said:
Couldn't find second hand after researching :( (or I'm ordering abroad and that's a no-no for used products)

Arcam FMJ A19 - 850€

Looking at Whathifi's reviews the CA CXA60 is, while compared to the A19, described as offering "a far more exciting and competitive package"

Cambridge CXA60 -790€

Naim Nait 5si - 1510€

The bad: holy cow 1500€ *shok*

Any comments is welcome!

Edit:

Oie said:

If you can, give Naim a listen, you have to hear it to understand it (be it love or hate :) )

Also, the Focal Chorus range are pretty exciting sounding speakers. I really think the budget Marantz is to blame here.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You could consider a Rega Brio-r for your budget. Would still liven things up and is a very flexible amp for any future speaker changes.

TRENDING THREADS