LE40F86BDX - Best in the £1000 price range???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm so close to buying a TV and desperately want to get a Samsung LE40F86BDX but just wanted a few opinions first. Are these TVs the best ones you can get for this sort of money? The cheapest I have found it for is for £949.99 plus an extra 4% quidco off bringing it down to about £910. I've read reviews saying this is a fantastic TV but I was wondering if it is worth the extra money over buying an LE40M87BDX? The cheapest I can get this for is about £680. I know at the end of the day it's my decision to make but just wanted a few people's opinions on these models before I commit and whether or not there are better TVs around for that sort of money. My main concern is that I want 1080p full hd and a screen that handles motion superbly. I have seen some high end TVs in the shops and the judder on some of them is unbelieveable. Thanks in advance!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We gave the LE40M87 four stars when we tested it back in September last year, and while it has a sharp, clean, detailed picture we did feel motion handling could have been better. We haven't tested the LE40F86, although the larger LE46F86 is excellent and got 5 stars in our Jan 08 Group Test.

Given your budget, have you considered a 42in Panasonic plasma? The outgoing TH-42PZ70 is a superb Full HD set, and should easily be available for less than the £1400 we tested it at, if you can find one.

Alternatively, you might be interested in some of the new Panasonic 80 models as reported on here.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And if you want to stick with 40in (but have nearly all of that screen, rather than surround), try the Toshiba 40XF355D.

It's a Full HD 40in TV, including 24fps support, and a five-star rated set - in short, better than the 40in Samsung equivalent, and widely available for £900 or less....

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I did look at the Toshiba and at one point was going to buy that one but some reviews I have read said that light bled from the corners of the TV in dark scenes.

Have you reviewed this TV before? If so did you notice this problem at all?

A

Anonymous

Fair enough :)

Anyway I went ahead and bought the Sony KDLV3000 and at first was very impressed!!

HOWEVER, the bloke in the shop told me it had 100hz, I didn't think to check (stupid me) but it turns out it doesn't. I only realised after playing Fifa Street 3 on my 360 and the motion blur was awful, actually gave me a headache.

I'm going to watch Match of the Day 2 tonight and see how that goes but it looks like I'm going to be taking the TV back. It is a shame because apart from the lack of 100hz it's a fantastic TV.

I'm back to square one now. Not sure what to get as some reviews I've read say that some TVs are better with the 100hz turned off. Ahhh!!!

A

Anonymous

I've decided against returning the TV after watching MOTD. The motion handling isn't that bad on real football, just terrible on the fifa street game, not sure why :S

If anyone gets a chance to try this game out let me know if you experience the same problems.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Still think it's sad you're willing to settle for 'not that bad' as the best motion-handling you're going to get for the lifetime of your set....

A

Anonymous

I think I'm just extremely sensitive to the motion blur, other people couldn't really notice it.

Have you ever reviewed this TV? Would be interesting to know what you thought of it.

I may still take the TV back if I can find a better alternative for the money, it's just the hassle of boxing it all up and taking it back to the shop, them things aren't small!! :)

That's the annoying thing, you can't really tell how good/bad anything is until you actually buy it and test it out thoroughly. I know reviews an give you a good idea but it still comes down to personal preferences at the end of the day.

A

Anonymous

ok!!I am in the same position and was previously only torn between the le40f86 and le40a656a1 series 6...........now after reading this thread i am dreaming about the toshiba 40xf355d too........i am just about to buy but i want to know............. if these had a threeway battle............who would win!!!??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts