Leave your amp on all the time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Would the last poster please hand write the thank you note to "mother nature" when we finally run out of fossil fuel and the lights go out, with no nuclear power stations, becuase someone was worried about what might happen to the waste. Shoot the damn stuff at the sun when we're done with it. Jeeees, this is a great thread, but lets try and progress people. You can't keep doing what you've been doing for the next 1000 years. There are 6bn of us now, which is waaaaay tooo many. And growing. So naturally, you should stop using your amplifier at all and drag the band out to your home for an unplugged set. Get the neighbours in and plant a tree to balance out the transport emmisions. Sorted ;-)

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Really? .....So what would my Onkyo 875 be likely to cost over a year if always left on? (given it runs pretty hot when playing music!)

A

Anonymous

jetjohnson:Really? .....So what would my Onkyo 875 be likely to cost over a year if always left on? (given it runs pretty hot when playing music!)

A hell of a lot. We had a dimplex heater running over most of the winter, and my god the bill was huge. Not happy! Class A amps left on is not wise for the wallet. My ears are more sympathetic when my wallet is in on the action.

idc

When all the amps go out we can dance under the light of the stars instead...........................

stars-in-night-sky-over-London-England-posterised-2-DHD.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:jetjohnson:Really? .....So what would my Onkyo 875 be likely to cost over a year if always left on? (given it runs pretty hot when playing music!)

A hell of a lot. We had a dimplex heater running over most of the winter, and my god the bill was huge. Not happy! Class A amps left on is not wise for the wallet. My ears are more sympathetic when my wallet is in on the action.Ouch !! a dimplex heater running through the winter? You were brave Will, ha Out of curiosity how much was your bill?

A

Anonymous

We share the flat between 3 of us and we each had to make an additional £170 contibution each to balance the bills over the last 6 months. We already pay £100 a month each for bills which cover everything from internet access to bin liners. But even so, in the past it has always balanced. This year energy prices went up and we had one, irritating, always at home, Masters student which is what pushed the heating bill through the roof. Not good.

A

Anonymous

I like the idea of a badge for less than 1w on standby. Let's go for half a watt and give them a tax break, or VAT break to the purchaser for buying one. Great plan!

A

Anonymous

I think I'm the pure embodiment of evil in terms of this thread. I leave my electronics on, I drive two gas guzzlers, use air con in my apartment all day and to top it off, Im an oil trader
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

There is no rhyme or reason for leaving electronics on the whole time. Would you leave a car running all the time? A car takes far longer to warm up.

matthewpiano

Cyril Mason:There is no rhyme or reason for leaving electronics on the whole time. Would you leave a car running all the time? A car takes far longer to warm up.

A very good point Cyril. Whats more, more damage is done to a car when it is cold, and yet people still rev like mad when they first set out in the mornings. I guess people just like buying new catalytic converters.

A

Anonymous

jase fox:jaxwired:jase, you need some more equipment in your bio...
emotion-3.gif
Yes your right i do, at this rate people will think i dont have much hehe

So how many Watts on Standy is that lot! Jase, think of the planet!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I have always switched off at night or holidays/days out etc.

Recently I got this Naim kit and my dealer tried to persuade me that my system will temporarily become a NAD if I switch it off overnight! (At least for the first couple of hours after switch on.)

Well I like NAD too so I have been switching off when it is unattended for a long time.

Can't say I have noticed anything amiss but my normal early morning fare is usually quiet radio for the first hour or two (I work from home 90 percent of the time) so by the time I crank it up a bit for music it is nicely warmed through.

Apart from energy savings there is always that remote possibility of a component failure causing overheating/fire etc lurking at the back of my mind. It is the habit of a lifetime to ensure that everything possible is turned off at night.

Chebby, I also recently got a Naim CD5i, and I have to admit, I was sceptical about needing to leave the thing on to warm up. However, I find with the CD player it sounds slightly odd when you first switch it on (I turn everything off when not being used too). Normally takes about 1/2 hour to warm up.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:Load of rubbish ! Its simple just do what i do & switch your amp on 20mins before you use it.

If amps were going through to much stress with switching on & off then the manufacturers would design them were you dont have to turn them off etc

And there would be a warning in the manual telling you its best to leave it on for longer life & so on.

Think I agree with you on this one Jase. On a seperate note - and meant in the best possible way. Dont suppose anyone has ever mentioned your WHF Forum photo looks a little like a member of a certain british rock band ?

A

Anonymous

I always leave my amp on 24/7 apart from holidays ect, it cost me about £12 per year and it what the manufacturers recommend, and they know slightly more about it than me

. After all light bulbs usually blow when they are switched on, enough said....................

A

Anonymous

MENISCUS:

. After all light bulbs usually blow when they are switched on, enough said....................

But OTOH they never blow when switched off.
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

thfcwestlower:I think I'm the pure embodiment of evil in terms of this thread. I leave my electronics on, I drive two gas guzzlers, use air con in my apartment all day and to top it off, Im an oil trader
emotion-14.gif

God, you're lucky to get to 360 posts on here muttering that kind of heresy!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
it keeps the output devices powered up or something, i assume that is the reason. i haven't measured it or anything, just what it says on moons website.

A

Anonymous

That's really irresponsible of Cyrus if it's true. Goes against your wallet and against the current flow towards near zero standby power consumption.

cyrus fan

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
heystak:Cyrus User Instructions Manual Page 3: "The mains power switch should be left on for normal operation, except when left unattended for a long period". I cant say whether this is good or bad advice but its there in black & white.

I think the "mains power switch" they refer to is the square switch on the back of the amp, not the front panel button.

A

Anonymous

If that's true then I can understand that advice. Seems sensible. But if it is in standby it should not be using 40+ watts. That is quite wrong. It's as if you'd left it switched on with no load.

A

Anonymous

Jaxwire!

As you know I have the same amp as you have: NAD C355BEE and I leave it on while I'm listening to music and on standby while I'm not. I never disconnect the amp on the switch on the back...

Before I had a Marantz amp and also used the standby position, never turned it off and had it for 10 years.

Maybe for leaving it always on and also on standby I have a humming coming from the toroidal transformer...

Jaxwire can you please put your hear against the upper part of the C355 metal case right above the toroid and listen if your C355 does this humming? do it in the silence and let me know this please. I don't know if your does this or not, mine does and maybe leaving it always on or on standy could lead to this? It does the humming on or on standy, the same noise.

Greetings,

J.Costa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts