Least expensive way to do iTunes and internet radio thru my system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First post here.

What I have:

MacBook 2008: cannot do Airplay (must be 2011 or newer)

NAD C326BEE integrated amp: analog inputs only

Focal Chorus 716s speakers

I will also be running my HDTV thru the amp via an inexpensive DAC.

What I want to do:

Play my iTunes playlists via the amp thru the speakers, preferably at near Lossless quality

Play internet radio via the amp thru the speakers

All this preferably wirelessly. Easy enough to hook up the computer wired via a little Behringer DAC to the amp, but then I can't use the computer. Would prefer not to have to turn on the TV to do just music, and Apple TV needs Airplay anyway.

I do not have an iOS device. I know of the Sonos Connect option, but that's more than I'd like to pay. Grace internet tuners seem to have lousy reviews re: the interface. There's the Touch/Airport Express option. Anything else that's reliable?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi ej88

The Pinnacle / Roku Soundbridge devices are reliable, quite inexpensive and I think do everything you need for music wirelessly. They're no longer available new but there are always a few on ebay. Roku also do a range of multimedia (audio / video) devices worth considering.

The Sony SMP-N100 & 200 devices will do audio & video . In my opinion the older 100 is better than the newer model. They don't do internet radio though, if I recall correctly.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ej88 said:
MacBook 2008: cannot do Airplay (must be 2011 or newer)

Who says?

I use AirPlay on our old iMac and it is six years old next month (last version of the white Intel models) and runs Snow Leopard.

You can't do AirPlay 'mirroring' on pre-2011 models, that's all. (Showing what's on your Mac screen on a television with AirPlay.)

As far as music (iTunes) is concerned it should be fine.

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. No reason why your 2008 MacBook won't play music thru AirTunes. I would look on an auction site for a secondhand Airport Express. Get a DAC with an optical input. Connect the two with a Toslink cable and then add the AE to your existing wireless network. You'll then be able to stream your iTunes library to your amp. If you want to add extra functionality get a cheap or secondhand iPod Touch and download the remote app. Add a radio app and this will function as a full remote control for this system. Depending on your choice of DAC this could come in for under £200.

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. No reason why your 2008 MacBook won't play music thru AirTunes. I would look on an auction site for a secondhand Airport Express. Get a DAC with an optical input. Connect the two with a Toslink cable and then add the AE to your existing wireless network. You'll then be able to stream your iTunes library to your amp. If you want to add extra functionality get a cheap or secondhand iPod Touch and download the remote app. Add a radio app and this will function as a full remote control for this system. Depending on your choice of DAC this could come in for under £200.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
antcg1 said:
Agreed. No reason why your 2008 MacBook won't play music thru AirTunes.

Not sure what all this 'AirTunes' business is. My six year old iMac is using AirPlay to my Marantz...

8449344791_ba9fbd5d54.jpg

... it says AirPlay so I assume it means AirPlay.

A

Anonymous

You all are correct. I called Apple Tech Service and got the correct information. I will need to upgrade to Snow Leopard to run Airplay, but then that should work fine to stream my iTunes via Airport Express.

The guy at the Apple store was wrong (or I misunderstood): 2011 or later MacBook is only needed to mirror my computer screen thru Apple TV.

TRENDING THREADS